Ally went nuts for a moment

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning I took Ally with me over to the fence separating my house with my neighbor's. My neighbor has 2 dogs, and one is a Labradoodle that is the sweetest thing. I knew that the dog wouldn't have a problem with Ally as I've seen her interact with cats before and she's just a sweety. I figured Ally wouldn't have a problem with the dog, because she has no problem with my dog.

I was wrong.

I held Ally and the dog (Daisy) came up to the fence wagging her tail and looking at Ally (her body language said, "Hello! Who are you? Nice to meet you.
"

I started to pet Daisy and Allly IMMEDIATELY did something I've never seen her do. She started hissing and taking her claws and trying to slash at Daisy. She jumped out of my arms and onto my shoulders just screaming and hissing at Daisy showing her teeth and everything. I've never seen that type of behavior from Ally before. Daisy just stood there still wagging her tail not sure what to make of it all.

I took Ally back inside and she was making this sound like she was stressed out.

So I pet her for a while to calm her down and then put her on my bed to take a nap.

I assume this type of reaction is instinct? Was she scared the dog might hurt her? Or was she upset that I was showing affection to the dog instead of her?

When I left Daisy was still just standing there kind of confused. She never exhibited any aggression. Ally was the only one with a problem.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dogs and cats are natural enemies. Individuals can be friends, but cats will assume that a strange dog is hostile.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup - frightened and defensive. Labradoodle = big. Ally the kitten = small. I'm not surprised. Not sure how to help you if you want them to be friends.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow I've learned my lesson in introducing two animals together. I had a little kitten who probably 6 weeks at the time and was cat sitting my friends cat- the older cat who was about 6 or 7 did nothing while the little kitten's hairs all stood up and she started hissing and growling!! I guess kittens are more freightful and defensive than older cats...It's normal don't worry, she just needs time to get to know the dog from a distance, then approach a little and see what happens, etc. Taking her there in your hands was probably a bad idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought holding her would make her feel more secure. My mistake.

She and Daisy don't have to be friends. Ally and I will be out of here in a few months. I just figured since Daisy was such a sweety, she might make a good friend in the meantime for Ally.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, cats simply don't care to or want to meet new cats and especially dogs that aren't part of the family. When Maia was still a teenager, I was watching my friends Chihuahua, who was a puppy. He came by my place a few times and Maia stood her ground, he just wanted to meet her and she not only wanted nothing to do with him, but I was worried for Axl (the puppy).

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Yeah, cats simply don't care to or want to meet new cats and especially dogs that aren't part of the family. When Maia was still a teenager, I was watching my friends Chihuahua, who was a puppy. He came by my place a few times and Maia stood her ground, he just wanted to meet her and she not only wanted nothing to do with him, but I was worried for Axl (the puppy).
There's a story, perhaps an urban legend, about a Maine Coon who ate a Chihuahua thinking it was a rat.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

There's a story, perhaps an urban legend, about a Maine Coon who ate a Chihuahua thinking it was a rat.
I can see how a cat might make that mistake. I pet sit a Maine Coon who's probably 30 pounds and I pet sit a miniature Chihuahua who's 3 pounds.