Dry Food Rotation

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  • How many of you rotate dry foods for your cats?
  • How often?
  • How many different brands do you use?
  • How many different proteins?
When rotating, how many different brands do you feel is best?
I have about 3 brands I rotate amongst, but some say that 2 is enough or ideal. Others, on the other hand, have a long, long list of rotation they go through.

Just wondering what you do and what works for your kitties.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rotate between 3 different dry foods ( which is only about 25% of thier diet) the brands I roptate between are Taste of The Wild,Natures Variety Instinct and Go grainfree chicken turkey and duck, I rotate from one bag to the next ( large bags) by slowly mixing in the new food until they are eating just that one.My cats have had no issues with me doing it like this.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A breeder I know uses three dry foods, but she mixes them all together, so I guess you wouldn't really call that a "rotation" per se. All three foods are considered "premium"; I guess she just likes her cats to have variety!

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

A breeder I know uses three dry foods, but she mixes them all together, so I guess you wouldn't really call that a "rotation" per se. All three foods are considered "premium"; I guess she just likes her cats to have variety!
My ragdoll breeder did that too ...

um, at the moment i have 2 different types of foods but their the same brand.

ETA; i use chicken soup and kirkland foods.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've finally found something they all like and aren't throwing up, so I've been sticking to it for a while now. It's Wellness Core.

For a while I was mixing in something called "harmony farms" which has pretty good ingredients but some grains. I'm not sure what the benefits are of rotating but I think if my cats started to get picky about the Wellness I would mix something else in.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't rotate, but for the last 7 months have been feeding at least a couple different kinds of dry food at a time. Right now we have 3 mixed: Wellness Indoor, Ca. Natural Chicken & Purina One Vibrant Maturity.

Previously we were mixing 2 kinds of Iams, Royal Canin, the remainder of a bag of Nutro Max kitten, & 2 kinds of Purina.

My cats seem to really like having a mix, especially my senior guy, so I'm ok with it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
right now the rotation is based on $$$$

Taste of the wild about 50% of the time

Acana and Orijen the other 50%

soon to intro kirkland

I rotate about every other bag ie every other month

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The breeder my cats is coming from uses a mix of Natures Variety Instinct (is that right) Chicken and Pro Plan chicken&rice hairball. I plan to continue the same diet. She also feeds Natures Variety chicken wet food.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

right now the rotation is based on $$$$

Taste of the wild about 50% of the time

Acana and Orijen the other 50%

soon to intro kirkland

I rotate about every other bag ie every other month
That is about how I do it too
( except it is every bag because I buy the big bags) I use those 3 brands because they were the only grain free ones ALL 5 would eat with no problems at all! I don't hear much about the GO chicken turkey and duck though, what do you think of it??in your opinion is it worth the price?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rotate for 2 reasons 1. so the cats don't get bored with the food and 2. Incase a food in lacking or missing something, it can be made up with another food.It works for us also
is another reason!The cats are healthy and happy!

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Taste of the Wild and Calif. Natural Chicken and Rice. These were the two that everyone did well on....no digestive issues.

I was rotating and then just mixed the two half/half. I did this because they would not eat much of one brand and then act as if starving when the next brand came up. So I mixed.

I hear all the good reasons nutritionally to rotate, but if store is out of stock of their food (I can't get it) and then if there is ever a recall on a brand/type of food I will have a back up that they are accustomed to eating.

The dry food is just one portion of their diet. Canned two times a day and investigating adding some raw.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go naturals is good..( I also do big bags , one per month ..) $$$ wise depends if it is the price of acana and orijen I could justify it but here it run s 10 $ plus more

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Go naturals is good..( I also do big bags , one per month ..) $$$ wise depends if it is the price of acana and orijen I could justify it but here it run s 10 $ plus more
I order it online because nowhere close by sells it! It is one of the few that all 5 cats could and WOULD eat!lol

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I order it online because nowhere close by sells it! It is one of the few that all 5 cats could and WOULD eat!lol
Need me to send the I will eat it if not allergic squad

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Need me to send the I will eat it if not allergic squad
I think I just may have the pickiest cats on the earth!!lol I have tried sosososo many different catfoods with grains withour grains high quality not so high quality ( before I knew better of course, and of course they LKED THAT)lol but yeah I finally got them eating something they all seem to like (knock on wood) and have even gotten some raw in a few times a week ( all except 2 love it ) and now the wet food is what is giving me trouble! they like it for a little while and then refuse to eat it???? picky boogers! luckily I have some ferals I feed too ( that eat very well too) lol