Anyone have any pointers on how to give a cat a pill???

ericapurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat T-bone has to take a pill everyday b/c he had some breathing issues. We have a pill shooter however he fights us even if we grab the nape of his neck. We have wrapped him in a towel and he weasels out and still scratches us. We have tried the pill pockets, and he wouldn't eat them. He fights so hard we are afraid we are going to hurt him. I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also used pill pockets but you say your kitty won't eat them. Does your kitty like cheese or some other type of food that you can wrap around the pill? Cats don't usually chew their food so if you can wrap it in something and still keep it small, you'll have more luck.

When I had to give our kitties drontil I broke the pill into quarters and wrapped each small quarter in the pill pockets and they ate them like treats.

If they like temptation treats you could try hiding the quarters in those.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Pill pockets are a big hit for one of ours, but not the other. We've had good luck breaking the pill into smaller pieces then mixing them with a little yoghurt or crushing it into really smelly cat food. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericapurr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I also used pill pockets but you say your kitty won't eat them. Does your kitty like cheese or some other type of food that you can wrap around the pill? Cats don't usually chew their food so if you can wrap it in something and still keep it small, you'll have more luck.

When I had to give our kitties drontil I broke the pill into quarters and wrapped each small quarter in the pill pockets and they ate them like treats.

If they like temptation treats you could try hiding the quarters in those.
I will try this!! Thank you for the info.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got one cat like that. It's a 10 minute battle to give him a pill and after it's over he's totally stressed out and I'm usually bleeding.
If none of the other suggestions work, you might try talking to your vet to see if the medicine can be compounded. I just picked up some medicine for Tre and they had it compounded into a tuna-flavored medication. The pharmacist told me the other alternative was a cream that can be applied to his ear. I don't think all medications can be compounded like that, but if yours can, it's worth a shot.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was so afraid Wilbur would be like that with his antibiotics. fortunately i tricked him once and it worked every other time.

I'd just pick him up and stand him in my lap, facing my right side. reach around and gently squeeze his upper jaw with my left hand while kind of pinning him with my left elbow at the same time. he'd open and start to fight, but he'd be open enough for me to drop the pill far enough back that he'd swallow it.

At first I use to put it in to close to the front and bloop! he'd just spit it out. lol i was too afraid I'd choke him if I put it too far back

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do for Scotty is to get his rear end against a wall or cabinets (if we're in the kitchen), and use my right hand to wrap it around his head (to hold it like a baseball) and then tilt his head up (this causes the bottom jaw to open a bit). I then have the pill in my left hand (between my index finger and thumb) and use my left middle finger to pry his bottom jaw down, drop the pill in, shut his mouth, and gently rub his throat to promote swallowing. Sometimes I have to blow into his face to startle him to swallow.

Oscar...well, let's just say I'm glad it's Scotty that has to take meds.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of Braunschweiger or cream cheese working to wrap a pill in.

When I have to pill a cat by myself, I kneel down, have the cat between my legs--so if they back up they just back up into me rather than get away. I use my left hand to tilt their head back and open the mouth, and toss in the pill with my right hand (or use a pill popper with my right hand). I find this method easier than having my DH hold the cat for me.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This has worked for me with feral cats:

Have the pill ready to administer. Kneel on the ground with your ankles crossed under your behind. Place the cat between your thighs with their head facing away from you. Don't squeeze the cat between your thighs (you don't want to hurt them), but hold them close enough that they can't wiggle out back or side to side.

Assuming you are right handed: With the pill gun in your right hand, put the palm of your left hand on top of their head with your fingers on one side of their mouth and thumb on the other side. Open their mouths and insert the pill gun on an angle from the right into the back of their throat. Drop the pill gun and place your right hand gently on their neck, holding their head up. Stroke their neck if they are being stubborn about swallowing. I usually kiss the top of their head at this point and tell them what a good cat they are. Make sure they have swallowed. Give them a treat if they like them.

This holds the cat tight enough that they can't escape. You are also somewhat sneaking up on them by holding their mouth open from the top and inserting the pill from an angle. They often don't know what hit them until it is over. My Muddy takes up to 3 pills a day and this is the only position I can use to pill him consistently.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

This has worked for me with feral cats:

Have the pill ready to administer. Kneel on the ground with your ankles crossed under your behind. Place the cat between your thighs with their head facing away from you. Don't squeeze the cat between your thighs (you don't want to hurt them), but hold them close enough that they can't wiggle out back or side to side.

Assuming you are right handed: With the pill gun in your right hand, put the palm of your left hand on top of their head with your fingers on one side of their mouth and thumb on the other side. Open their mouths and insert the pill gun on an angle from the right into the back of their throat. Drop the pill gun and place your right hand gently on their neck, holding their head up. Stroke their neck if they are being stubborn about swallowing. I usually kiss the top of their head at this point and tell them what a good cat they are. Make sure they have swallowed. Give them a treat if they like them.

This holds the cat tight enough that they can't escape. You are also somewhat sneaking up on them by holding their mouth open from the top and inserting the pill from an angle. They often don't know what hit them until it is over. My Muddy takes up to 3 pills a day and this is the only position I can use to pill him consistently.

That's what I do. I guess I didn't describe it very well in my previous post.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

That's what I do. I guess I didn't describe it very well in my previous post.
I noticed that you have the same technigue. I've just typed this out a few times before and have been questioned on the specifics.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much the same technique--however I butter up the pill first so it will slide down the throat easier (Kody is taking metronidazole at present and it didn't slide down too easily without butter.) But I get him when he is still asleep on the bed and crawl up behind him to do it. Then on the plate I have a few Friskies Party Mix treats, he eats them and sometimes just lays back down and goes back to sleep.

The first week was a nightmare. I tried Pill Pockets, worked for a few days, then hiding them in his food where he would sometimes take them, sometimes spit half of it out, and the rest of the time refuse to eat the food because it had started to dissolve in it.

For four days this has worked like a charm. But who knows, tomorrow he may wise up on me. But for right now, I am patting myself on the back.

Anne

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's one you can crush up, I've had success mixing it into a food they like, especially if you can find a really stinky food. I've also used a little of the cheese that you squirt out of a can (I'm blanking on what it's called).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the pill can be crushed, crush it, and mix it with with a soft treat the he likes... Mine love Whisker's Lickin's You can crush the treat, mix the pill into it, then remake the treats... Works like a charm, especially if the medicine is temporary...

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

If the pill can be crushed, crush it, and mix it with with a soft treat the he likes... Mine love Whisker's Lickin's You can crush the treat, mix the pill into it, then remake the treats... Works like a charm, especially if the medicine is temporary...
This method works very well on my Minka and Leo, especially when I use tuna.

Taxi, the one who usually eats everyting, will not eat any anything tainted by crushed up pills! Very annoying. But a pill gun is effective with him.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my cat's I just use the technique that was used in this post I put my hand over my cat's head, use my thumb and middle finger to pull back his head and pill him but he's super easy. My other cat I scruff him, lift him up just a little so his jaw relaxes, gently open his mouth and stick the pill back there.

With a wiggly cat I would put the cat on a counter top it isn't familiar hanging out on, like a washer or dryer or something have someone hold the cat's front legs [back legs too if he's serious] so that leaves you free to pill the cat without getting scratched. Honestly, my cats really respond to scruffing but they have a high respect for their moms hehehe.