She's making a statement,and I don't like it.

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two days ago,I tried being a good cat owner,and took her to the vets for her annual check-up,and med shots. She wouldn't go into her carrier willingly,I had to lower her into it from above. She cried the whole time I carried her to the car. Yesterday,I found her droppings on the floor by the tv room window. Her box is by the bathroom door.

This isn't a new problem either. If she wants me to not keep her healthy,I'll abide by her wishes. I feel that her not using her box,is a sign of hatred toward me.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think cats act this way in purpose... I would think it is more trauma related than anything else...
Question: Did she get any kind of medicine that maybe didn't agree with her digestive system?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can sometimes get angry when they have to go to the vet...but I believe that they DO NOT hold grudges. I don't believe they have the emotional capacity to hold grudges against their owner who loves and takes care of them. (You should see how I get Trout in the carrier...I have to literally cram her in)

The pooping out of the box is something else. Was the box clean?

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Don't take it personally, 2) remember as wonderful as our feline friends are, they are not people.

Please be kind to her and realize that this is her way of telling you something is not right in her world. It could be stress from the vet visit, stress from the box not being clean, stress because she's not feeling well.

Clean it up very well with an enzyme based cleanser, if it was just temporary stress she probably won't make a repeat performance.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Almost EVERY cat I've known 1) resists getting put in the carrier; 2) cries in the car no matter where you're going. I doubt that the problem is "intentional." I'd worry more about a physical cause. As another poster has advised, clean the spot with a good enzyme cleaner, and if there's a repeat, and you KNOW the box is immaculate, then it's time for another visit to the vet.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few of mine are terrified of the carrier and nearly all of mine scream the entire trip to the vet. This is normal behavior to most cats who only have to make a vet trip once a year. I have 3 cats that I have to drop in from the top - you'll see that advice on this site for many cat owners.

For the poop? Clean the spot as others suggested. If it reoccurs then she's not just out of sorts from the vet visit, she is ill. She doesn't hate you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairieduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cleaned up the messes with a damp paper towel,I don't know which cleaning products I should use. One spot is on a carpeted area,the other was on part of the mat under her box.

I sure didn't mean to cause her stress. Is there an easy way to put her inside her carrier? And could the size of her carrier be a factor too? I have a little thin towel in there to make her comfortable.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PrairieDuck

I cleaned up the messes with a damp paper towel,I don't know which cleaning products I should use. One spot is on a carpeted area,the other was on part of the mat under her box.

I sure didn't mean to cause her stress. Is there an easy way to put her inside her carrier? And could the size of her carrier be a factor too? I have a little thin towel in there to make her comfortable.
We know you didn't... Last time I took the kitties to the vet I needed to take the rest of the day off! God, it was soooo stressful! It broke my heart in pieces!
Bugsy to top it off peed all over himself so stressed the poor thing was... it made me sick!
You need to clean it with an enzyme cleaner - you can buy one at a petstore, but most supermarkets will have it too... Nature's Miracle is a great one...
IMO poop is easier to deal with, as it is superficial. Pee goes all the way under the carpet, and can be a royal mess to deal with

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think your cat hates you, I think she is just traumatized by being placed a carrier and taken to the vet!
Have you ever tried to let her walk into the carrier on her own? I know this seems impossible, but it's not. I used to try to push and shove my cats into their carriers and always ended up with scratches and hair all over me. Now I just set them directly in front of the open carrier (as close as possible without actually putting them in) and carefully but firmly nudge them towards it. They end up walking right into it because there's nowhere else to go. If it works, it will be a little less traumatic for you and your kitty!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is a terror to get in the carrier. I have to get him in my room, runs under the bed, I have to move the bed all around the room because he's moving with it, corner him in my bathroom, which he starts yowling, hissing growling, stuff him in the carrier, he's strressed, I'm stressed, have to straighten up the room after all that. The same night he lays near me to scratch the base of his tail, go figure

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our vet clinic is only a few blocks from home, so I have bought a kitty stroller from Drs. Foster & Smith. When Zane has to go, I will take the towel I use to line his basket and put it in the carrier, then deposit him in it and zip it shut. I think the familiar smell helps sooth him. I'll then walk briskly down the street to the clinic. I always carry a good stout walking stick in case we meet any dogs, but I've not had to use it yet. Any people who pass by always do a double take and then "Oh what a pretty kitty!"

Zane will protest at first, but generally settle down. At the Vet, he'll generally not mind being put back into the stroller, because he's figured out that it means he's going HOME. I'll always tell him he's been a good kitty afterwards and give him lots of pettings and treats.