Iams ProActive Health Kitten Food? Or Techni-Cal?

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Iams is what we currently feed our 6 week old kittens they seem to like it. I was told by a local pet food store it is not that good for them and to try the "Techni-Cal" food (Canadian Made) I bought it then when I got home I compared the ingredients. Both are almost identical, the Iams has more protein? Seems like they were just trying to make a sale to me...?

Here is a link to the Techni-Cal food ($25 a bag):
http://www.royalcanin.ca/products/tc/cat/kitten_en.php

Iams ($17 a bag):
http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/jsp/I...PL&productID=6

Compare the stats for your self.

Let me know if Iams is okay?! I always thought it was good and my Vet said it was good the other day as well.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The techni cal gets my vote ... BIG flags with it containing both corn and corn gluten and in relatively big amounts... Low protein and fat for a growing kitten IMHO ( I aim for 35-40 protein in a kitten food ... 29 classifies as a senior with kidney or liver issues )

Iams IMHO is junk food ... two kinds of animal by products ,LOADS of corn

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - Techni-Cal is the "lesser of 2 evils"...however there are far better foods out there. At 6 weeks - you need to find something & stick with it - as changing foods will mess with those babies digestive tracts - and getting them on kitten food is enough adjustment as is.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Techni-Cal:

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken Fat, Ground Corn, Dried Egg, Salmon Meal, Beet Pulp, Natural Flavour, Salmon Oil, Pea Fibre, Yeast Extract, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin E, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Proteinate, Niacin, Inositol, Ascorbic Acid, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Copper Sulphate, Copper Proteinate, d-Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, Folic Acid, Calcium Iodate, d-Biotin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12 and Sodium Selenite.

IAMS:

Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Meal, Poultry By-Product Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Grits, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Natural Flavor, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, DL-Methionine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Rosemary Extract

Although I do not like, and wouldn't feed either of these brands..... I'm curious as to why you both are for the TechniCal vs IAMS on the ingredient list????

I am looking at the first 5 ingreds in both....IAMS has 3 meat + animal fat, whereas technical has only 1 + chicken fat.

Yes, the IAMS has 2 by-products, but the source is identified as chicken and poultry.

Plus the technical has more carbs than the IAMS, based on the analysis list.

The more reading I've done, the more I've come to think of by-products as acceptable instead of taboo. While it is true that manufacturers used to use beaks, feet, feathers, etc.... it is not so true in this day and age of higher standards.

Honestly, if I had to chose one, I would chose the IAMS because of:

- more meat based protein
- less carbs.

that said, given the choice of any food, I wouldn't chose either of the above.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

The more reading I've done, the more I've come to think of by-products as acceptable instead of taboo. While it is true that manufacturers used to use beaks, feet, feathers, etc.... it is not so true in this day and age of higher standards.

Honestly, if I had to chose one, I would chose the IAMS because of:

- more meat based protein
- less carbs.
Much of choosing pet foods boils down to matter of opinion on many issues. By-products and, to a lesser extent I think, carbs are two of those issues.

I agree with you but don't dispute that it isn't a cut and dried issue.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Much of choosing pet foods boils down to matter of opinion on many issues. By-products and, to a lesser extent I think, carbs are two of those issues.

I agree with you but don't dispute that it isn't a cut and dried issue.

I definately agree that its not a cut and dry issue.

Alot of people believe different things, research is ongoing as far as animal nutrition goes, and alot of it is just IMO (in anyones opinion really... what I may think is best for my animals, may not be what someone else thinks).

Bottom line is it is entirely a persons own opinion as to which nutritional issues they feel strongly about, etc. I personally like to hear different views, as to why people think "this" is not good or "this" is good. Frankly, it is how I learn....by trying to understand how others look at things

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think for the cost of those foods there are much better options! I wouldn't feed either--even to the strays I feed.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what do you reccomend then? we are going to take the tecni-cal back.

reccomend me some good dry kitten food that isnt over priced. so I want one that has around 40-45 protein? what about fat? what about calories?

Im heading out but will stop by another pet store on the way back and hopefully pick up a better kitty food ill post the results here and see if you all agree with it.

Thanks
Matt

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I got some new cat food today from tips in this thread.

I found a Kitten & Cat food made by Orijen (Canadian Company) its a high protein and low carb food.

ORIJEN Cat is formulated with a biologically correct (75/25/0) ingredient ratio of 75% meat, 25% fruit and vegetables and 0 grain.
45% Protein
20% Fat

It has NO grain and NO animal by-products.

Check out more details about it here:
http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/CatAnalysis.aspx

-----------------------

I mixed it with the Iams and our one kitty seems to like it, the other is either not liking it or not hungry, we will slowly mix it in to the other food.

So how does this sound to all of you? Seems good to me, you all said that the one with the least corn is better by the sounds of it, and this has NO corn or grain. Good thing?

Let me know what you all think! The price is fair at $20 a bag.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Orijen is what I feed. It is a good food, if your cats will eat it and handle it ok (some have problems with the richness of grain-frees). Transition it slowly and see how they do.

You may want to read the thread about the Orijen recall on this forum. The recall is in Australia only and was caused by the country's importing procedures, so the food is still safe in Canada, but it's worth reading if you are choosing to feed Orijen. I'm still feeding it, and have no concerns about the safety of the food here in Canada.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orijen is a very good food ( is it a 5-6 lb bag??)

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they seem to love it, not sure what size that bag is sorry 10lb i think.