2/23 Iwo Jima Flag Day - Can we remember??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising...ag_on_Iwo_Jima
I know it was a long time ago since the historic raising of the US flag on Iwo Jima, but I think it is important to remember!!!!
My FIL is an Iwo survivor - he was only 17yo at the time. At the IWO Survivor's reunions, I have heard some heartwrenching stories. My fave veteran, Ed, is a cat lover who was in 5 first landings and found solace in becoming a veterinarian

Anyone here in TCS have any sentiments or messages that you'd like to share?
from me..... Gentlemen, both those here among us and those over RB, THANK YOU AND MAY GOD REWARD YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE....

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All of the soldiers and Marines who served in the Pacific Theater had/have more courage in their little fingers than most of us have in our whole bodies. The things they endured, the horrors they saw and kept going for love of country, the insurmountable odds that they overcame with valor... I'm in awe of them!

Thank you, brave men and women, for serving our great country, and for sacrificing more than I will ever comprehend for your future and my future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

All of the soldiers and Marines who served in the Pacific Theater had/have more courage in their little fingers than most of us have in our whole bodies. The things they endured, the horrors they saw and kept going for love of country, the insurmountable odds that they overcame with valor... I'm in awe of them!

Thank you, brave men and women, for serving our great country, and for sacrificing more than I will ever comprehend for your future and my future.
Thank you, Heidi!!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That picture of the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi is one of the most famous to come out of WWII, there was still a lot of hard fighting to secure the island after it was raised but it had to be an incredible morale boost to the Marines and the Navy.

The hard, bitter lessons learned at Guadalcanal and Tarawa helped to prepare the Marines for what would be their toughest fight in the war up that point...Iwo Jima. Okinawa proved to be even costlier but every victory placed them one step closer to Japan.

Every one of them is a hero in my book.