Alternative cat food for cat allergy?

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat has been diagnosed with a food allergy and was prescribed Science Diet D/D (duck and green pea). At $40 for an 8lb bag, and three cats, it has become too expensive.

It was recommended that she try Purina One for sensitive skin, which is a turkey-based food. After eating this for a few weeks he has developed some minor signs of allergic reaction, and she is afraid this will get worse.

Can anyone recommend an alternative food (he apparently is allergic to chicken)? Purina One also has a salmon and tuna based food. Do you suppose this might be the answer?

Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Orijen has a fish formula (6 fresh fish). Acana also has a fish formula (Pacifica) as well as a lamb/duck formula (Grasslands). Both are also grain free and high in protein.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Angelwing

Orijen has a fish formula (6 fresh fish). Acana also has a fish formula (Pacifica) as well as a lamb/duck formula (Grasslands). Both are also grain free and high in protein.
Fish is a very common allergen in cats.

How did they determine he was allergic to chicken? If it was via a blood test, those are not always accurate.

I use either the Prescription Royal Canin duck & Green Pea or Venison & Green Pea or the Natural Balance of the same flavors.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best diet for this may be a specially prepared raw food diet that can be made at home. it does have to be specially prepared. Let me know if you want links