Cooked 'raw' or homemade diet?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some time ago in the Holistic Care guest forum, Dr. Jean mentioned doing a book on 'cooked raw' food. I'm very curious about this.

Raw is not an option in our household, but I'd love to read more about home-cooked food options, so I'm wondering what sort of qualified information and resources are out there on this.

Of course I have no intention of making any changes to my cats' diets without checking with the vet first - I'd just like to do some preliminary research and get some information to decide if I even want to seriously consider trying it.

Links or book suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll find that most raw feeders will recommend against cooking the meat, since cooking destroys many of the nutrients that make feeding a natural diet so nutritious.

Maybe someone has come across what you're looking for, however, and can post that info! Just remember, if you cook it, you'll have to supplement it, especially with taurine, as that amino acid is rather fragile, but very necessary to a cat's health.

A.C.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

I think you'll find that most raw feeders will recommend against cooking the meat, since cooking destroys many of the nutrients that make feeding a natural diet so nutritious.

If you are willing to do cooked food, why isn't raw an option? It's easier to balance than cooked.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done raw and cooked .. both have pluses and minuses ... IMHO raw is far easier and cheaper ....

cooked I will look up my books and list them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!
That's a great link mschauer. Thanks!

Originally Posted by missymotus

If you are willing to do cooked food, why isn't raw an option? It's easier to balance than cooked.
I have concerns about bacterial contamination and toxoplasmosis.

anlina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I have concerns about bacterial contamination and toxoplasmosis.
Unless you're dealing with a compromised immune system or live in a part of the world where food safety standards are questionable, you're worrying too much. If you live in the US or Canada you can safely feed whole raw meats purchased from your grocery store.

To keep yourself safe and healthy simply wash your hands after handling raw meat and after cleaning the litter box (on the off chance that you cat is shedding toxo in their feces.) It's the same common sense steps non-raw feeders take to prevent spread of bacteria.

To protect your cat buy whole meats (not ground - grind at home if your cats won't eat chunks yet), cut, bag and freeze the day you buy. Clean up their eating area with a water & vinegar solution. If you feed wild game, freeze it for a month or so before feeding, which should take care of most bacteria and parasites.

The risks to your cat are minimal though. They have short digestive systems which are designed to handle raw meat and aren't as susceptible to bacteria as we are. Heck, they lick their bottoms and their paws after using the litter box with no ill effects.

I think our disinfectant-obsessed culture also tends to over-exaggerate how "dirty" raw meat is. The potential for bad bacteria is there, but it's not like ever piece of raw meat is swimming with salmonella and ecoli and toxoplasmosis.

I have three raw fed cats, and we've never had an issue with food poisoning - they love their raw and they're the healthiest cats I know.

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As I just don't see my cat jumping at the raw.

I know this is lame, but my attempt at introducing her to it was to buy the NV freeze dried disks, and shave/wittle with a knife the freeze dry into her wet food.

When I realized she was rejecting her wet food almost entirely (like she could tell the raw was in it) I simply returned the very expensive product to my shop.
Funny how quick a cat can tell you she is protesting her food.

Another reason why I think my cat would not take to raw is the aroma.

My cat's favorite food is prob NV Instinct cans, and I personally think it's because they stink (prob from organ meat cats find yummy).
So I have always assumed the aroma of the food gets her to eat.

(for the record my cat is a bengal, eats only wet).

I would love to feed my cat raw, and it would be cool if she took to it, but I would say the take away for cooking my own food is that I can control her meat sources.