Anything in TOTW that might trigger allergy in a cat?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that Cindy is starting to lose some fur on her back legs again. The last time that happened, the vet thought it was from allergies. I switched her food and the fur grew back. Recently I started feeding TOTW, so I'm wondering if that's to blame. The other thing I've done recently food-wise is to start giving her more of the Nutro Natural Choice (canned), and different flavors, trying to transition away from Authority. I've stopped feeding her both for the time being.

TOTW:

Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, roasted venison, smoked salmon, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything can possibly trigger an allergy. Chicken seems to be a common allergen - and some cats cannot tolerate potatoes.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
peas then potato( regular not sweet), fish , chicken

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. Hmm, I wonder if it's the peas. She has had food with chicken and fish with no problems, but I notice that both TOTW and some of the Nutro has peas, so she would bet getting a double whammy.

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the cat showing physical signs like excessive scratching in addition to the hair loss? Just wondering.

I recently switched from ProPlan over to TOTW, and also noticed a "shed event"--basically a higher than normal amount of shedding. I'm not ready to attribute it to the food change though. Could it be a seasonal hair loss event, unrelated to diet? Could it just be that the cat is losing some of it's winter coat? I've just increased rounds with the Furminator to get rid of the loose stuff and am just keeping the fur loss in the back of my head for now. Alpine is nowhere near getting thin hair, or hair coming out in patches, so I'm not at the point of worrying.

At the very least, Alpine seems just as happy with TOTW, so that's been a relief!

yelloweyes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please help me out here: What does TOTW stand for? Is there a place to look up abbreviations like this? I must live on another planet

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alpine'sMom

I recently switched from ProPlan over to TOTW, and also noticed a "shed event"--basically a higher than normal amount of shedding. I'm not ready to attribute it to the food change though. Could it be a seasonal hair loss event, unrelated to diet? Could it just be that the cat is losing some of it's winter coat? I've just increased rounds with the Furminator to get rid of the loose stuff and am just keeping the fur loss in the back of my head for now. Alpine is nowhere near getting thin hair, or hair coming out in patches, so I'm not at the point of worrying.
When I switched Kizzy's food over to TOTW, he shed alot.... which IMO was from his fur growing in thicker and healthy with the better diet. It lasted prolly bout 2wks.... now he hardly sheds at all. I do think it was from the food change, but in a good way. If he hadn't shed so much, he would be a HUGE ball o' fur.....HUGE.

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

When I switched Kizzy's food over to TOTW, he shed alot.... which IMO was from his fur growing in thicker and healthy with the better diet. It lasted prolly bout 2wks.... now he hardly sheds at all. I do think it was from the food change, but in a good way. If he hadn't shed so much, he would be a HUGE ball o' fur.....HUGE.
You know what? I think you have something here!

You reminded me of when we first got Alpine. She was a stray, and when she started getting fed regularly, she had a major shed event, then the new fir was of much higher quality. Seems like this may be happening again!

Sorry OP, for highjacking the thread a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alpine'sMom

You know what? I think you have something here!

You reminded me of when we first got Alpine. She was a stray, and when she started getting fed regularly, she had a major shed event, then the new fir was of much higher quality. Seems like this may be happening again!

Sorry OP, for highjacking the thread a bit.
No worries about the highjack, it's all related.

I don't know what was up with Cindy, it was mostly her back legs that was affected and some thinning on her side. She's growing it all back in nicely though, so I don't know what was up. I'm still giving her small amounts of TOTW, but I stopped with the Nutro (wet) for now, both of which I had started giving her at the same time. Well, at least I had started giving her more Nutro, and different flavors, than previously as I was trying to transition them off Authority. As long as she's growing the fur back, I'm not going to change what I'm doing.