Took Chynna to the Vet today

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Chynna to the vet today. On the way there she kept sticking her paw outside the carrier and grabbing at my coat. The taxi driver thought it was the cutest thing!!

She had her T4 test done. I don't know the results yet. I had them give me a weeks worth of the Tapazole until I can get to the pharmacy, plus a prescription for it and some potassium supplement.

They weighed her and she has gained 100 grams since the last visit a few weeks ago
It's not much, but it's a start!

She's being such a snug bug right now

By the way while I was there waiting, a lady came in with her small dog. She told me that she has 13 cats and 2 dogs and each and every one of them gets taken to the vet once a year for a yearly check up! Her dog was there for her's. She told me that 2 years ago one of her cats died: she was 30 years old!
Her oldest right now is 18 years old.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To budget that in she most go to the vet nearly monthly! Or the vets are just really good to her payment wise.

Thirty years! I wonder what her secret is? Are all of her cats indoor only?

And any improvement is better than nothing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

To budget that in she most go to the vet nearly monthly! Or the vets are just really good to her payment wise.

Thirty years! I wonder what her secret is? Are all of her cats indoor only?

And any improvement is better than nothing!
The vet told me that once they see what her T4 results are, they will know how much medication I need to give her. If it shows her thyroid within normal limits, I just continue giving the 1/2 tablet every day and then have her tested again in 1 year. If her thyroid is still high, they will have me increase the dose and go back for another test in a few weeks again.

Once they get her thryoid levels normal, the testing will be yearly. However, because she has renal problems and the Tapazole is likely to further that along, I will probably have to take her in a few months from now to have her blood pressure and her need for blood pressure medication evaluated. It's quite possible that she could end up being taken off the high blood pressure pills in order to help increase blood to her kidneys in order to slow down the progression of the renal decline.

The vet is good with payment arrangements. If it gets to the point where it's costing hundreds per month, then I will talk to them about payments again. The fact that I established a credit relationship with them last year, I think they will be accommodating if I need to go that route.

EDIT: I just reread your reply. I realize you were talking about the woman with 13 cats and 3 dogs and getting them checked over yearly. That would be expensive and time consuming having to go probably monthly as you said. I didn't get into the details, but I did get that she was married and that they both work. So they must some how be able to manage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet called me today with Chynna's test results. Her thyroid function is within normal limits now, so I am to continue with the 1/2 Tapazole pill per day. I need to take her back in 6 months for a renal function test, and again in a year for a renal and a T4 function test.

Next I need to concentrate on getting Abby to the vet for a senior panel and a dental. Probably not until April though.