The trials of breeding

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Skylark is at the vet's right now. I am waiting by the phone. First thing this morning I brought her out of the kennel to clean her up. I had checked her every hour yesterday, plus spent hours just watching her and the kittens and didn't notice anything unusual. But she still hadn't cleaned herself up very well. I had her on the kitchen floor to wipe her with a wet cloth and I saw a ripple through her tummy. I called my vet immediately and they couldn't even see her until 4pm.. so I called another vet, that I don't like quite as much, and they told me to bring her down ASAP.

They x-rayed her and found another kitten stuck inside, and it had tried to come out headfirst. So they said they'd need to do an c-section and most likely spay her at the same time. I said, OK - I just want her to be OK.

But they just called me, and said they had her on the table and she contracted again. Some stuff came out so they helped her contract with oxytocin, and she expelled the kitten. She is now on antibiotics and liquids and they are going to give her til the end of the day to see if she is done expelling stuff. They may still need to do the c-section but she is doing well right now and the kittens are fat and happy. They have kept her in her own crate with towels from my house.

I had called a week in advance to have an early x-ray done, but they could only put me on a cancellation list at my vets office. They are now booked up almost a month in advance. Six kittens in that small of a cat is pretty crazy. I had thought maybe there was a retained placenta, and was stunned to hear that it was another kitten. The vet says that there was no way that kitten would have made it, it was really large and coming out the wrong way, but I still feel awful about the poor little thing. I may have to switch vets as my usual vet office is just too busy to even deal with emergencies. I don't blame them though, this town is really small, and the other 2 vet offices are just not as good. Everyone tries to see the same two vets.

For anyone looking to start up a breeding program, you just have to know that it is not easy and it most CERTAINLY will not make you any money. I was just quoted between 700$ to 1000$ for the c-section and I don't even care.. I just want her to be better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The kittens are with her. They are all doing great and the vet office people are in love.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the office. I get to pick her up at 5pm. She passed the last placenta and is doing much better. They want to see her again at 8am tomorrow to check temp and hydration.

I'm wondering if the fact that she was loose with Tsekani an extra two days had anything to do with her problems. Maybe the kittens were conceived too far apart. In any case, I have learned a lot about cats the last few months.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry that you've had this sad situation happen, but at least your queen is going to be ok as are her babies.

This situation is why I am so adamant about how the birthing process goes, and I will not leave the mom until I know for sure she's done. I am quite a freak about it because if something happened to my girls, I would be a basket case.

I hope only for the best for you, Sky and her little clouds of love

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning she was meowing at me when I checked her, and she was looking really bright. I brought her back to the vets for a temp and check-up and she was in the normal range. So I brought her back home. She is keeping in the IV needle until Saturday, just in case she has a bad turn. The kittens are all in awesome shape, and the vet said that she is really impressed with Sky's mothering instincts. Even when she was really bad she was taking care of her babies.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Just now saw this thread.
So glad things are working out well for Skylark and the kittens. Do you have pictures somewhere that I missed?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks. They're beautiful.
Can you tell them apart yet?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh good!

My first litter was a nightmare too. Believe me, I know you have learned a lot from this experience. It will be much easier next time