Portion control when feeding wet and dry

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can somebody help me figure out how much I should be feeding my cats if I feed both wet and dry? Swanie is about 16 pounds and could maybe stand to lose a little, but he's generally a big cat. The vet doesn't seem concerned about his weight, he's a big guy all the way around. Cindy is about 8 pounds and just about right.

The wet food can says that I should be feeding 2 cans a day per 8 lbs of body weight, and the dry food says 1/2 cup for a 9 lb cat and 3/4 cup for a 12 pound cat.

I currently feed both:

About 1/2 of a 3 oz can three times a day (or maybe a little more if I have the bigger cans), and 1/2 cup of dry at night for them to snack on. They get more dry during the day, because they harass DH until he puts some in the bowl, despite my repeatedly asking him not to (I'd rather he open a can and give them some wet).

They also get treats, mostly greenies, but not nearly as many as the greenies package recommends. Swanie usually gets more because I use them as a "bribe" to get him to do stuff or stop doing stuff.

Based on that, it doesn't sound like I'm over feeding them. In fact, it almost sounds like I'm under-feeding Swanie. Cindy is better at self-regulating, but even Swanie doesn't always finish everything that I put in his bowl (other times he helps himself to what Cindy leaves).

I've tried and tried to figure out how much I should really be feeding them and I just can't get my brain around it. I don't want to over feed or under feed them, especially Swanie, since Cindy does a good job of self-regulating. Does anybody have any guidance?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THIS is very very rough guideline

10 lb cat 1/4 cup of dry and 3oz wet

so

1/2 cup and 3oz would be fine one would think for 15 lb

4.5 oz wet and 1/2 cup dry would feed yours fine by my guesstimate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sharky. I was going nuts trying to figure all that out.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your welcome ... many of us have been there...

here is how a conventional vet explained it to me...

10 lb cat only dry 1/2 cup per day( 1 cup of dry on ave is 350-400 calories ) , only wet 5-10 oz per day ( remember ave can of wet in a 5-6 oz is roughly 250-300 calories )

so if you are mixing the two ... half the amounts of both if doing a 50/50

10 lb kitty get 1/4 cup dry and 3 oz wet

15 lb kitty 1/3 and 5 oz

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Your welcome ... many of us have been there...

here is how a conventional vet explained it to me...

10 lb cat only dry 1/2 cup per day( 1 cup of dry on ave is 350-400 calories ) , only wet 5-10 oz per day ( remember ave can of wet in a 5-6 oz is roughly 250-300 calories )

so if you are mixing the two ... half the amounts of both if doing a 50/50

10 lb kitty get 1/4 cup dry and 3 oz wet

15 lb kitty 1/3 and 5 oz
Do feeding guidelines change for kittens? Argh!! Its been 20 years since I had a kitten in the house, so much to relearn and try to remember.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Do feeding guidelines change for kittens? Argh!! Its been 20 years since I had a kitten in the house, so much to relearn and try to remember.
yes double or triple depending on food for a kitten under 6 months

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

What about a kitten between 6 and a year old? Do you use the adult cat guidelines if you're feeding cat and kitten food?
I usually free feed a kitten till 12-18 months, then go to adult guidelines and measure free feed

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks sharky. I can't free feed my kitten as the other cat and my dog would eat it before he'd get to it. So I'll use the kitten guidelines until 12-18 months then...