Detering a tom cat??

a.k.a.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a have young female cat and lately there has been a local tom cat hanging around. It's been spraying on our back door step. I'm worried that if it gets to our cat it will either mate or beat up our kitten. What can i do to get rid of this cat permantly???

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spay your female and neuter the male. Seriously. The rule at my house is that if you show up on my property, you are fixed, no questions asked. Your female will continue to attract males until she is spayed. The male will continue to seek out females until he is neutered.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

The rule at my house is that if you show up on my property, you are fixed, no questions asked.
Chop chop quite literally! I totally agree with you, your wording was just too funny! If they could read, a sign saying "approach at your own risk (you just might be castrated)" would be fit!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Chop chop quite literally! I totally agree with you, your wording was just too funny! If they could read, a sign saying "approach at your own risk (you just might be castrated)" would be fit!
If I could make the sign in cat hormones, I would do it.

I lived on a farm in the country for many years and there are so many free roaming animals out there. I started with getting the females spayed, but the males still showed up and sprayed around the house. I tried some of the "pet deterants" like pepper powders/sprays and none of those actually worked. So I got them neutered and it all stopped.

When your nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile down the road, any free roaming cat that shows up is fair game. If you live in an urban area and a cat is doing this, you should try to locate it's owner and ask for them to neuter. If you don't do this, the next house they visit might not be as understanding and the cat might wind up at a shelter.

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really think the best thing to do is scare the tomcat away. If you thrown rocks at him (not hurting him of course) and scream at him, he will get the message! He's probably spraying and hanging around your house because he's marking your place as part of his teritory. If you make it clear he's not welcome, he'll go away.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cat-tastrophe

I really think the best thing to do is scare the tomcat away. If you thrown rocks at him (not hurting him of course) and scream at him, he will get the message! He's probably spraying and hanging around your house because he's marking your place as part of his teritory. If you make it clear he's not welcome, he'll go away.
If she turns her back on him, he may never get help.

You can go onto petfinder.org, on the left, put in your zip code and the animals that are listed are listed my shelter and rescue group. Start calling and writing them and see if they have someone, who will come out and help you set a trap for him and let you know where you can have him neutered, then you can release him back again.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not if there's a female in heat in the house! I'd be willing to bet all the yelling in the world wouldn't put him off... (just make him more sneaky.)

SPAY the cat and either NEUTER the male or bring it to a shelter to be neutered and homed.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

SPAY the cat and either NEUTER the male or bring it to a shelter to be neutered and homed.
Yes, finding a home for the kitty, I said released, but was thinking feral for whatever reason.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I really think the best thing to do is scare the tomcat away. If you thrown rocks at him (not hurting him of course) and scream at him, he will get the message!
And if one of those rocks misses, you could seriously hurt the cat. I for one would kill anyone that threw a rock at my cat, for any reason.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is wrong... You don't want to throw rocks on cats! Furthermore, there is no way this will be sufficient to keep him away if she goes on heat. Cats will walk on glass for a female on heat!

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the neutering advice. Make sure this Tom Cat does not belong to anyone though. If he is a stray, then neutering will help prevent him fathering a bunch of kittens in the future with other unspayed females in your neighborhood.