Calling all artists on TCS!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that there are several artists here on TCS and thought we could all share our art with each other! Lets see your art, from crafts, architect, sculpture, photography, any artistic expression, please share!
I mainly focus on glass mosaic right now and here are a few pics of my work....

It's a little difficult to see the image clearly, the original pieces are much larger..............
Please share your art!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those really are beautiful! Out of the 4 I can't even pick out a favorite! Good job!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow those are amazing! I would love to do stuff like that but I dont think I have the patience...
I'm more of a crafter than an artist! I just do a bunch of random small crafty things. Although I am working on learning to sew, if my machine wasnt so temperamental!
But the things I am most proud of are my costumes. My favorites are these:
I had a gangster/vegas themed bday party for a few friends last year and revamped/made my costume.

I resewed the corset I bought it for $1 because the zipper was messed up, so I ripped out the zipper and just sewed it up, and put new ribbon in it. The skirt was about 2 inches below my knee and wasnt very fitted so I chopped it off and then I took 2 feather boas from Hancock Fabric and made myself a tail. (which was very awkward to have...)
I also too made these for all the girls:

I went to the party store and bought some cheapy water guns and garters. then I spray painted all of the guns black or silver added accent colors and then made holsters for the garters. They were a huge hit!
And no I didnt make the headdress I rented it from the costume store here!

My next fave was my halloween costume 2 years ago. It was a task that took around 3 weeks working on. It is completely made of duct tape. I started with a rough sketch for an elegant witch/vampire dress. At first I was going to make it out of normal fabric but my roomie and I are weird so I went for the duct tape. I went to walmart and bought 3 yards of $1 fabric to cut out the rough shape and make the dress a little easier on the skin. It took 4 rolls of black, 1 roll of red, one sacrificed bra for the hook, and a lot of patience.(its really hard to get duct tape apart if it sticks to itself...fyi)
But anyways here is the back:

and the front:

It was actually pretty comfy. but it did stretch a little as the night went on. I had a lot of compliments on it! It was fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

wow those are amazing! I would love to do stuff like that but I dont think I have the patience...
I'm more of a crafter than an artist! I just do a bunch of random small crafty things. Although I am working on learning to sew, if my machine wasnt so temperamental!
But the things I am most proud of are my costumes. My favorites are these:
I had a gangster/vegas themed bday party for a few friends last year and revamped/made my costume.

I resewed the corset I bought it for $1 because the zipper was messed up, so I ripped out the zipper and just sewed it up, and put new ribbon in it. The skirt was about 2 inches below my knee and wasnt very fitted so I chopped it off and then I took 2 feather boas from Hancock Fabric and made myself a tail. (which was very awkward to have...)
I also too made these for all the girls:

I went to the party store and bought some cheapy water guns and garters. then I spray painted all of the guns black or silver added accent colors and then made holsters for the garters. They were a huge hit!
And no I didnt make the headdress I rented it from the costume store here!

My next fave was my halloween costume 2 years ago. It was a task that took around 3 weeks working on. It is completely made of duct tape. I started with a rough sketch for an elegant witch/vampire dress. At first I was going to make it out of normal fabric but my roomie and I are weird so I went for the duct tape. I went to walmart and bought 3 yards of $1 fabric to cut out the rough shape and make the dress a little easier on the skin. It took 4 rolls of black, 1 roll of red, one sacrificed bra for the hook, and a lot of patience.(its really hard to get duct tape apart if it sticks to itself...fyi)
But anyways here is the back:

and the front:

It was actually pretty comfy. but it did stretch a little as the night went on. I had a lot of compliments on it! It was fun!
Those costumes are really good! I actually was a fashion designer for 10 years and started out doing the same thing! I was a go-go dancer (not a stripper!!) at a night club and naturally being an artist, wanted to be unique! I designing my outfits and then other dancers as well.......I started learning how to sew on a temperamental, basic Singer sewing machine and this was the most difficult challenge to over come! Simply having the patience with learning how to stitch, maintain the machine so it worked efficiently, and starting over again and again!
Keep up the determination, if you can look into a local sewing class or some teaching aid if you get overly frustrated. You definitely have talent, and if you enjoy it you should pursue it as possibly a career.
It wasn't for me in the long run, but I have to admit.....I love being able to go to the fabric store, choose what I want, and make my own curtains, or reupholster my couch, or make furniture covers, or tailor some pants, and so on!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Those costumes are really good! I actually was a fashion designer for 10 years and started out doing the same thing! I was a go-go dancer (not a stripper!!) at a night club and naturally being an artist, wanted to be unique! I designing my outfits and then other dancers as well.......I started learning how to sew on a temperamental, basic Singer sewing machine and this was the most difficult challenge to over come! Simply having the patience with learning how to stitch, maintain the machine so it worked efficiently, and starting over again and again!
Keep up the determination, if you can look into a local sewing class or some teaching aid if you get overly frustrated. You definitely have talent, and if you enjoy it you should pursue it as possibly a career.
It wasn't for me in the long run, but I have to admit.....I love being able to go to the fabric store, choose what I want, and make my own curtains, or reupholster my couch, or make furniture covers, or tailor some pants, and so on!
Thank you! my machine is a 1979 kenmore that my grandmother bought brand new from sears. I think the machine would rather be back at her house than with me. It sews fine for everyone but the moment I touch it something messes up... I dont get it... but I am looking into getting a new one. I have sewn a few things for myself and love it.
I'm looking into an interior design major so sewing will be a HUGE HUGE HUGE plus!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
capt_jordi - Those costumes are great, but I think there's only one thing missing. You need big makeup! Not quite drag queen style, but more dramatic to bring out your eyes.

cheylink - Your mosaics are very pretty. How long does it take you to complete an average piece?

I do paint, draw, make jewelry or any other art project I can get my hands on - unfortunately I usually give everything away so I don't have anything good to show.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anjhest

Cheylink, your mosaics are incredible!!!
they are beautiful!

We used to have a member on TCS who used to do beautiful sketches and she did some of my cat Elmo for me -they were amazing!