Ideas for an alcohol free event?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Ok, so I'm organizing a conference at school and things got screwed up with our alcohol permit, so we can't serve alcohol.

We were going to have an informal pizza/beer event one night, and a more formal wine thing the next.

Now we have to make it work without the beer and wine, and we want to distract people from the fact that we don't have alcohol by offering them something else that's fun.

My first thought was a make-your-own-sundae bar for the first night... but getting a freezer would be too complicated.
Chocolate fountains are too expensive (I checked)

What else could we do?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a mocktail party? serve virgin types of a lot of popular drinks and even get people to wear cocktail dresses/nice clothes.

Or maybe a murder mystery night just to add some fun?

or maybe contact your local pastry or culinary institute and have a tasting one night where a group of their top students serve up food for everyone to try?

I'll try to think of a few more ideas! What kind of event is it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

How about a mocktail party? serve virgin types of a lot of popular drinks and even get people to wear cocktail dresses/nice clothes.

Or maybe a murder mystery night just to add some fun?

or maybe contact your local pastry or culinary institute and have a tasting one night where a group of their top students serve up food for everyone to try?

I'll try to think of a few more ideas! What kind of event is it?
It's a graduate conference (where graduate students and profs come to present their research).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'm still leaning towards the sundae bar... I wonder how long ice cream would keep in a cooler full of ice, and how much I could fit in the department kitchen's freezer (if there is one)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pack it in dry ice and you're set for HOURS. Regular ice won't help you much.

Cally

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most grocery stores have it. We use it for halloween every year. Around here its 99 cents a lb so it may be a little more than regular ice but it does make things much colder! Just do not touch it!!! Might even want to put a little warning label on the cooler saying its dry ice not to touch.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the sundae party sounds grand, btw. If you can't booze it up, might as well eat ice cream. You could be really creative with the toppings with all the neat Easter candy out right now as well.

Cally