What a nice man!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I went to buy a few more uniforms for work.

The place is way across town from where I live. I booked my Handi Transit rides to and from the store. They picked me up a full hour before I wanted to be there, and were picking me up over 30 minutes later than I wanted to leave. The result was my having to sit and wait for about 2 hours and 20 minutes to go back home

I called to ask if they could possibly pick me up earlier, but there were no cars out in the area I was in because it was so remote.

The store owner saw me sitting there and came out and asked me what time my ride was coming. I told him. He said that he had to go to their other store today and hadn't planned on going until later in the afternoon, but he said he would leave early and drive me home because I lived close to their other store (I didn't know they had another store).

So along the way we were talking and I found out that his sister-in-law has MS and takes Handi Transit too, so he knows about all of the long waits and the inconvenience. He told me that he usually goes to the other store in the morning, but today he had some other things to do and didn't get around to it. He told me in the future to call the store the day before and let them know I'll be coming down. He would wait to go to the other store so that he could give me a ride home! Talk about nice!!!

I also found out that they have a nursing agency that they run. They pay anywhere between $36.00 and $40.00 and up to $50.00 per hour if you go out of town. He offered me a job!

It's private nursing, not in a hospital or nursing home, so the work is much easier on the back. He told me that he has a number of nurses from the hospital I work at working part time for them and picking up a few shifts per month.

I'm thinking about it!
I don't want to give up my job, but it might be a better way of getting a bit more money working less busy shifts than doing 16 hour shifts periodically like I do.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! He does sound nice! Forgive my spelling, but good Samaritans like that are hard to come by these days.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like one of those God-given opportunities that sometimes just pop up out of nowhere. I would give serious consideration to taking it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

That sounds like one of those God-given opportunities that sometimes just pop up out of nowhere. I would give serious consideration to taking it.
I totally agree!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

But also be cautious - see if you can talk to some of those other nurses about the place.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

But also be cautious - see if you can talk to some of those other nurses about the place.
Great minds think alike and all that. That was my first thought as well.

If it sounds too good to be true, it often is.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Great minds think alike and all that. That was my first thought as well.
Yeah, I've been burned by a good song 'n' dance before.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in the US and I presume elsewhere there are agencies that do travel nursing - 6/13/20 week stints someplace... they put you up, orient you, etc... and apparently the money is good, if you don't mind living out of a suitcase.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Here in the US and I presume elsewhere there are agencies that do travel nursing - 6/13/20 week stints someplace... they put you up, orient you, etc... and apparently the money is good, if you don't mind living out of a suitcase.
The sort my niece and my friend do are hospitals in the area only. It's just a normal day at the hospital as usual only they get more money for doing it.

My niece is on a weeks holiday this week so she's bank nursing at a local hospital

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since some of his other nurses work at the same hospital as you, you can get references from them. At least for today, it was a real blessing that you got the ride home! You've found out about their other store, so you could ride HandiTransit there; it doesn't hurt to be cautious, but it's a shame to lose out on a blessing because we live in such a suspicious world.
I once shopped at a going-out-of-business sale; the regular clerks just ignored me at the counter, so the bookkeeper came over & rang me up for over $200 of office supplies (I was dressed for yard work, so I think that's why I couldn't get service). I asked the bookkeeper if she had another job lined up & she got teary & said no. So I gave her a business card & told her to call me & I'd hire her. She immediately looked narrow-eyed and suspicious; I walked off and glanced back and she'd put the card to the side. Too bad for her, I reckon