Kirkland Brand Causing Diarrhea?

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried gradually switching all of the cats from Purina Indoor formula to Costco's Kirkland brand, but after their first mixed meal, though, their BM's were anything but pleasant, so I introduced it to them extra slow. The more Kirkland, the more their systems went HAYWIRE. I was shocked when each one of them developed "can't-hold-it" diarrhea, and Pumpkin's became so bad that the only place you couldn't smell it was outside, so I immediately switched them back to the Purina Indoor. Voila! By that night they had perfect poos & were back to normal.

Why in the world - how - could Kirkland have made them so sick when it's better? They were and are perfectly healthy. I've done this (introducing new food) many times throughout my life and have never had this kind of result or anything close. Is this something I should contact the company about?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a tough one! It could be a bad bag of food or it could simply be that there is something in the ingredients that doesn't agree with your cats. I'd be inclined to give the rest of the food to a local shelter and try a different brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys! I was really taken off guard by it. I like your suggestion Yosemite - we're going to donate the rest of the bag and inform them of what happened so they can decide whether to use it or not. It'd be a waste if it's perfectly good food!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May I ask how you introduced amount of days etc...

I can't imagine that it would have anything too drastically different from purina to affect a whole group of cats unless it was a bad bag of food.

Leslie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea - when we lived on the farm, the outside cats got the Kirkland with no problems. They were very healthy eating it. It could be the bag or they changed the formula - hope you can figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

May I ask how you introduced amount of days etc...

I can't imagine that it would have anything too drastically different from purina to affect a whole group of cats unless it was a bad bag of food.

Leslie
Everyone free feeds from a bowl that holds four cups, so I mixed 1/4 cup of the Kirkland in every day for about a week. By 2 1/2 weeks we were at 1/2 cup Kirkland with 4 cups Purina, but it was so bad that I abandoned it all together.

Is a 'bad bag' of food common? What makes a 'bad bag' anyway?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

Everyone free feeds from a bowl that holds four cups, so I mixed 1/4 cup of the Kirkland in every day for about a week. By 2 1/2 weeks we were at 1/2 cup Kirkland with 4 cups Purina, but it was so bad that I abandoned it all together.

Is a 'bad bag' of food common? What makes a 'bad bag' anyway?
Dry food can go rancid.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to say something unpopular on here... perhaps you have cats best regulated by a food with some corn in it ...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to say something unpopular on here... perhaps you have cats best regulated by a food with some corn in it ...

I have had similar experiences with some of the better foods. My cats indeed seem to do better on food with corn in it. We had samples of Chicken Soup, and just a little bit of that would cause diarrhea for my cats. They liked it a lot, but it didn't agree with them. We had similar issues with a few other brands too. I put them back on Iams and their BMs went back to normal overnight.