Show or no?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to decide if I should enter Roxy in the Chicagoland Pet Show household cat show this year... I entered her last year and she was great in it, she ended up winning 1st place. However I took her to another show (a TICA show where she was in New Traits) after that and she was hissing in the judging cages and not as happy...she was still a kitten then and she's over a year old now. I wasn't going to show her after that happened but last month I took her to a photographer and she was really good. She wasn't scared at all of being in a strange place. When the photographer got out a toy she posed and played and was very relaxed and calm. So I am thinking of entering her in a show again but I am not sure if she will enjoy it or how she will behave?

Oh by the way here is one of the photographs they took--

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't try, you will never know.

Pretty kitty!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try again. A kid may have spooked her at that show and maybe she just ended up in a huff that day? You can always withdraw her on the day (at least you can here) if she's not happy. She's beautiful.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
if she's normally fairly calm, temperament-wise, i'd go ahead - she's really lovely.
my Java might do well [behavior-wise] at a show - but i'm too lazy/busy to enter one. she LOVES meeting new people at home - not sure how she'd do in a strange place, tho.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try her again. To be honest, I had better luck showing males then females. Sometimes they freak out in one show hall and not another - even if they are seasoned cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is usually very calm and laid back but she doesn't really seem to enjoy being held. I mean she doesn't scratch or bite or struggle or anything but sometimes she will meow if you pick her up. (I think part of it is she is so long-bodied that it is hard to lift her and keep her balanced upright!)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

To be honest, I had better luck showing males then females.
Just curious, is that neutered males? Because I know a good few entire males who have had to be pulled from the showring because they cannot abide being caged within smelling distance of other entire males. One gorgeous OSH stud I know personally was on his way to some mega-fantastic regional or world title in TICA (he'd already reached UK quadruple grand champion in the space of just a couple of shows, absolutely gorgeous black/brown classic tabby with the most gorgeous ears and head ever) and had to be pulled because although he was OK with showing per se, he sprayed all over the show pen and judges whenever there was another male in the near vicinity!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Yes - the neutered boys. I did show my breeding Rex male with no problems, but 95% of them are neutered.
Ah, I was hoping you would have some good tip for keeping entire boys calm in the showring surrounded by all those challenging scents that I could pass on to my friends! It can get too much for them, all the breeders I know have carried on showing their studs as long as possible -but mostly they have had to pack a good show career into a short space of time before it becomes too much for them, just in terms of being surrounded by other cats (this is OSH and Siamese, who tend towards being less relaxed than other breeds in the first place). Seeing how stressed an entire male can sometimes get around other cats could I believe be a really good argument in favour of neutering amongst people who can't immediately see the benefits - I am glad that my neutered pet boys experience so much less stress in comparison, thanks to a minor operation.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Ah, I was hoping you would have some good tip for keeping entire boys calm in the showring surrounded by all those challenging scents that I could pass on to my friends!
The only tip I have is use a smaller cage, given the space of a double cage most boys will spray but when put in the longhair or single cages (21"x21" & 18x18) they don't have the room to pace and so usually don't spray.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The only tip I have is use a smaller cage, given the space of a double cage most boys will spray but when put in the longhair or single cages (21"x21" & 18x18) they don't have the room to pace and so usually don't spray.
We don't have a choice of cage sizes, they are all the same size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay guys I entered Roxy in the show! Please wish us luck!
I entered Roxy and two of my "foster" kittens (the two I will probably be keeping)... I am hoping I can find someone to go with me on Saturday because it's going to be hard to get them all into the rings promptly without help! I have at least 2 people coming with me on Sunday but they have to work on Saturday. :/

I hope they don't take a lot of points off for weight... One of the kittens is pretty chubby but he is the friendliest and most laid-back so I think he would enjoy showing which is why I chose him- plus he has a nice coloration.

These are the two others I'm taking besides Roxy. It's kinda funny because these two they are the largest and the smallest kitten in the litter of 7 I rescued! They're also both ticked.

Spot

Harlequin

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope you do good.
Cleos show is April 4/5.
Has she been entered? Wow I'm so excited. I don't have a show that weekend but I've got 2 essays due on the Monday so I'll be waiting to hear results!