How do you watch movies?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um...while sitting on the couch?

We bought a Samsung series 8 LCD recently (DH is a gamer) and use the ps3 to play dvds and blu-ray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Um...while sitting on the couch?
I try to stand on my head.... burn a little more calories. LMAO.
Actually, I'm a floor sitter for my movies.

We bought a Samsung series 8 LCD recently (DH is a gamer) and use the ps3 to play dvds and blu-ray.
Would that be renting them or you luck out and get em for free (read something like that in the new movie thread).

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We go to the theater a few times a year, to see movies we both really want to see. If we can wait, we usually just put them on our Netflix que and wait for them to come out. I also put movies on my ipod to watch while I'm on my lunch break at work.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather ent or buy a movie and watch it at home! I hate being in a movie thatre sitting close to a bunch of strangers breathing in thier germs (eeeeeeeww) plus at home I can pause,rewind and watch it again if I want to

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I try to stand on my head.... burn a little more calories. LMAO.
Actually, I'm a floor sitter for my movies.
I have problems with sitting on the floor - my butt simply doesn't have much padding... or much of a butt, which ever way you want to phrase that.

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

Would that be renting them or you luck out and get em for free (read something like that in the new movie thread).
Free usually. A new release dvd costs $4.37 with tax here in town, that adds up quickly.
We also have netflix and an Xbox live platinum account, so we can stream movies and watch them our tv.

Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

I would rather ent or buy a movie and watch it at home! I hate being in a movie thatre sitting close to a bunch of strangers breathing in thier germs (eeeeeeeww) plus at home I can pause,rewind and watch it again if I want to
If you're worried about germs, renting dvds is not a way to avoid them. I've had dvds be turned in with feces and urine on them, one even came in with a case full of cockroaches!
Ironically though, I'm about 99% sure that urine was tomcat spray! ...the things cat owners learn/know.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I said DVD because I prefer to be able to rewind. My hubby has the terrible habit of talking throughout a movie or repeating something that has been said because he thought it was funny/interesting. DD and I miss half the dialog in a movie so rewinding is very necessary. I have actually sat in a different row at the theatre so he wouldn't talk during the movie.

Unfortunately because I was sitting several rows behind him and couldn't hear him talking, I fell asleep at the theatre during Apollo 13.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I have problems with sitting on the floor - my butt simply doesn't have much padding... or much of a butt, which ever way you want to phrase that.

Free usually. A new release dvd costs $4.37 with tax here in town, that adds up quickly.
We also have netflix and an Xbox live platinum account, so we can stream movies and watch them our tv.

If you're worried about germs, renting dvds is not a way to avoid them. I've had dvds be turned in with feces and urine on them, one even came in with a case full of cockroaches!
Ironically though, I'm about 99% sure that urine was tomcat spray! ...the things cat owners learn/know.
eeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!!! really> well actually I was only thinking of people coughing,colds and that kind of thing! eeeeeeeeeeww thanks for that info
I will NOT be renting any more movies!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I voted movie theater and buy DVDs. My mom and I love to go to the movies together. We wait until the movie has been shown for awhile and go on a weekday afternoon. That way we usually have the theater to ourselves. Oh, and it's not a movie without popcorn and a drink.

Sometimes I buy movies I really liked and want to see again; the Lord of the Rings trilogy for example. I also buy martial arts movies and some anime. Those are movies that don't usally play at the theater.

When I clean house I like to put one of my favorites in the DVD player to watch and listen to; like Ice Age or Mama Mia! Keeps the energy flowing while doing house work (which I despise.)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by proudmamiof4

eeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!!! really> well actually I was only thinking of people coughing,colds and that kind of thing! eeeeeeeeeeww thanks for that info
I will NOT be renting any more movies!
I can guarantee that there's viruses on several of those dvd cases...

Don't let this stop you from renting. Just don't go licking any dvd cases.
Don't let little ones chew/slobber on the cases either... I hate to think of all the germs children/babies get exposed to when their parents let hold the dvd and this happens. I also hate slobbery dvds...
But like with touching any other surface, keep your hands away from your mouth and just wash your hands regularly.
I advise people do the same with library books.

To put people's minds at ease, at times I handle 300-500 dvds (sometimes more). I have yet to get sick from any of them. Though there's the possibility that I might have picked up C. diff at work, this would have been from a feces covered case someone handed me because they were trading the game in - and not something the public would have been exposed to. If dvds are nasty I personally do try to clean them up before putting them on the shelves.

I keep forgetting, DH and I have all the movie channels (free for now) and usually record a few. I love having a dvr!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I voted "other" because I basically don't watch movies. I go to a movie theater maybe once every 2 or 3 years and rent movies less often than that. I've never purchased one, although I borrowed a couple from my niece about a year ago and never got around to returning them until last week.

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow I have rented anything in probably 10 years. I watch a lot more online now and occasionally the ones I really like I purchase. Or I just for the movie to come on HBO or cinemax.lol

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do a combo of 3 choices, although I didn't realize it was multiple choice poll and only voted for one

If I really really really want to see a movie at the theatre I will attempt to go, but I really only go out to the movies maybe 3 times a year. Like I really would like to see the Watchmen in the theatre- surround sound and all that.

If there is a super good sale on DVDs, like the day after Thanksgiving, I will buy a few.

My vast maojrity of movies come thru my Netflix que, and actually, most of those are Seasons of TV shows and not movies

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually either watch DVDs of BlueRays. If it something good we'll buy it otherwise we rent and if we have a choice we'll get the BR. Of course, lately we've been watching a lot of movies through the computer. We use a VGA out to play it on the big TV.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to rent DVD's by mail but I recently cancelled that service. We bought a harddisk recorder last year and I record wáááy to many movies, I think I have about 23 on the disk right now. No need to rent DVD's anymore.
We don't visit the cinema as often as we used to, too.

The downside to my current "system" is that I don't get to see new movies when they first come out, but since my taste generally does not include blockbuster movies I don't get to talk about new movies often anyway.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm like taking an 8 year old to the theater - I cannot sit still through an entire movie. So I watch them at home - pausing them periodically to get up & move.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm like taking an 8 year old to the theater - I cannot sit still through an entire movie. So I watch them at home - pausing them periodically to get up & move.
Are you related to my husband? At the theatre, not only does he talk but he bounces one leg up and down all the time. That makes my seat bounce and it's just annoying! At home he is always pausing to get up for a tea or to go to the bathroom or to have a smoke (before he quit smoking). Meanwhile we sit in front of the TV with the movie on pause waiting for him.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We either watch them when they are on cable, and therefore we can go to the OnDemand section of our cable system and pick from a list of free or pay (which we never do) movies to watch that are being played on Stars, HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime. If it is a new release and we really want to watch it now before it comes onto cable, we go to the grocery store and rent the dvd for $1 per night from RedBox, rather than pay $6 to watch it through OnDemand.

Occasionally we go see movies in the theater, but very rarely. Maybe one or two per year. We do buy a lot of DVDs, occasionally a new release but most often we search through the $5 bin at Walmart to find the DVDs we like. We used to go once a month to Hollywood Video and buy their 5 for $25 DVDs, but there aren't any open anymore. We have quite a collection of DVDs now, and we watch them frequently.