"My brush with fame"

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A guy who I have mentioned here before, known as Mr. Whitekeys, collected "my brush with fame" stories. He kept an interesting list, with people telling about how their mom's hairdresser's sister once threw up on Elvis, and such things. So...how about you? Did you have a brush with a famous person?

My closest such thing is that Tim Allen (then Tim Dick) attended the same school I did in Denver, when I was in fourth and fifth grade. He was a year behind me, and a year ahead of my brother. And no, I don't recall him.

After that, I have an acquaintance who performed in the LA production of "Hair," and a friend who played the drums on some Bangles recordings.

Got a story to tell?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tim Dick? No wonder he changed it

I saw "Dwayne Wayne" from "Its a Different World" at the train station in Toronto.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work at a restaurant that was down the street from one of Walter Payton's bars. He used to come into the restaurant on quiet nights to drink coffee and do his paperwork. I waited on him several times. He was a really nice guy, and a good tipper.

I also got to interview one of my favorite actresses, Marlee Matlin, for my college newspaper. She's a graduate of the community college I went to for two years. She was as wonderful in person as she seems. A few weeks later she came into the restaurant I was working at and was seated in my station. She actually remembered me from the interview.

And finally, DH is good friends with an actor who worked on a TV show called "What's in Herman's Head" with Hank Azaria many years ago. We went to his wedding and Hank was there, too. Hank had a good long stare at my breasts.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My best friend went to school with and is still in contact with actor Aaron Eckhart, she also went on a couple dates with Steve Young back in the day.

Doc from The Love Boat ran into my parents when they were playing Tennis at a country club in Houston, held me and said, "What a beautiful baby girl!'

Years ago, I met Travis Tritt who was filming a video for "Here's a Quarter" at the oldest operating bar in Gruene, Texas (Gruene Hall). He signed his name over an article about my horse in an equestrian magazine (it was the only paper I had) then asked me if I wanted to stick around and be in the video!
It was SO much fun!!

A couple years later, I met William Hurt, Andi McDowell and John Travolta at that same bar.
They were fiming the bar/fight scene in the movie Michael. (the bar is pretty famous) My parents and I went every summer to New Braunfuls, which is 5 min away from Gruene.

Oh, and I have met Brooks and Dunn and Trick Pony. I worked for a man who is a famous session artist in Nashville and got to go backstage to "kill some time" with the bands.

OH! And when I was working at Continental Airlines, I spent a long while on the phone with this one Platinum Elite member, dealing with some issues he had in his travel schedules. I got everything worked out and at the end of he convo he asked what city I was in..."Salt Lake City" He said they were coming there for a concert in a couple weeks and would love to give me tickets and backstage passes... WOW! He was the manager for Rod Stewart!! So I got to take myself and three friends front and center, then back stage to meet him and Rod!

That job at Continental was a fun one! The President and CEO of Toys R Us sent me a Furby for helping him! And that was when NO ONE could find a Furby anywhere! lol

I think I am done....lol

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Before my parents were married, still dating, they went skiing in Tahoe. My dad fell and broke his leg. While he was at the ski patrol office waiting for my mom to get the car. She was having a hard time starting the car because she was so flustered and a man walked up to the window and offered to help. She slid over he got in and started the car. He got out told her to have a nice day and then walked away. She said she had no idea who he was untill she saw his butt and realized it was Clint Eastwood

My dad use to surf with Greg Noll.

I was a manicurist back in Denver years ago and had Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown as clients. They were very nice to me and tipped okay, not great for them but great for me. I also worked on a few Broncos and their wives.
DH and I have met many famous skaters from back in th eday. We met Wentzl Ruml. We are friends with Chris Yandall. Dh has met Christian Hoisoi. I know we know others but I can't think of everyone.

DH went to school with Big Head Todd.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee, I live a boring life lol The only celebrity I ever met was at an airport saying goodbye to my brother who was going on a trip. I stopped in at the girls room and when I got back there was my brother sitting next to Vanna White from Wheel of Fortune talking like they were friends. She's actually a very down to earth person

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might have a few.

I'm on pretty good terms with New York Times Bestselling author R.A. Salvatore - I've spent something like four or five hours in total talking to him, exchanged emails a few times, and he recognizes me now on sight at his signings. Awesome man, and really great with his fans.

I convinced my family to go to a Marionite Catholic liturgy on Easter Sunday because one of my favorite priests on the Catholic channel EWTN was presiding, so I managed to chat with him a little afterwards, and got pictures taken.

My brother and I got to meet magician Lance Burton way before he was famous - he used to greet his guests in person after his shows in Las Vegas, before he got a new theater. Have his autograph somewhere in my parents' house.

I was a big Siegfried and Roy fan, back when they were still performing, so for my graduation present after high school, dad got us tickets to go see one of their shows. The only seats left were in the pit, surrounded by the stage, but because of the proximity to the cats, you had to be over 18 to sit there, and my brother was only 16. The cashier looked, said "Ah, you look 18 to me" and let us pass. During one of the acts, Roy runs through the pit, and he gave my brother a hug. :-) Gotta admit, I was a little jealous!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was on an airplane with Muhammad Ali in 1971. Mom and I were coming back from Jamaica to Chicago. When I asked the stewardess to get his autograph, I was upset because I was expecting to see the name Cassius Clay. We spent about 30 minutes with him in the international customs at Chicago O'Hare. I recall he was very friendly, and HUGE.

As a teenager, DH was offered a job by John Wayne Gacy. If you don't remember the story, he would entice teenage boys to his house by offering them a job, then kill them and bury them in his crawl space. I'm very glad DH declined the offer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention, Norm Grabowski is a member of our hot rod club, of which I was the national VP for one term. I've stood and talked to him, ate with him, etc.

"And who," I hear you cry, " is Norm Grabowski?" Well, ladies... If you are not old enough to remember it, ask your mother about "Kookie" on "77 Sunset Strip." All the girls had a crush on him, and he drove a really hot car, built and owned by Norm Grabowski. Norm was also in an article Life Magazine, as well as playing bit parts in many TV shows and movies, including several with Annette Funicello. He also built and owned the car in "My Mother, The Car."

And he can whistle and drink root beer at the same time.

I also had a lengthy conversation with Little Richard when he was in one of his "sin remission" periods. He's an ordained minister, and every so often he gets "re-saved." He's quite the guy.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to tax incentives, Connecticut has been brimming with movie stars lately. lol

I met Robin Williams and John Travolta while they were filming their upcoming movie "Old Dogs" at UConn in Stamford. It was really interesting as they turned the school into a Tokyo office building. One of my co-workers was making funny faces at Robin Williams between takes, and he was making them back at him!

The movie, "The Life Before Her Eyes" with Uma Thurman and Evan Rachel Wood was filmed partially in my friend's house.

I met Donald Trump also there also since he's putting a building across the street. My boss made me go up to him to autograph a book before. He was a real jerk and ignored everyone that wasn't all dressed in a suit.

I also met one of my favorite bands, Evanescence. I won a contest and got to meet them before their concert in Hartford. They were all really nice and signed everything I had.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only had one.
I once worked a fundraiser for my high school band that involved us working at the Bristol Motor Speedway races delivering food to the suites.
Well I had a cart of food and was getting in the elevator and someone stuck their arm in and it was Dale Jr. That was pretty cool. No major talking just some small talk.
I also saw kid rock but didnt get to meet him or anything.
And I met all the guys from HURT but thats about it...

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gary Coleman lived next door to me while he was starring in "Diff'rent Strokes". He attended my birthday party in 4th grade:

I grew up in Los Angeles so it was very common to have a run-in with a celebrity several times per month.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I have lots of celebrity stories!

Everyone who lives here in Augusta, Georgia, has a James Brown story. I met him at my grandfather's nursing home because his father was there as well. He was very nice and sweet and even gave my Mom and I his autograph!

In another celebrity run-in, my mother (who is German, from Frankfurt) was childhood friends with Christine Kaufmann, a German actress who was married to Tony Curtis in the mid 60s and has two children with him.

I went to high school with Josh Kelley, who is a musician and married to Katherine Heigl ("Izzy" on Grey's Anatomy). His father, John, is a cardiologist at the hospital where I work.

My husband played football at TCU when LaDainian Tomlinson came on as a freshmen.

My husband and I met Brett Favre when we were at the Daytona 500 Speedway in February of 1999. He was very nice and even agreed to let me take his picture with Todd (my hubby)!

I am a huge Tori Amos fan and have met her briefly several times. Two years ago I had a backstage pass and was able to spend 20 minutes with her in her dressing room - just me, my best friend, and Tori!

When I was in NYC this past December, I saw Helena Christensen (supermodel from the late 80s/early 90s) in the Bed Bath & Beyond in Soho. She's very tall and thin, obviously, but kind of plain-looking in person!

I also went to high school with Ashley Smith, who was a hostage of the Atlanta Courthouse killer Brian Nichols in 2005. She read to Nichols from the book "The Purpose-Driven Life."

I met Telly Savalas while on a high school band trip to Hollywood.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

Met Van Halen backstage at the Great Western Forum in L.A., right after the riots.

Went to High School with Tom Dumont of NO DOUBT and Adam Keefe, who played in the NBA.

While working at Bear Mountain Ski Resort in 1998, Scott Bakula came through my line many times. (I was a lift operator) He was very friendly and allowed people to ski with him and take pictures.

Oh, and I saw Rasheed Wallace, then of the Portland Blazers, in HomeBase when I worked there.

And.....I met Rob Liefeld, back when IMAGE COMICS were all the rage. Got his autograph on a copy of Youngblood #1.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

While working at Bear Mountain Ski Resort in 1998, Scott Bakula came through my line many times. (I was a lift operator) He was very friendly and allowed people to ski with him and take pictures.
I love hearing about celebrities who are nice to fans.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Scott Bakula lived 15 miles away from us but unfortunately never met him. I know people who went to high school with him though and he use to sing.
I miss Quantum Leap lol

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I have a few celebrity stories....... When I was a tenn I somehow met and hung out with several musicians and bands, like GBH, Meat Beat Manifesto, Henry Rollins, Circle Jerks (who were jerks), Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Nitzer Ebb, 80's punk/industrial groups. Oh the stories behind each one!
Then I moved to NYC and started working at Limelight Night Club in 1990, around it's prime.........I was a guest list person and became a hostess. I met Billy Idol (he was very drunk and ridiculous), Bjork, Christian Slater ( he couldn't stop hitting on girls), Christopher Walken (who I have always admired as an actor and was definitely star struck at the time!) He loves to dance! When you see him dancing like a weirdo in a movie or video, that's really him, that's how he dances! Kim Basinger, Alec Baldwin (back when they were married), Jennifer Lopez, Sean Combs ( when they were dating), Pamela Anderson, and so many more!
Also was working during some amazing shows that I was upclose and personal with, Pearl Jam, Moby, Dee Lite, Jane's Addiction, Aphex Twin, to many to remember all........ Those were the days....the days I was caught up in having fun! I have lots of memories, lots of ridiculous stories, but not much more...........

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my friends has a neat story about a Star Trek convention he went to. He and a couple of other friends got dragged there by one friend who was a huge trekkie. At the convention he ran into Kate Mulgrew and she seemed so relieved to have someone normal (i.e., not dressed as a Kilingon or wearing a star fleet uniform) that they ended up talking for quite a while.

At work, my boss used to have physics lectures from some of big-name people like Enrico Fermi.

As for me, one of the neatest people I ever met was Lt. General Hal Moore. He wrote, "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young", and Mel Gibson played him in the movie of the same name. The one thing that really struck me was that he had an incredible memory for faces and names. Someone would walk up to him and say, "I doubt you remember me, sir..." and Gen. Moore would reply "Oh, yeah, I remember you. James Smith. We met at a party in Boston 5 years ago." I watched him do things like that over and over and it was very impressive.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails, Nitzer Ebb, 80's punk/industrial groups....Aphex Twin
these are all bands I listened to obsessively in college! I had even had my own radio show on the college station where I played nothing but industrial.
Interesting that I would find an industrial music fan like me on a cat forum!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 15, my best friend and I were up at the mall and started talking to a long haired head banging guy (not unusual in the mid 80's
). A local band, Kix, was playing at the fairgrounds the next night and he was from the opening band. He gave us both notes to show security to get backstage passes if we went but our parents wouldn't let us because they served alcohol. Kix took a quick nose dive but the opening band made it! The name on the note?? Brett Micheals! I still have it somewhere. Five years later when Poison was top of the charts, I just cried.

When I was a waitress I got to wait on a HUGE table from the local Country Muscial Festival. I wasn't really into country so I have no idea who most of the people there were (but there were some big names that were performing and 2 tour buses were in our parking lot) but I did recognize Roy Clark and Grandpa Jones from HeeHaw. Grandpa Jones was a sweetheart but Roy Clark was a pain in the butt. Nothing was right for him, and he just had this attitude of "Do you know who I am????"