Black stuff in ear

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello, It looks to me like Misty has black stuff in one ear. She fights me so much if I try and get a good look in there. Is that normally mites or could it be other things?

She don't seem to be bothered by it to much, she sometimes digs and scratches in it.

I want to take her in but wife complains about the cost of going to the vet. I don't want to wait so long it turns into a big problem for Misty or spreads it to the other cats.

I think I know the answers but I am looking for opinions on this.

Tom

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
is the black stuff easily removed, like w/a swab? in my experience, the black stuff caused by mites is very sticky/tarry stuff - not easily removed.
if it IS mites, they're VERY contagious. also, untreated mite infestations can lead to major ear issues.

luv furbabies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have always heard that the black icky stuff is ear mite droppings or eggs. You NEED to get it checked either way, it could be an ear infection. Scratching or digging at the ear also needs to be addressed by a vet. I know its expensive, I am going through many trips to the vet myself. But ear issues are not only miserable for Misty, but don't get better without help

DOES the ear smell?? I know it's weird, but sniff kittys ear, any odor needs to be seen. (((I'm not sure if mite stuff smells or not))) But I am positive that smelly ears are a sign to see the vet!

Good luck

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Tom W:
I want to take her in but wife complains about the cost of going to the vet. I don't want to wait so long it turns into a big problem for Misty or spreads it to the other cats.
Please show her this:

Symptoms of ear mites often mimic other ear diseases. For example, a yeast infection might also produce a black exudate in your cat's ears. Since using anti-mite preparations may aggravate an ear infection, an accurate diagnosis is imperative.
Link to the article where you'll find this info:
http://www.petplace.com/cats/ear-mit...ats/page1.aspx

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if you can swab some out of her ear and the gook reminds you of coffee grinds(dark in color) you more than likely have mites. if there is also an odor coming from her ear id definately take her to the vet for some meds. if its more waxy and lighter brown its more than likely just waxy buildup. a good ear cleaning could help her a bit. good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Misty is going in Thursday morning to be checked out.

runawayrisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dite just had some black stuff in her ear and they said she had an ear infection and gave me some Entederm to put in. Also, there is a solution that you can make for like $1.50 from the grocery store to clean out the ears. It's half white vinegar and half distilled water. Equal parts no matter how big of a quantity you mix. You put it on a cotton ball or gauze and close her ear around it and massage for like 30 secs to a min... then clean out with Qtip. You can't hurt her ears cause her canal is at a 90 deg. angle. Anyways that is something you can do in the mean time. Just some suggestions....the vinegar/water solution won't hurt her. Good luck!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty had mites when we first got him, the vet said that it was quite common. The vet gave us some ear drops and it wasn't too expensive. It was like a black gooey type stuff and he was scratching a bit. The ear drops got rid of them really quickly.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get her checked...would you like to have an untreated infection?

My cats have had both ear mites and Bella had a yeast infection in her ear. With the mites it was sticky, black and looked a bit like used coffee grounds --the vet cured it with one application of ear medicine and they haven't come back.

The yeast infection was treated with a two week course of ear drops (which were ~$20) and a change in diet (no more wheat gluten!).

We now check their ears weekly and periodically we use kitty ear wipes to clean out gunk (gently). that there is a quick inexpensive treatment for your kitty's problems.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Misty has a yeast infection in her ear. The vet cleaned it out the best she could and looked in her ear with a scope thing and said it must not have took hold to hard yet because it was not red or irritated in there yet. I have to put drops in her ear two times a day for 10 days.

Tom

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat (over the RB now) who had recurring problems with yeast in the ears, poor guy. I had never heard of that problem until he came along (at first I thought he had ear mites). The good news is that my other cat never had an issue. Good luck to you and Misty!

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am little worried about Misty, I called the vet so she knows about it. She is also somewhat stumped as to what is going on. What she did with her ear should not have affected her eyes.

what is going on is a couple hours after I got Misty home I noticed that the pupil in the eye on the same side as the infected ear is about half the size as the other eye. I took a flash lite and shined it in her eyes and both eyes react but one pupil stays way smaller than the other. I was told to watch her close tonight.

Anyone have any ides on what might be going on?

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for info on this for you. So far I found this:

Uneven pupils after an ear cleaning can indicate that there is something going on in the middle ear cavity. This is common in something called Horner's syndrome. There are nerves that go to the eye that go through the middle ear of the cat. Usually, this will go away on its own, but certainly let your vet know about it.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Ask-Veter...r-cleaning.htm

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sure sounds like what is going on with Misty, as of right now there is no improvement in her eye, and she seems to have a little problem with balance, when she shakes her head because of her ear bothering her she sometimes falls down on her side. If she don't seem any better in the morning I will call the vet again.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Again, I just put the med in Misty's ear and she immediately started foaming at the mouth and can hardly walk. I am so scared for her right now. I am calling the vet on call for tonight.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

Hi Again, I just put the med in Misty's ear and she immediately started foaming at the mouth and can hardly walk. I am so scared for her right now. I am calling the vet on call for tonight.
Sending mega prayers and vibes for speedy healing out to Misty
Maybe nausea caused by ear problems is making her foam at the mouth! I have had inner ear infections, and they make the room seem slanted. The first time I had one, I was a receptionist - when I pushed my wheeled office chair away from my desk, the world "angled" and I immediately & without warning, yakked in my trash can. My boss had to carry me to his car & to the dr. they thought I was having a stroke
Miserable experience

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

that sounds like the right approach - maybe she's allergic to it?

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Dr on call got back to me, I told him the story and he wonders if she has a ruptured ear drum and not to give her any more of the drops.

Misty was really hurting when when the vet was digging in her ear, I hope she didn't do any damage to the inner ear. Misty was fine before I took her in this morning, just had black stuff in her ear and now all this. I am going to call first thing in the morning and get her back in.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh God, how awful. I hope and pray Misty doesn't have a ruptured ear drum. That would be terrible. Sending heartfelt prayers for her.