Door opening and slamming on its own

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know threads like this are made every few months, but I know some people don't like thread bumping, so here goes..

A few years ago (about 2002), I was watching tv in my parents room. It was probably between 8 and 10 in the morning. I don't remember how it started, but the bedroom door started opening and closing/slamming on its own. There was nobody there to move the door - my mom was on the couch in the living room, my brothers were sleeping, and my dad was probably playing a game. I'd say it closed and opened completely no less than five times. I remember being petrified, just sitting there staring at the door. I was too scared to tell my mom what happened so I pulled the sheets over my head! A few minutes later when I went out to tell her what happened, she asked me why I was 'slamming the door like that'. Needless to say, I wasn't.

Every time I tell this story, my eyes start to water. My house was built in 1971 and excluding us, there have been two previous owners that I know of. Nobody has died here and nothing like that has happened since. Is there any logical reason as to why the door would do that?

I'd like to hear your guys' stories if you have any!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I've had the TV switch off all on it's own without being anywhere near it or the remote. It's happened 3 times on different nights. I'm sure that's easily explained, not like your door slamming incident! I do occasionally hear a song come on the radio that I was humming just minutes before or when I'm thinking of someone ...I'm sure that's coincidental. But your story gives me goosebumps!!!
I don't mean to sound all paranormal or anything but have you checked to see what was on your ground before the house was built??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My city was built on the plains. Aboriginals lived in the area, but I'm not sure if they lived right here. After the city was incorporated around 1885, our property was farmland until the early 1970s. I don't think any farmhouses were built on our property, either. But something could've happened nearby!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're younger, maybe you're doing it. Have you been stressed out at all lately?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love threads like this! Thanks for sharing your interesting story.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Electronic incidents can often be explained by the neighbor's TV remote or garage door opener, or even a device of some kind in a passing vehicle... but the slamming-door thing is a little tougher! How fast was the motion of the door? When it closed, did the latch engage, and then disengage again when it opened? Were the five open-and-closings in rapid succession, or did they take place over a period of time? How long?

I know what you mean about just sitting staring at a phenomenon your mind can't process. I saw something in my living room once that just stupefied me, and it's a very strange feeling!

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i love stories like this. Do you think it could have been wind? was that the only incident? im very interested in the super natural.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the houses I lived in back in New Jersey had previously been owned by a family which had an elderly woman suffering from Alzheimers living there. The door locks were on the outside of a lot of the inside doors (like the garage door inside) so they could lock her inside while they were gone. She ended up dying there a year or so before we moved in. I was telling a friend of mine online about it, and suddenly the power to the computer and every light in that room went off, then popped back on. Kind of freaky. It wasn't storming out, the breaker didn't go, etc. None of the other lights in the house were affected.

Another time, I was sitting on the couch, and we had those light bulbs where there was 3 different brightnesses to them. I had it on dim while watching tv, and by itself, it went through the brighter two settings and then off. No one was down there but me, and you could even hear the clicking sound the knob on the lamp made.

I'm not that big a believer in the super natural at all. I used to be when I was younger (and living in that house). My mom and I used to watch those shows all the time where people would stay in "haunted houses". I dont know how to explain what happened in that house, but it sure was weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

i love stories like this. Do you think it could have been wind? was that the only incident? im very interested in the super natural.
I don't know about wind. That's the only time the door has done that, thank goodness, because it gave me the willies!

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Electronic incidents can often be explained by the neighbor's TV remote or garage door opener, or even a device of some kind in a passing vehicle... but the slamming-door thing is a little tougher! How fast was the motion of the door? When it closed, did the latch engage, and then disengage again when it opened? Were the five open-and-closings in rapid succession, or did they take place over a period of time? How long?

I know what you mean about just sitting staring at a phenomenon your mind can't process. I saw something in my living room once that just stupefied me, and it's a very strange feeling!
The movement of the door was fairly quick, and the whole thing happened in less than ten seconds. I can't remember if the latch moved at all.

Yes, it is a weird feeling! I'd like to hear your story!

Originally Posted by Essayons89

Where were the cats? Did they notice it or act strange?
Squee wasn't born yet and Scratch was about a year old, but I don't remember where she was in the house or if she acted strange.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

You're younger, maybe you're doing it. Have you been stressed out at all lately?
At the time I wasn't stressed out, but now I am (school)!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our front door will close on its own. It sounds all creepy because the house is old (built in 1932) and the door creaks. But it's just that the door closes on it's own, nothing spooky. This was actually the least scary old house we looked at. One house had a basement I didn't like in the daylight, let alone home at night by myself.

My in-laws' house on the other hand, is haunted.
Nothing has happened here like at their house. Thank goodness. My DH grew up in that house and has lots of stories. I experienced a few things when I lived there with him in 2001-2002. I think the ghost is more of a prankster than a scary ghost.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you read up, or even watched anything, where they mention that often when there's a teen or pre-teen in the home that the activity can usually just be linked back to them somehow causing it? No ghosts.

I wondered for several years if that's all that was going on in my home... but stuff happened when I had been gone for a year and I had little stuff happen up till a few years ago - when I took measures to stop it.

We had doors open and close too, while the house was far from level there's simply no way a dead bolted door can unlock itself open then slam shut.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was in 5th grade I went on a trip with one of my friends and her parents to Colorado. We stopped on the way at a friend of theirs and spent the night. That evening my friend and I were in the bedroom we were going to sleep in and were playing a game or something, and the door (which was previously closed) started opening really slowly and then shut again. We immediately freaked out and ran to see if one of the adults did it to scare us, but they were all in the kitchen on the other side of the house, chatting and playing cards I think. We told them what happened, and the owners of the house told us that someone was buried in the back yard behind the room we were in. Neither my friend or I could sleep for the rest of the night. The next day we looked, and there really was someone buried in the backyard, gravestone and all.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tara & Rob

Another time, I was sitting on the couch, and we had those light bulbs where there was 3 different brightnesses to them. I had it on dim while watching tv, and by itself, it went through the brighter two settings and then off. No one was down there but me, and you could even hear the clicking sound the knob on the lamp made.
I had a lamp like that. It used to turn on in the middle of the night while I was sleeping and it would always turn on to the brightest setting. It used to scare me every time.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have anything scary to report. The closest thing I have is my grandmotherâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s music box that I inherited when she passed away. It is a jewelry box with the wind up key on the back and a little switch attached inside one of the drawers so when you open the drawer it plays and stops when you shut it. Last year when I moved into my apartment I wound it up and let it play itself out before closing it up and putting it on a shelf in the closet and it hadnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t made a peep since. A few months later I was sitting in my bedroom thinking about my grandmother and out of nowhere I hear that music box start playing in the closet. I went in there and the drawer was closed but it was playing away. After a few minutes it stopped. I live alone so that freaked me out a little.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE THESE STORIES! I have mixed feelings about supernatural or the paranormal. Things that can't be explained still give me the willies!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love these sort of stories...I'm very interested in all things paranormal
I hope to study to be a parapsychologist later next month
It's going to be so cool!

Anyways..last night my parents and I set up the camcorder in our living room and set it to night vision for at least an hour and a half, we saw some amazing orbs too...both big and little ones near to our fireplace. We done this little experiment because my boyfriend is into that sort of thing too, and he wanted to see an orb in real life. After seeing several of them round at my house last night, he was happy

I have admit, I do believe we have a spirit world now that I have seen proof of it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^With "orbs" I tend not to believe a single thing I see on video or in pictures. Dust is everywhere and it's impossible to remove all air currents from a home. It makes for incredibly poor evidence of anything paranormal going on.

Now if you actually see a ball of light go through a room, that's a little less easily dismissed.
In my old house I saw a few, two could have possibly been outside light but the ones in my bedroom could not have been. At one point I was getting so many migraines a week that I completely covered the windows so that absolutely no outside like could come in. I did get so called orbs in pictures taken there, but again it was a dusty house so I'm certain thats what those where. That and they looked different than what I actually seen in person.
There used to be a paranormal group in this state (no idea what happened to them) that had researched an old empty hospital for several years. They had web cams set up to catch stuff - paranormal, animals, human trespassers, etc. One night I happened to click over to it and did see some weird dancing balls of like that looked a lot more like what I've seen - they look more solid/3D. This was the only time I've seen something recorded that looked like that.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you read up, or even watched anything, where they mention that often when there's a teen or pre-teen in the home that the activity can usually just be linked back to them somehow causing it? No ghosts.

I wondered for several years if that's all that was going on in my home... but stuff happened when I had been gone for a year and I had little stuff happen up till a few years ago - when I took measures to stop it.

We had doors open and close too, while the house was far from level there's simply no way a dead bolted door can unlock itself open then slam shut.
ive heard something similiar to this, that its easier for the ghosts to manifest when theirs teens or preteens in the house, they manifest off their energy or something like that, thats why usually these things happen when theres kids or teens in the house.