Cat Hanging Around

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are not sure this little cat is a stray, but he is waiting by my best friends garage everyday for him when he gets home. He seems a little shy and nervous, but will come when called. The poor thing looks half starved, so my friend is leaving a bowl of kibble and leaves a plate of wet food out in the morning.

We are just not sure what to do. No collar, the cat is always around. I even put a box out, flipped it over and piled it with some fleece, its just been so cold and I hate to think the little thing is outside with nowhere to get warm.

Im not sure what to do and my friend is just about beside himself with worry for the little thing. The cat looks like a yellow pointed siamese (I have no idea what that color is). I have ben wondering if maybe someone dumped him rather than taking him to a shelter..although they are near to bursting with cats in our area.

Anyway to gain the cats trust a little more? Should we try to get him vetted? Maybe try to find his owners if they are in the neighborhood?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where in SE Michigan are you? You can PM me. Feeding him at a regular time every day will go a long way to gaining his trust. He can be trapped with a humane trap and quarantined, vetted, etc. You can post on CL and/or put up flyers... don't post his pic and make the descript a little vague so that someone can say, my kitty had an orange collar and a white tip on his tail.. you know -- really ID him. OR he can be checked for a chip by a vet or the Humane Society.

What is your plan for him? To find his owner, to find him a home, to keep him?

When you say yellow siamese mix - do you mean he has light orange or yellow points and blue eyes? (which makes him a flame point).

ETA: There is indeed a lot of dumping and abandonment going on around here b/c of the economy.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any possibility your friend can take him in, since he is so worried?
The first step would be to take him to the vet, get checked and spayed, if necessary. From that point on, you should look for the parents, and go from there...
If he looks starved, sounds to me he has been abandoned, instead of being an inside/outside cat...
Whatever you do, good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im in the Taylor/Dbn Hgts area. I believe this little fella may in fact be a flame point smeezer.

I think we will try to catch him and take him to see if he might have a microchip. He is not wearing a collar. I would like to find his owners if they are looking, I would be sick with worry if it were my cat. If there is no owner, looks like he will have found a home

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO this is an easy answer. If the kitty is hungry and looks thin and uncared for, it now would belong to me! I found a handsome tuxedo fellow in my yard last year who was in terrible shape, matted, very skinny but very friendly and would come to me and let me pet him and even cut out some of the matts while he was eating. I took him to the vet our local no-kill shelter uses where he was neutered, shaved, de-wormed and taken care of before they took him to the shelter. It took a few months but he was adopted to a loving forever home. My hubby said I should not have just taken him, but I figure if the owners don't care enough to feed and take care of an animal, they don't deserve to have that animal. The poor fellow I took in was so matted around his behind I don't know how he even used the bathroom, plus he had a hard time walking right with all the matts.

Take the kitty in and have it taken care of please.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In all such cases when you arent sure if it is a homeless or having a home but on adventures/astray:

Help him as he seemingly does need help, but parallell write him up at the message boards in the neighbourhood, etc... Ie seek after the owner if there is one...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for caring about that poor kitty....my niece in-law knew of a cat abandoning (kitties were registered, etc) in MI and were at a loss as to what to do. The people (relatives by marriage) let their home go into foreclosure, packed up the dogs & snakes and left
My other niece dropped off some food in the forest nearby, called AC who said they were overwhelmed with animal abandonments
, and that was the end of it....
That was almost a year ago....
Michiganders have been suffering terribly for a long time now...I wish that we could get some sort of coalition who could contribute a dollar each, to one cause, 1 month at a time, and maybe it could help out. Sending prayers out to MI

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Im in the Taylor/Dbn Hgts area. I believe this little fella may in fact be a flame point smeezer.

I think we will try to catch him and take him to see if he might have a microchip. He is not wearing a collar. I would like to find his owners if they are looking, I would be sick with worry if it were my cat. If there is no owner, looks like he will have found a home
So glad that you or your friend are willing to do right by this kitty! If you wanted to find him a new home, I might have been able to help with that. I volunteer with a rescue in the area and we have a lot of fosters already in the downriver area. I would have recruited you (lol)! And helped you rehome the little darling.

minouloveblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My second cat was a stray that came to my house in Michigan. He came every morning and evening at the same time and tried to come in. I fed him for weeks and tried to find his owner to no avail. I had to move house (not far, just five miles away) and a neighbor convinced me she would feed him and that he was better off in the area - perhaps he'd go home. I was fall an the weather was mild.
Two days later I found out she had called animal control and the cat was at the pound. Luckily, the "pound" was my vet. I called, explained, said if no one claimed the cat I would adopt him (an apple-head Siamese mix, very sweet). The vet said he would run tests, etc. and after the required seven days I could pick him up. Poor I named him Blue because of his eyes and he's been with me for the past eight years.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by minouloveblue

My second cat was a stray that came to my house in Michigan. He came every morning and evening at the same time and tried to come in. I fed him for weeks and tried to find his owner to no avail. I had to move house (not far, just five miles away) and a neighbor convinced me she would feed him and that he was better off in the area - perhaps he'd go home. I was fall an the weather was mild.
Two days later I found out she had called animal control and the cat was at the pound. Luckily, the "pound" was my vet. I called, explained, said if no one claimed the cat I would adopt him (an apple-head Siamese mix, very sweet). The vet said he would run tests, etc. and after the required seven days I could pick him up. Poor I named him Blue because of his eyes and he's been with me for the past eight years.
What a terrible person!!!!! So glad that Blue ended up with you!!!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Feeding him at a regular time every day will go a long way to gaining his trust.
Definitely, and if he's a stray and you do this, I'll bet he'll warm up to you pretty fast. I've made friends with lots of kitties this way.

minouloveblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And from my own experience - limited as it is - the stray will love you. The cat I got from the shelter before Blue who was still a kitten at 16 weeks, has darted out from time to time when the door was open and that big tree beckoned. Not Blue. He came out once or twice when Minou did a runner (up the tree and then down after some coaxing) and sat on the step. He promptly returned inside when I waved him in. "No more outside for me," says Blue....

Love the little stray, the love will be returned fourfold.