im so depressed....

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Me and BF arent the cleanest people in the world. Our house is so cluttered its unbelievable. i shouldnt say we are dirty just both very lazy. We never put things back, things just end up in piles. We lose things in the clutter all the time, no matter where i look theres clutter. Its so bad i just cant stand it anymore, its depressing me and i dont even know where to start. I honestly feel like getting a dumpster and going on a rampage and throwing everything out! A couple people told me they would come and help but its so embarassing, but i honestly dont think i care anymore and realize i need the help. I think once we get thing back into being normal again ill make sure it stays that way.
ugggg...and theres no one to blame except the both of us! having 2 lazy people living together is not the greatest thing. ok thanks i really needed to vent. everytime i think oh im going to clean, i look around and get so stressed and dont even know where to start.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean; I let things get out of hand and then it seems like such a huge job that I don't even know where to start---so I don't.
I read somewhere, and this actually works for me, that you should tackle one small job at a time. Set yourself a time limit (nothing major, just 15-30 minutes) and go at that one job. If you feel like donating more time to finishing it, fine; if not, at least you've started.
Don't let it get you down.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the exact opposite and drive people crazy with organization but not to the point of an obsession...I don't think? lol

Anyway, what I'd do first is get some large bags or boxes. Mark them as: Trash, Storage, Donation and House. Even 5 or ten items is a start
Trash the things that are either broke or no one would want. Store the items that you only use for holidays ect. Donate the things that you don't want but are in good condition or things that don't fit you or your lifestyle. The House Box or Bag are things you use on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and you can put away later. Remember, if you haven't used it in over a year...you may not need it and either find a relative or donation to give it to. Start with 1 room and take lots of breaks! If you're not sure either ask BF or post it and get a second opinion
Having a friend to help you distribute the items is a huge help. Remember to keep a positive attitude! Please don't get stressed! It takes time....
Hope this helps!!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel (unfortunately
) What works for me best is finishing one room at a time and not moving on until its completely cleaned. Like I'll start with the bathroom, then the kitchen, entry, dining room etc. The hardest part is actually getting started..

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd throw away as much stuff as possible. I let things go out of hand sometimes too, but then I enjoy cleaning up so much. I usually always rearrange furniture when I clean up also....but I throw away soo much stuff and it feels relaxing and liberating to throw stuff out, at least to me, and that's why I like to clean up so much.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the boxes, though not too large as you don't want boxes that will end up too difficult for you to move.

My other suggestion is music. iirc, you dj? Pick something upbeat, energetic, and positive that will help you set a good pace or even pick something you can sing along to while you clean.

Just wondering, were your parents (and your bf's) not that overly concerned with keeping things clean or did they let you keep your room how you wanted? I've noticed for some that if that isn't instilled in them at a young age, it can be very difficult to acquire those habits later.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I second the marked bags/boxes idea. Most pro organizers will tell you the same thing. Also, make sure that once the item is bagged for TRASH, DO NOT open it again--NO exceptions! Don't take stuff out--TRASH IT! Be strict with yourself here.

It's best to tackle one closet or room at time. Set a time limit; don't go gung-ho right away--accomplish something--even the smallest accomplishment will spur you on to bigger things later. If you get too bogged down in an area, you won't finish it that day, which is crucial. Don't start thumbing through photo albums, etc.--just toss into the marked box/bag. Don't start re-reading old love letters, etc. for the same reason. You are there to sort stuff. Be ruthless. What would be the worst thing that could happen if you threw soemthing out? Ponder, then throw it out! Don't make excuses to keep stuff.

Once it's cleared out, organize what's left, which hopefully won't be much.

Now the hardest part: maintaining your house! Just like losing weight, it's the keeping it that way part is the hardest part. Schedule regular weeding sessions, so it doesn't build up again (we do this with the collections at the library; we once went 10 years without weeding the collection; it took a team of about 15 people 2 years to do it. We have learned our lesson--people are assigned to weed weekly in certain areas.)

Take a look at YouTube: How Clean is Your House (Kim & Aggie). If you think you're bad, look at THESE people!!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You've already received some great advice. I agree that breaking the project down into manageable goals (e.g. one room at a time) is your key to success. As for maintenance, I have instituted a new rule in my house: if something new comes in, something old has to go out!

Don't be embarrassed. Lots of people (including myself) have a clutter problem. I'm not one of those people with old newspapers stacked up to the ceiling, but when I was younger I worried that that was my future! I absolutely sympathize with your dilemma, and I know from experience that that sort of clutter can begin to feel like some sort of spiritual/existential burden. Good luck to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the great advice, me and BF talked and once the weather breaks we are going to get a dumpster for a week and get rid of everything. For right now he told me to write a list of chores he wants me to do each day and he will. i went for a ride and came home much calmer and started getting a bunch of garbage bags packed up with nonsense that i havent used in forever, lotions that have been sitting around forever, empty boxes that were piled in the corners, empty plastic cat litter conatiners, i used to take all these vitamins everyday but i dont anymore so i trashed them, and it only took like a half hour.
we also agreed on one room at a time, and once we get the dumpster all the big things that couldnt be put out in garbage is getting thrown out in the dumpster.

your right maintaining is going to be hard, 2 lazy people living together is a disaster!

strangewings- to answer your question i grew up in a house where my mom and dad were really strict about keeping a clean house but i was still lazy and would leave things everywhere. Everytime my mom and dad ever came to any of my apartments they would tell me how they didnt raise me like that and why and i such a pig lol.

Now BF on the other hand, his house was already a disaster when i moved here, his mom was also a big packrat and not too big on cleaning.

well thanks for the advice and im alot calmer now!

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Start sorting things and donate things you don't need on Freecycle. I've given away lots of stuff, people come and get it, how easy is that! makes you feel good in many ways. Your house is less cluttered, items will be used and not thrown out, likely going to people who really need them

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just wondering, were your parents (and your bf's) not that overly concerned with keeping things clean or did they let you keep your room how you wanted? I've noticed for some that if that isn't instilled in them at a young age, it can be very difficult to acquire those habits later.
I've found that I keep things because growing up things got tossed on me without my input and because I was taught not to waste things. DH tosses everything because his father is a packrat. We try to keep a happy medium for ourselves now. I just hate throwing something out; then later on having to buy new because we really did need whatever the item was!

I used to get pretty overwhelmed with cleaning house too. Shortly after I got married someone gave me the idea of doing things room by room too. And that has been the biggest help!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It feels amazing to see things go from disorder to nice looking just by throwing away a few things doesn't it! I'm glad you are feeling better...

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been there! Once you get rid of all the "stuff" you won't be as stressed. This book has helped me alot..."Lillian Too's 168 Feng Shui Ways to Declutter Your Home" It's on amazon.com. I try to have charities come to pick stuff up a few times a year. Clothes, household goods, whatever... Actually Easter Seals is coming tomorrow and my entire entrance hallway is covered with so many boxes now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thats the other thing, im going to start taking bags of clothes to the salvation army drop off boxes, i have clothes in bins i havent used in years! im not even going to look thru them cause ill find all kinds of reasons why i need to keep them, so im throwing them into a big garbage back and they are going to the sallys!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I'm the exact opposite and drive people crazy with organization but not to the point of an obsession...I don't think? lol

Anyway, what I'd do first is get some large bags or boxes. Mark them as: Trash, Storage, Donation and House. Even 5 or ten items is a start
Trash the things that are either broke or no one would want. Store the items that you only use for holidays ect. Donate the things that you don't want but are in good condition or things that don't fit you or your lifestyle. The House Box or Bag are things you use on a daily, weekly or monthly basis and you can put away later. Remember, if you haven't used it in over a year...you may not need it and either find a relative or donation to give it to. Start with 1 room and take lots of breaks! If you're not sure either ask BF or post it and get a second opinion
Having a friend to help you distribute the items is a huge help. Remember to keep a positive attitude! Please don't get stressed! It takes time....
Hope this helps!!
I'm the same way as you, Maggie!

To the OP: One thing that helps keep the clutter away, is to not bring new things in unless it's something you really want or need, and if that's the case, then maybe get rid of something old to make room for the new thing.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been floowing the advice from this book "Organizing from the Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern. Much great advice.

The best tips-if you start in one room and find somethin that belongs in another room put it in that other room and come back to your project-don't get distracted by something you see in that room.

Also once you clear the space and have a need for containers-measure the spot and write down what you will need vs running out and buying some random containers that will not work. I find that clear/see thru ones work great to see what you have inside.

You will feel so much better when you start seeing and maintaining your environment!

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have anything to add that hasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t already been said, but wanted to say Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been there too and understand what you are going through.

I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get organized finally until I moved into the apartment I have now and I decided that I wasnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t going to let it be cluttered. I chose what I was going to keep based on whether or not I had a place for it and if I hadnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t used it in 6 months or didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have a place to keep it, it was either tossed, given to friends or went to the Goodwill store.

Best of luck in getting organized yourself!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Our daughter is as messy as anyone I know. She moved out on January 1st but still has some stuff in her bedroom waiting to be moved. I went in there to clean up a bit and I couldn't believe my eyes. There was garbage and clothing everywhere. Behind the headboard was empty gum wrappers and just plain old garbage.

I'm a neat freak so she didn't get that from me. My husband on the other hand is just like her. He leaves his tools, hats, gloves, coat, everything all over the place. It makes me crazy. I spend most of my time picking up and tidying up after him.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

To the OP: One thing that helps keep the clutter away, is to not bring new things in unless it's something you really want or need, and if that's the case, then maybe get rid of something old to make room for the new thing.
I'll second this - DH and I were always really bad for accumulating 'stuff' so we declared the 'nothing enters unless something leaves' rule when we moved into our first house and it really works. I think it's just a case of working out a cleaning/tidying schedule that works for you two. We've gone through a few that worked, a few that worked for awhile and are still trying to figure out a schedule that works to keep tha basement tidy, but it is doable.

I'm glad you're feeling better about it and good luck sorting everything.