Your opinions and vibes please - I helped a shoplifter!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My emotions are so conflicted right now - In KMart tonight, I watched a woman yank some cat toys off their card & then she hid the card beneath a stack of dog-flea-medicine
and I said nothing - shame on me for that
Instead, I finished putting the bag of cat food in my cart and when I looked again, she was gone!
Because I worried that the karma from a bad act might affect her innocent cat, I retrieved the card, put it in my cart & searched the store till I found her. I told her that I would pay for the cat toys so that the bad karma wouldn't harm her kitty. At first she said, "What are you talking about?" So I showed her the card & told her "I saw you take the toys & I just wanted you to know that I'm going to pay for them, to protect your cat from the karma." She snatched the card & said, No, she'd pay for it herself.
I assured her it was no problem, that I want to help. She got teary eyed, said she lost her home in a fire - her other purchases were consistent with that story. I took the card back & insisted & finally she relented.
But at the counter, the clerk saw the card & immediately looked suspicious.

The exchange: "What's this about"..
.Me:"Oh, I'm buying some cat toys for my friend's cat. Just scan it please."
clerk: "Well, where are the things then?"
Me: "They already have them - I'm just paying for them."
Clerk: "Who has them?"
Me: "My friend."
Clerk: "Who's that? Where are they now?"
Me: "I'm paying for the merchandise. It can't go with me, we're not here together."
At that point the manager comes over to "bag" my few items. I felt threatened, so I smiled and said, "Please scan that card so I can pay for it, please" and she did. (Whew!
)
.....What do you guys think?
I've already prayed for the woman and her cat, but still.......

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God Bless you for doing that...
She was wrong, but it is hard to judge someone who is going through what she is... You helped another human being, and that's what is all about...

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

God Bless you for doing that...
She was wrong, but it is hard to judge someone who is going through what she is... You helped another human being, and that's what is all about...
I agree! Wish there were more people like you!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a kind soul, I believe that you did the right thing, anything else and she probably would have stole the toys anyways-kmart or else where.

mzkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I find it odd that someone who's house had burned down is buying toys, I think you kind of have other things on your mind?? she sounds odd! But well done on your kindness, some kitty has some toys to play with! And yes, bad karma could have come if they'd taken that naughty mommy to jail so well done.

Hugs xxxx

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's odd at all.

when I lost my stuff (although in a much different way) I remember feeling horribly guilty about my cats because they were so innocent, and it wasn't their fault their life had turned into a crisis. I also remember buying two toys for the cats when I went to pick them up and sacrificed eating a meal to do it.

when you love something so much, and something like that happens, I think it's natural to take on the onus of the misery that's inflicted.

I'll also say this. she wasn't shoplifting drugs, or things for herself. I have a hard time feeling bad that she did it even though I know it's a crime.

In the grand scheme of things when we lose everything it's a LOT. but when we think about our cats, all they need is love, food water and something to keep them occupied. So it's much easier to feel good about getting something so small and seemingly insignificant.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I don't think it's odd at all.

when I lost my stuff (although in a much different way) I remember feeling horribly guilty about my cats because they were so innocent, and it wasn't their fault their life had turned into a crisis. I also remember buying two toys for the cats when I went to pick them up and sacrificed eating a meal to do it.

when you love something so much, and something like that happens, I think it's natural to take on the onus of the misery that's inflicted.

I'll also say this. she wasn't shoplifting drugs, or things for herself. I have a hard time feeling bad that she did it even though I know it's a crime.

In the grand scheme of things when we lose everything it's a LOT. but when we think about our cats, all they need is love, food water and something to keep them occupied. So it's much easier to feel good about getting something so small and seemingly insignificant.
I agree with you... The means might been wrong, but she was doing something for her kitties, to make them happy, which is probably all she has right now...
I am in a very very tough situation, but my kittens are taken care of - I might not have food in the house for myself (which I don't until tomorrow), but my kittens do have quality food, their toys, my love, and health insurance. I would go without for them... I a heartbeat. Call me crazy, but I get what this poor woman must been feeling...

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you handled the situation with compassion. You had three choices. 1. Ignore it and pretend you didn't see anything. 2. Turn her into store security. 3. Just what you did. Most people would pick the first choice, a few would turn her in, but very few people would think of your choice. Major karma points for you!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a walking angel! You not only did a good thing for someone in need, but also showed her a shining example of honesty at a moment when she obviously needed one. Bless your heart!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

I think you handled the situation with compassion. You had three choices. 1. Ignore it and pretend you didn't see anything. 2. Turn her into store security. 3. Just what you did. Most people would pick the first choice, a few would turn her in, but very few people would think of your choice. Major karma points for you!

Bless you for helping those innocent kitties.

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! that was such a nice thing you did!not many people would have done that!
She must love her cats very much and just wanted them to have something to play with.....good for you for helping her out

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness - what a heart warming story. I didnt see how it would turn out at all!

I think you did a wonderful thing. I wasn't expecting the lady to have a valid sob story - so I'm so glad you checked on it and helped her (and her kitties) out!

I'm so stunned really it's hard to post coherently. Awesome story!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I think you did something this woman will remember for the rest of her life. No matter why she was taking the toys you set a very good example for her. Not only were you saying that stealing was wrong, but you were showing her your genorosity. Frankly in this economy there is no way to know if her house burnt down or if she just didn't have money for the toys. As I said the reason is not as important as the ultimate lesson of your actions.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did the right thing, and handled that beautifully!!! What a heart warming story!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your story brought tears to my eyes!
Bless you for caring enough to show compassion to this woman and her kitties. You taught her several valuable lessons: Not only that stealing is wrong, but honesty still exists, and compassion for fellow humans is a wonderful thing.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Bless you for caring enough to show compassion to this woman and her kitties. You taught her several valuable lessons: Not only that stealing is wrong, but honesty still exists, and compassion for fellow humans is a wonderful thing.
I agree and couldn't say it any better than that!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

You really did a good thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your wonderful caring and compassion! I had the worst nightmares last night, because, for some reason, I feel weird, kinda guilty, actually. I even told my husband what I did and he assured me that I did nothing illegal and that the store has not incurred any damages and that I was acting as what is called a "Good Samaritan" (I thought that was only for car accidents
).
For the record, my quick scan of her cart saw a clock, a cheap aluminum fry pan, some towels, plastic hangers, so I believe that she has somehow lost her home.
I am still praying that God blesses her, and that her heart is given better guidance, so she doesn't steal anymore