is royal canin unreasonably overpriced like science diet?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious. It's grainy that's why. i think most people who said science diet is not the best food in the world, said so because it has grains. But then I've never heard criticisms of royal canin, even though it also has grains....Is it good quality or not ?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Royal canin is, IMO higher quality than SD - but also overpriced for the quality. It doesn't have the by-products & artificial preservatives SD has, if I am remember right, making it higher quality.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Royal canin is, IMO higher quality than SD - but also overpriced for the quality. It doesn't have the by-products & artificial preservatives SD has, if I am remember right, making it higher quality.
Imho the above is true... SD claims to no longer use chemical pres in reg foods but does in the Rx lines..

RC is a good food but it is more IMHO inline with Nutro max, Diamond naturals, Chicken soup or Authority which are substantially lower priced

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Imho the above is true... SD claims to no longer use chemical pres in reg foods but does in the Rx lines..

RC is a good food but it is more IMHO inline with Nutro max, Diamond naturals, Chicken soup or Authority which both are substantially lower priced
I agree, that is why i stopped using it, our max is much cheaper yet no worse for quality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see, I feed Jake with authority for wet but I was wondering whether I should continue getting royal canin for dry, now I think I will feed him authority for both wet and dry...Are Iams and authority about equal in quality?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I see, I feed Jake with authority for wet but I was wondering whether I should continue getting royal canin for dry, now I think I will feed him authority for both wet and dry...Are Iams and authority about equal in quality?
Iams IMHO is far lower quality

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow so there is literally no food that is good quality that is sold at wal mart or any other grocery store that isn't a pet store...That sucks..It sucks even more that I was looking of Wellness to buy for dry food, and my closest pet store (pets mart) didn't have it
I can actually afford a high quality dry food because very few of it gets eaten, Jake eats mostly wet..The last royal canin I got lasted me over 2 months..too bad I can't find wellness.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

RC is a good food but it is more IMHO inline with Nutro max, Diamond naturals, Chicken soup or Authority which are substantially lower priced
however, Pixel seems to do much better, herpes-wise, on the RC Special 33 than she does on the Authority or the Chicken Soup.
so when i can afford it, that's what i get. i wish it was less expensive, but it's not.

btw, ut0pia - wal-mart's Maxxiumum is decent quality.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PetsMart has a Blue Wilderness dry food that is grainfree. If Jake likes it, it looks like it is a pretty good food. If you go to their website (Blue Buffalo) you might could see if they will send you a sample bag to see if he likes it first. But, one good thing about PetsMart is that if you buy a bag and he won't eat it, you can return it and they will give full credit.

Anne

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Iams IMHO is far lower quality
OK, just looking for opinons. I was feeding Royal Canin for sensitive systems. That has caused some upset tummies (obviously Jordan's tummy is more sesnitive). I used to feed Nutro Natural with OK results. My biggest problem is that my Levi tends to have a dry coat. Any way due to the tummy problems they are currently on Iams Low Residue. In addition to the prohibitive cost I looked on their web site & noticed that the first incrident is by-product meal. So I guess I'm debating about going back to Nutro Natural, or trying Purinal One for Sensitive Systems? Like I said just looking for opinons.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

PetsMart has a Blue Wilderness dry food that is grainfree. If Jake likes it, it looks like it is a pretty good food. If you go to their website (Blue Buffalo) you might could see if they will send you a sample bag to see if he likes it first. But, one good thing about PetsMart is that if you buy a bag and he won't eat it, you can return it and they will give full credit.

Anne
This is NOT a true grain free it has oats , it is a higher protein than most grain containing foods

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first got Bodhi, I looked at the RC Maine Coon formula for him. I just wasn't impressed with the ingredients after learning so much on this site. Plus, for the price, I felt I could do much better with another food. For some though, RC works great for their kitties. I say more power to them.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is NOT a true grain free it has oats , it is a higher protein than most grain containing foods
I had heard that royal canin also has more protein....Oh and I'm curious about something, I ran out of canned food and Jake was on dry food -RC for a few days..His poop was much less smelly and when I scooped it up it was very dry almost like rabbit poop except for a much lighter color. What does that mean?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I had heard that royal canin also has more protein....Oh and I'm curious about something, I ran out of canned food and Jake was on dry food -RC for a few days..His poop was much less smelly and when I scooped it up it was very dry almost like rabbit poop except for a much lighter color. What does that mean?
It could mean the canned Jake was eating could be a bit rich for him..the color would have me keeping an eye on it ...Some RC have higher protein ie above 35 % but it is from meat and grain equally

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is darker color bad? I had heard light color could be caused from low quality food. He is eating authority canned, chicken and lamb formula. Should I balance them more, like give him less canned and more dry? Now, he is eating 90% canned, and his poop is smellier, darker and less like pellets, more like dog poop than when he ate just dry...What is healthy poop like?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
most says tootsie roll ... i have five cats all five eat the same food yet they all have different rolls ... light color can also indicate health issue s ... as can really dark ..

you may see and smell more bacteria leaving on a wet diet ( vet ??)

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Royal Canin and it's probably one of the best foods sold here in New Zealand

It's $15 a kilo here in NZ which I think is about US$7 a kilo.