Snowing in Atlanta

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The view out my window a few minutes ago. First snow we've seen here in at least 4-5 years.

The cats are going nuts looking out the window at the falling snowflakes! Shelby in particular.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to run out and get bread and milk.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love snow, but not in march. I just went shopping for summer clothes...
I hope it melts fast.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Möbius

You KNOW northerners are NOT going to get that joke!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Believe it or not, people do it here, too. And don't forget the eggs!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You KNOW northerners are NOT going to get that joke!
Totally not true.

During the blizzard of '78 in New England, all roads were shut down for over a week and all stores that managed to stay open actually DID run out of bread and milk.

To this day, anytime a blizzard is forecast, there's a run on bread and milk at the stores.

So in fact, we not only get the joke, we think it's funnier that SOUTHERNERS are freaking out so much about a mere couple inches of snow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The worst part is.... I have to go to the store because I really do need bread and milk!

I'm a northerner (from NJ) also known around these parts as a 'Damn Yankee.'

I remember the blizzard of '78, we were off from school for nearly a week
and I made almost $200 shovelling sidewalks and driveways.

I also remember the blizzard of '84 that had me stuck in a hotel in DC for two days!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol the snow didn't bother me,I went for some shopping
I've lived in Atlanta for 7 years and I didn't even think the part about needing bread and milk was a joke, it didn't even cross my mind...
The city of Atlanta is full of 'yankees' and all kinds of people from foreign countries anyway. It's the rest of Georgia that's purely southern, Atlanta is not so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mobius

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier, I did went out to the store for a few things. Like milk. And bread. And cat food.

The snow isn't sticking to the roads, but as the temp drops tonight, this will all turn to ice. Gonna be a fun commute tomorrow.

BTW, have you ever seen a Bentley in a snow storm?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Möbius

I KNOW what it means - I'm originally from Maryland. Hubby (not hubby yet at the time) came out to see me in person. The weatherman said we might get an inch of snow....and I told him we need to go to the store for milk (we had bread and I really did need milk).

Well he almost died laughing so hard in the store - we went down the bread isle and a few loaves were on the shelf. And where the milk was there was NONE! - not even a pint left. He could not stop laughing about this for hours.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

You're right, I don't get it
I am about as North as it gets on TCS I think.
We southerners freak out and run out to stock up if the weatherman predicts so much as a snow flurry.

I'm in Atlanta, I have 6inches of snow outside my apartment. The road is slushy and wet, so if the temp drops any lower (its 33 now) we'll have an ice problem tomorrow. We don't really have the technology down here to clear the roads when they freeze.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like the freak snowstorm WE got last march...
this is my car after driving home - normally a 10 minute drive - took an hour that day [mostly because of traffic - plus, it was STILL snowing, so no clearing happening]

this was out my front window

& back

it was pretty thick - took 3-4 days to completely melt.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its been snowing in northeast ohio since before thanksgiving time... I hate snow.. And my cats are sick of it too
Looks like a blizzard brewing out there right now and its 12 degrees. I only saw the shelves at the all stores empty once this winter and that was after a 2 day power outage... Im really sick of looking for my mailbox in the snow drift blown off by the plow truck.. Its a wonder by March it hasnt been ran over and smashed like it ends up every other winter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most schools ended up being closed today, even though the snow is all melted
. Unfortunately for me, Georgia tech didn't cancel classes

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm one of those few people that actually loves cold weather and snow (but not ice). I don't even mind driving in snow. But, I hate when they forecast snow. I could get all paranoid thinking the grocery stores pay the news channels to forecast it even when we don't get any to get people to buy tons of necessities! That's a huge joke in these parts - a milk and bread run
Even when we only get flurries people around here go absolutely nuts!