Internet Explorer Issues?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the past few days, whenever I try using IE, I get "kicked off" and sent back to my desktop. At first I thought it had something to do with my ISP, but I'm not having any problems using Firefox or Google Chrome.

Has anyone else been experiencing any problems with IE?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you might have a spyware... Scan your computer with a good anti-spyware/anti-virus and see what you find.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it just was today?

I use firefox but installed turbotax today and evidently has its updates tied in with IE?
I called my dial up ISP and they said to update to IE7. I uninstalled my ISP and re-installed. IE was still giving be cannot find server / DNS errors which I have been researching for several hours today! I finally got turbotax to update (which its doing now)
IE I think might be working ok but my computer is running so slow right know I don't want to mess with IE right now.
This is Deja Vue as I was going to post on this tonite!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

It sounds like you might have a spyware... Scan your computer with a good anti-spyware/anti-virus and see what you find.
I performed a thorough scan today for viruses, and there weren't any infected files. I'm not sure if I even have any spyware installed, TBH.

Originally Posted by GailC

Maybe it just was today?
For me, it has been occurring for several days now. I'm wondering if the problem may have something to do with all the issues that IE has been having lately.

I called my dial up ISP and they said to update to IE7.
I don't think that's the problem, b/c I have IE7.
I think it's an issue with all versions of IE. But I'm certainly no expert.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

performed a thorough scan today for viruses, and there weren't any infected files. I'm not sure if I even have any spyware installed, TBH.
[/font]
Spyware installs itself - you won't know you have it unless you use a spy/ad ware scanner or regularly look through your windows registry and can easily spot things that shouldn't be there. Most people don't do the latter...

AVG makes a good spyware scanner/remover

HijackThis is another good program for checking the registry, what's running, and for any add-ons that you may not have intentionally installed. This one tends to be for the more advanced user, but if you ever encounter a tougher to deal with problem this is a good program to get, install, and save the report for someone more knowledgeable to look over. Most people on tech forums will ask to see what the report from this says.
I used to use a similar one called SilentRunners, which unlike HijackThis, did not have options directly in it for you to change anything. It didn't need to be installed and just made the report from the scan - which I preferred.

Gail - you've been uninstalling stuff from your ISP and reinstalling it. Have you tried releasing and renewing your DNS? I'm not sure if that will help, but it might. Also open IE and double check your settings within it under Tools>Internet options. Make sure it's set correctly for dialup. It may or may not be trying to redial.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Gail - you've been uninstalling stuff from your ISP and reinstalling it. Have you tried releasing and renewing your DNS? I'm not sure if that will help, but it might. Also open IE and double check your settings within it under Tools>Internet options. Make sure it's set correctly for dialup. It may or may not be trying to redial.
The Dialup is set up correctly. But how would I go about releasing and renewing my DNS.

I have avast and MalWarebites Anti Malware and those programs didn't find anything but I load the AVG one and give it a try.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But how would I go about releasing and renewing my DNS.
I will tell you, but it might be easier for you to just look up "release renew DNS" in google.
Here is a link though that might help you understand what you will be doing a little better and where to check next if this does not work.

To release and renew, you go to your start menu > run > type "cmd" (no quotes). Your command prompt will pop up. In it type "ipconfig/release", after it does that type "ipconfig /renew".

Actually I shouldn't have said dns - I'm getting mixed up from dealing with vista last.

I'm not saying this will work, but it's worth a try just in case. The reason I wanted you to recheck IE is because updating it likely did change some settings you didn't need changed - that was one of the things I always hated about windows.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Spyware installs itself - you won't know you have it unless you use a spy/ad ware scanner or regularly look through your windows registry and can easily spot things that shouldn't be there. Most people don't do the latter...

AVG makes a good spyware scanner/remover

HijackThis is another good program for checking the registry, what's running, and for any add-ons that you may not have intentionally installed. This one tends to be for the more advanced user, but if you ever encounter a tougher to deal with problem this is a good program to get, install, and save the report for someone more knowledgeable to look over. Most people on tech forums will ask to see what the report from this says.
I used to use a similar one called SilentRunners, which unlike HijackThis, did not have options directly in it for you to change anything. It didn't need to be installed and just made the report from the scan - which I preferred.

I will tell you, but it might be easier for you to just look up "release renew DNS" in google.
Here is a link though that might help you understand what you will be doing a little better and where to check next if this does not work.

To release and renew, you go to your start menu > run > type "cmd" (no quotes). Your command prompt will pop up. In it type "ipconfig/release", after it does that type "ipconfig /renew".

Actually I shouldn't have said dns - I'm getting mixed up from dealing with vista last.

I'm not saying this will work, but it's worth a try just in case. The reason I wanted you to recheck IE is because updating it likely did change some settings you didn't need changed - that was one of the things I always hated about windows.
All of this is way over my head
-- as usual.

I guess I don't mind using Firefox (like what choice do I really have right now, anyway?), but trying to figure out which of their programs to install is giving me a headache!
And how do you know which plug-in & add-ons you're supposed to really need?
From what I've been able to gather by checking over their website, some of them aren't really necessary and may actually cause a virus or something to infect your computer.

Another thing I noticed is that my flash player isn't working with some websites, and I'm getting a message saying that I need to install a flash player. I thought that as long as you already had it installed on your computer it wasn't necessary for you to reinstall it if you're using a different browser.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strangewings

Isn't there a spyware program automatically installed in your antivirus program?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Isn't there a spyware program automatically installed in your antivirus program?
Not mine, I don't use windows, don't get spyware, don't have an antivirus program and I'm not about to go look for a virus or rootkit to install.

As for one included for you, no. Generally you need to get a separate scanner for spy and adware.

Don't worry about the suggestions I was giving Gail - that isn't the problem you're having.
Your's just sounds like IE has spyware.
As for ad-ons, no you don't need all of them. Most just get adblocker plus and leave it at that. IMO that is the only one that is a must get. Themes are up to you, get some if you want your firefox to look different - again, not necessary. Tool bars are where you run into problems. They tend to slow things down or let malware in so it's best to just not use any of them.
Anything else tends to be extra stuff you don't need.

Plug-ins for flash and java. No, each browser needs it's specific plug-in for these. Just follow the instructions/links and install the ones you need.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah and I thought it was just MY computer. Have a full security suite from Comcast and ran the scan a couple of times - nothing. I will try AVG... and re-downloaded IE7 and it seems ok for now.

My brother has a medical software company and doesn't like IE - he uses Firefox.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not mine, I don't use windows, don't get spyware, don't have an antivirus program and I'm not about to go look for a virus or rootkit to install.

As for one included for you, no. Generally you need to get a separate scanner for spy and adware.

Don't worry about the suggestions I was giving Gail - that isn't the problem you're having.
Your's just sounds like IE has spyware.
As for ad-ons, no you don't need all of them. Most just get adblocker plus and leave it at that. IMO that is the only one that is a must get. Themes are up to you, get some if you want your firefox to look different - again, not necessary. Tool bars are where you run into problems. They tend to slow things down or let malware in so it's best to just not use any of them.
Anything else tends to be extra stuff you don't need.

Plug-ins for flash and java. No, each browser needs it's specific plug-in for these. Just follow the instructions/links and install the ones you need.
Again, I'm impressed by all your knowledge, StrangeWings! You really are a fountain of information!

I haven't added much from Firefox, but I just HAD to download their cool cat theme!
I still can't get onto IE, and am beginning to think I'm better off using Firefox anyway - especially considering all the "horror" stories I've been reading about. All these problems with it just confirms what I've been reading, IMHO.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you really need to try to get rid of any bad stuff lurking on your pc. It is fairly well known that IE always has some security issue or another, so yes firefox is better - not perfect, but less likely to cause you as many problems. Just make sure to get adblocker plus so you can get rid of most pop ups and ads on websites.

AddieBee - If I'm reading this correctly, your "security suite" is McAfee. It's not the best, and some stuff may still be missed. If you're a little more adept with pc's and willing to try it, try the HijackThis that I linked to earlier and see if anything is lurking that McAfee is missing. Look for odd names, double check stuff by looking it up in google.

11:40 pm central time - Go figure, I try to post this and the site's having issues!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Maybe it just was today?

I use firefox but installed turbotax today and evidently has its updates tied in with IE?
No. TurboTax has its own web client (called "AnswerWorks") that communicates with Intuit to verify you have a licensed copy and a background application (called "IntuitUpdaterService") that checks for updates. It's not dependent on IE. Though as with anything else, I suppose there could be conflicts on some systems.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even though I haven't finished updated IE I had in the past a problem with my dial up ISP software. I uninstalled and re-installed and was able to get Turbotax to update and IE is working now. People PC however has a security pack that seems to cause problems as I was unable to start Firefox this morning even though the Peoplepc sercurity pack firewall was turned off. So I uninstalled that and restarted and Firefox is ok. But my Outlook seems slower!! Argh!!!!!!!!
I ran network diagnostics and now it say Netwrk Adapters failed and when I open the boxes it says DNS Server Search order failed?? I'm on dial-up so why should I have this error?? So frustrating.
Then I also found out that while broadband is available to me the closest tower doesn't have the technology required. More joys of county living!!