Did you watch the Oscars?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really enjoyed it!! I LOVE Hugh Jackman for a start, and thought he did a fabulous job - the opening number was great!

The whole thing seemed to have a facelift, and was more fun and interesting than previous years.

I'm only halfway through it, but think all the winners are very deserving so far

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a single second of it. Drag racing from Phoenix was on, and then we went to bed when Dottie got home from bowling.

Wow...do we sound classy, or what?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CATTYBIRD

Yes, I did watch the OSCARS. It was pretty good, especially with Hugh Jackman as the host! Has anyone here seen SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE?
Yup it's a fantastic movie. My friend is from the area where it was filmed and he said it's so true to real life

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched from the beginning to when the guy won for "Animation - short" and then I had to go back to work.

I thought Jackman did a great job. I was taken aback with his song and dance routine at the beginning and actually cringed. I'm not really sure how I feel about it actually, it seems just so out of character for him that I'm at odds with it.

What I found interesting was the fact that Brad Pitt was sitting up front and centre and they had Jennifer Aniston as a presenter. I noticed that she was looking out into space at the distant audience instead of close up like most presenters do. Plus she seemed nervous and was tripping over her words at times. I think she was really uncomfortable with them being so "in her face" because it's not a secret that Brad and Angelina got together while he and Jen were still married.

On a side note, the dress Goldie Hawn was wearing was totally inappropriate for her figure. She's pretty and she's certainly not fat, but the dress had no breast support and left way too much exposed up top. Her boobs looked saggy and she was spilling out all around the sides. Her stylist should have picked something else for her to wear. The colour was great on her though. And what was with that other girl that was up there with Goldie? She had short, very blonde hair (sorry, didn't catch her name), but she looked like she was wrapped up in a bed sheet

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I started watching them on the red carpet but then i had to go to bed

The awards will be programmed to come on at a reasonable time to watch though.

British films did excellent this year

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

On a side note, the dress Goldie Hawn was wearing was totally inappropriate for her figure. She's pretty and she's certainly not fat, but the dress had no breast support and left way too much exposed up top. Her boobs looked saggy and she was spilling out all around the sides. Her stylist should have picked something else for her to wear. The colour was great on her though. And what was with that other girl that was up there with Goldie? She had short, very blonde hair (sorry, didn't catch her name), but she looked like she was wrapped up in a bed sheet
I agree, and I think the bed sheet girl was Tilda Swinton?

I think Hugh Jackman did a good job, the whole musical stuff seemed a little strange but when you think about that he does broadway it worked. And I think it was supposed to be a little cheesy. I think he did a great job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hugh Jackman started off doing musicals! He was on West End doing Oklahoma long before he was doing Hollywood movies. He played Peter Allen in Boy from Oz for 2 years on Broadway, where he played a flamboyant gay man. The opening sequence for the Oscars is what I think he enjoys the most - having fun singing! I thought Anne Hathaway did well too!

I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet - tried to last week but it was sold out! I haven't seen most of the Oscar movies, I need to add them to my Netflix queue.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoyed them more this year than I have in past years.

I really don't like Angelina Jolie and because of her I now don't like Brad Pitt and would not go to see a movie with either of them in it. I've never had much use for women who steal other women's husbands even though the husband is also as much to blame, thus why I don't like Brad Pitt.

I did notice Jennifer Aniston look down at some folks in the first row and acknowledge them - I do doubt whether it was Brad and Angie however.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I really don't like Angelina Jolie and because of her I now don't like Brad Pitt and would not go to see a movie with either of them in it. I've never had much use for women who steal other women's husbands even though the husband is also as much to blame, thus why I don't like Brad Pitt.

They both nauseate me!

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I really enjoyed it!! I LOVE Hugh Jackman for a start, and thought he did a fabulous job - the opening number was great!

The whole thing seemed to have a facelift, and was more fun and interesting than previous years.

I'm only halfway through it, but think all the winners are very deserving so far
If you like Hugh Jackman, Xmen Origin: Wolverine is out this year.

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Hugh Jackman started off doing musicals! He was on West End doing Oklahoma long before he was doing Hollywood movies. He played Peter Allen in Boy from Oz for 2 years on Broadway, where he played a flamboyant gay man. The opening sequence for the Oscars is what I think he enjoys the most - having fun singing! I thought Anne Hathaway did well too!

I haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire yet - tried to last week but it was sold out! I haven't seen most of the Oscar movies, I need to add them to my Netflix queue.
My fave role of Hugh Jackman's was Wolverine. Also, Heath Ledger definitely deserved his Oscar win, alive OR dead. That was one of THE best performances hands down.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was great! I could do without the extra musical performances, though I did enjoy the nominees performance. I was routing for Slumdoq Millionaire, and they did great! Kate Winslet and Sean Penn also deserved there win! It was one of the first award shows I watched full through, ever!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

If you like Hugh Jackman, Xmen Origin: Wolverine is out this year.
Yep - can't wait!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I felt so sorry for Jennifer Aniston, presenting with Brad and Angelina right in front of her! I'm sure she has moved on and everything but I hate how they publicize everything Brad and Angelina do, like they are the most amazing couple in the world...I'm sick of them, especially Angelina Jolie, I've never found her attractice.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved it this year -- especially the new format, with previous winners in the actor categories speaking about (and to) the current nominees. That brought greater lustre to the nomination itself, which really should be considered a lasting honor.

I felt bad for Anthony Hopkins, though, standing right there while Michael Douglas stated that Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon" had eclipsed all other portrayals of Nixon. It's absolutely true -- Langella was amazing! -- but it had to hurt Hopkins's feelings.

I was so happy for Sean Penn, winning as Harvey Milk. He played the living daylights out of the guy (as he always does). And the screenwriter won, too! Just a kid, but what a rich and meaningful film he wrote!

I haven't seen "Slumdog Millionaire" yet, but I couldn't help being happy for their win -- it's wonderful to see a little independent film make good!