This might be a stupid question.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the ferals I couldn't catch that's pregnant is SO big? Can they ever get TOO big, and like, get hurt or sick or something? She's wider than she is tall, and she has very short legs. (Finally gave me an idea for a name for her! She is now Mrs. Waddles!)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rule number one - there are no stupid questions.

Cats can get too big and, like all animals, may have trouble with pregnancy/delivery. But this is probably not the case here. Can her short legs mean she's a Munchkin? (Like Bassett Hounds and Dachsunds, they are bred for their short legs). Personally, I think its creepy but some people like it.

Anyway, maybe Ms. Waddles looks so big because her legs are proportionally short. I sure hope you're able to catch her before the kittens come along. This time of year will be brutal on them all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Rule number one - there are no stupid questions.

Cats can get too big and, like all animals, may have trouble with pregnancy/delivery. But this is probably not the case here. Can her short legs mean she's a Munchkin? (Like Bassett Hounds and Dachsunds, they are bred for their short legs). Personally, I think its creepy but some people like it.

Anyway, maybe Ms. Waddles looks so big because her legs are proportionally short. I sure hope you're able to catch her before the kittens come along. This time of year will be brutal on them all.
I don't think she's full munchkin...maybe part munchkin because they aren't THAT short, but shorter than usual. I feel so bad for her. She's just huge, she can't get around very well at all. I wish she wasn't so scared of me.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried disguising the trap? Stack bales of hay/straw on the sides and top (leave the back uncovered - they think it's a tunnel that way).

You can also put a large cardboard box around it - just make sure the mechanism isn't blocked and leave the back uncovered. This gives the cats a sense that there's an escape route available. Anything to try and dress it up can help fool the cat into going into it.

Poor thing - she's probably really uncomfortable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ondine

Have you tried disguising the trap? Stack bales of hay/straw on the sides and top (leave the back uncovered - they think it's a tunnel that way).

You can also put a large cardboard box around it - just make sure the mechanism isn't blocked and leave the back uncovered. This gives the cats a sense that there's an escape route available. Anything to try and dress it up can help fool the cat into going into it.

Poor thing - she's probably really uncomfortable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...
The problem isn't her, I'm sure I could get her, the problem is the strays and the tamer ferals. They follow me all over the yard. I was trying to catch the other pregnant one Friday, I would bait the trap and they kitties wouldn't leave it alone. I think I'm just going to catch the kittens in two months after they're born and use them to trap her and get her spayed.