Socializing my kittens, how am I doing?

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two kittens I got at just over 5 weeks they are now just under 6 weeks old. One was friendly right off the bat the other was a bit scared but is now totally friendly and cuddly.

Here is my current relationship with them:

Two females. Now these kittys are so cute, there always playing, wrestling and cuddling with eachother.

I do play with them at least 3 times a day, i made a few toys, some balls from shoe-strings and just shoe-strings with loops on the end which i let them chase around and pouce on etc.

I just read its not good to play with your hands with them or let them attack your hands, I will STOP this now not that I did a lot of it before.

Can you cuddle your kittens too much? they always up up on my couch/lap and sunggle in tight to my body or on my lap, usually both of them together. They also follow me around the house and generally like to be where me or my girlfriend are. Is it bad to have them always on me or around me? They also sleep with us, since they hop up on our bed in the middle of the night.

Ive taken them on a bunch of car trips and even to the supermarket since I dont want to leave them alone (im out of work so someones home all day with them.)

I am trying to get them to meet as many people as possible, havent met too many but Ill be inviting friends over and maybe my neighbours who have some younger girls.

Am I doing good as a parent to these little kittys? Any tips suggestions or comments would be great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
any other tips, or playing techniques? I use a shoe sting toy i made with a ball at the end and they love it when I play with them, also little shoe string balls which they love batting around.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, it's not possible to love them too much. I suppose it's possible to handle them too much, but that's not likely.

Kittens are like children. You need to sort of "kitten proof" your house. Just as an infant would do, they will put almost everything in their mouth. That means you shouldn't leave anything small around that they can swallow, such as yarn, string, rubber bands, etc. Be very careful of leaving a shoestring out; a kitten can pull off the end of the string. They can and often will bite electrical cords.

They can keep you VERY busy!

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I leave shoestring toys out that I made but none of them have the plastic ends, I cut them off so its just the cotton string its self.

also they do get behind my TV and I cant get them out (its in the corner) and they play with the cablevision cord...darn little monkeys.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How precious they sound! This is very young for kittens to be separated from their mothers, you are their mom now! When they are sleepy and want to curl up next to or on top of you, they feel comfort in your warmth and heart beat, just as they would curling up with mom kitty. It sounds like you are doing a great job so far, but there are some safety precautions you should set up now........ I'm sure you know about child proofing your home, kitten proofing is just as important! Electrical cords should be gathered and raised, open outlets should be plugged, access to areas such as behind computer or entertainment units should be blocked off.........I'm sure they will challenge you in days to come, you can always look to TCS for advice!

matt94gt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

How precious they sound! This is very young for kittens to be separated from their mothers, you are their mom now! When they are sleepy and want to curl up next to or on top of you, they feel comfort in your warmth and heart beat, just as they would curling up with mom kitty. It sounds like you are doing a great job so far, but there are some safety precautions you should set up now........ I'm sure you know about child proofing your home, kitten proofing is just as important! Electrical cords should be gathered and raised, open outlets should be plugged, access to areas such as behind computer or entertainment units should be blocked off.........I'm sure they will challenge you in days to come, you can always look to TCS for advice!
I have kitty proofed my suite and thats where they hang out. I cant block off behind my TV but when they go back there they just roll around on some magazines and occaincally play with the cablevision cord (no power source).

They do love comming on bare skin (around neck etc) I guess becuase its warm and they can feel our heart beat.

So darn playful!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like things are going great!

As another poster pointed out, you are their mom now, so you have to teach them what is OK and what is not. As they grow, they'll get into more mischief, so this should help you be prepared. To teach them "no," the best way to do it is a puff of air in the face, and say "no." Their mom would hiss at them - this is a more effective human equivalent.

Glad you're not playing with your hands or feet - important they learn they're not toys.
That can be hard to "untrain." Around 4 - 5 months old they'll begin to teethe. This will make them need to chew on things and get very "bitey." Important to not let them get away with it! Buy a box of bendy straws when they get there, and scatter them EVERYWHERE. When they go after feet or hands, pick up a straw and give it to them. When they chew on anything they shouldn't be, do the puff of air in the face, the "no," and give them a straw.

...and there is no such thing as too much love!

Laurie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooooh, what lucky kitties they are to have you.

I personally don't think you can handle them too much. I would suggest you touch their paws and gently play with their paws to get them used to having their paws handled to make it easier to clip their nails. We did this with Bijou and now I don't even need to hold him to clip his nails, he is quite comfortable just putting his paw in my hand and will often sleep with me holding his "hand".

As for taking them out in the car - that's wonderful. We did this with both Mika and Bijou and now they have no problems going out with us. In fact our daughter moved to her own place and took Mika with her so when she comes to visit she brings Mika as well and we take Bijou when we go to her house. We often put them both in a harness and leash and took them to the hardware store, Canadian Tire, Library, etc.

We even took them to a rental cottage 2 summers ago when we went on a week's vacation. It was a 4 hour drive there and 4 hours home. They settled in at the cottage and loved sitting in the screened window. We took them for walks on their leash along the water's edge. It was great.