Anyone here every been to Mardi Gras?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wanted to go but have never been able to make it. Now, I really hate crowds and would probably have a miserable time, but I still want to experience once. Anyone here ever been there, and what stories do you have to share?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, I've never been to Mardi Gras, but we have Fasching/Carnival over here, and I hate it. There are too many drunks making complete fools of themselves, getting in accidents, fights, etc.. I'm always relieved when it's finally Ash Wednesday.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, not Mardi Gras, but yes to Brasilian Carnaval.... There is NOTHING like it - it is a holiday for the whole country, NOTHING is open, besides hospitals...
Big, huge parties, fantastic time... The only problem is that after 5 days of 24hr party (yep, 5-day holiday), you definitely need another week to recover...

BTW: Rio is NOT the best Carnaval in Brasil... just the most famous. I wish I could go every year......

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yep, I have been to Mardi Gras. I loved it. But then again, that is me - I love stuff like that! I got a ton of beads - one guy discovered that I was from New Zealand and gave me a box - he was working with Elijah Wood and Sean Astin as at the time they were the Bacchus and someone else for that time - it was fun! The best place to get a lot of beads is towards the end of the parade because they need to get rid of them all and they really go all out in throwing them off the floats!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH has gone many times with his Lacrosse team - they planned their annual tournament around it outside N.O. every year.

The first week is slightly more subdued and less crowds than the second week. But since Katrina, it hasn't been the same. I also would like to go sometime. My only trip to New Orleans was for a convention one year in April. Bourbon Street was still hopping and there were beads exchanged during that time.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never been..

Did you know that Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday"?

My French teacher told us that in France, its customary to eat alot that day, expecially fattening foods. She seemed to think that waffles and pancakes with all kinds of toppings were the favorite thing.. so every year in French Class, she'd bring some waffle irons, and various toppings like whipped cream and chocolate syrup, and we had waffles for class and celebrate Mardi Gras.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Nope - we have no desire to go there or to Las Vegas either
Being from the Inyo/Mono county area, I've always considered Vegas a complete waste of electricity and water!!! Esp. since the city's per capita water usage keeps increasing and the city has been after the underground Armagosa Aquifer for decades and is only held off by the Mono Lake Decision (Mono Lake Committee v. City of Los Angeles)

I don't know how I would handle MardiGras. I had some co-workers (guys) who went and found out that showing willies got the better & more beads than the girls displaying their chests. It's a different culture, tho, and i think that I would find it interesting - I just wouldn't take any kids along

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

Never been..

Did you know that Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday"?

My French teacher told us that in France, its customary to eat alot that day, expecially fattening foods. She seemed to think that waffles and pancakes with all kinds of toppings were the favorite thing.. so every year in French Class, she'd bring some waffle irons, and various toppings like whipped cream and chocolate syrup, and we had waffles for class and celebrate Mardi Gras.
Yup, it's because after Mardi Gras, lent starts so people try to eat as much fattening foods as possible for the last time...
I love New Orleans, I love the gay parade because it's so liberating to see people so open about their sexuality, pretty much anything Cajun, the music, the food etc I am a big fan of....I've never been to Mardi Gras but i'm going next year, I will be 21 then and able to drink legally