siamese tempermental?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

Every time i go to a cat show it seems the siamese are the most fiesty breed! Today I thought 2 of them were gonna rip the judges face off at the cat show i wen't to! lol

Anyone else notice this? I kinda like that about them to be honest it gives them character!

marieba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
maybe it's just "show" cats? I have a traditional "applehead" who is the sweetest, most social thing ever! When the doorbell rings, she comes running to see who is visiting. She allows herself (demands, actually) to be cuddled to death by all members of the family. She follows me from room to room and always comes running when I call her (dare I say it?? like a dog!!
) She's also super, super playful. She'll play fetch with her mousies, and she tears around the house and leaps tall building to get to da bird.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by marieba

maybe it's just "show" cats? I have a traditional "applehead" who is the sweetest, most social thing ever! When the doorbell rings, she comes running to see who is visiting. She allows herself (demands, actually) to be cuddled to death by all members of the family. She follows me from room to room and always comes running when I call her (dare I say it?? like a dog!!
) She's also super, super playful. She'll play fetch with her mousies, and she tears around the house and leaps tall building to get to da bird.
Yes, that's our Bijou as well. Mika is also very, very sociable and loves children especially. Perhaps it's because they are appleheads versus the modern Siamese. My hubby laughs and says he just can't give Bijou the attention he seems to need. Bijou wants to be with one of us at all times and when he wants to play he'll bring his toys to us in his mouth and drop them at or on our feet. He also just loves to be cuddled and doesn't seem to get tired of it. Mika will stand and "talk" to us to get attention and then rub herself against us over and over.

marieba

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yosemite! what gorgeous kitties you have!! We are thinking of getting another kitten in the fall (we are going away for 2 weeks this summer) and are leaning toward a blue point if available

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the siamese I know are nice except my sisters Maui.
She chews up everything.
My Coco is half siamese and is very nice.
My seal point siamese I had when I was a kid was very nice also.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yosemite! what gorgeous kitties you have!! We are thinking of getting another kitten in the fall (we are going away for 2 weeks this summer) and are leaning toward a blue point if available
Thank you. I always wanted a lilac or blue point Siamese since I was in my twenties. About 3 months after we lost our lovely Simba and I was feeling very feline deprived, I called this breeder and she had 3 blue/lilac points. My hubby and daughter were out so when they came home I asked him if we could go see the cats, fully expecting him to say no since it was around 8 pm on a Sunday night. Well, to my amazement he said yes and it was a 2+ hour drive there and 2+ hours back. He chose Bijou (or Bijou chose him) and the rest is history. I've loved all my kitties, but Bijou really is special and my husband, who wasn't particularly a cat person, is totally smitten with Bijou. Our daughter was living on her own for awhile and she went to the same breeder about a year later and got Mika who is a full sister to Bijou but from a later litter. They have the most wonderful temperament and disposition we've ever seen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my smartest pet cats was a siamese he loved me to death but did not like strangers very much, and was NOT NICE to the vet! lol

Something about them seems so magical i dont know i just can't pin point it like they have special powers or something? Always felt like they were not a domestic cat and came from space or something. I just can't see them evolving from the african wild cat, Even tho i know they have.

I am so obsessed with them i always have been since lady and the tramp! LOL

just all the long hairs at the cat show seem so docile and placid like a stuffed animal and then the siamese come out and the judges get on their toes and are concentrate strongly on wispering to the Siamese while they are growling.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a siamese and he is actually the most compacent, smartest and sweetest cat I have ever had. He actually just got accepted into a therapy program, so he has to be very well behaved in large groups of people. He is the best cat in the whole world actually

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

just all the long hairs at the cat show seem so docile and placid like a stuffed animal and then the siamese come out and the judges get on their toes and are concentrate strongly on wispering to the Siamese while they are growling.
The 'vibe' from the judge can have a lot to do with how the cats react. I've never seen a Siamese act up at a show, I know several show Siamese & OSH's and they have wonderful temperaments.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Most of the friendly Siamese I met over the years were 'appleheads'. There was one old friendly lynx point who used to come to the Vet practice often, had CRF, poor thing, and he was a lovebug too.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

Most of the friendly Siamese I met over the years were 'appleheads'. There was one old friendly lynx point who used to come to the Vet practice often, had CRF, poor thing, and he was a lovebug too.
Bijou is like that at the vet. She pulled the tube out of his back (where he had an abscess) and it must have hurt. He just lay there and barely flinched. Then she started petting him and he just purred and sat there. Now Mika is another story. It takes 2 people to hold her for her needles and she's only 8-9 lbs.

I may be biased but I think the appleheads are the best.

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Hopey is a former show cat and she is so scared of strangers. She will curl up into a ball and fall asleep between my arm and waist purring the whole time, yet the second a stranger comes in she runs and hides. She is actually getting a bit better in that she won't hiss anymore. She used to hiss in the cat show and just hated the whole environment. She also hated going to stud and never “did the deed”. So she is neutered now and much happier TBH.

Mica has never had any such problems. She is very friendly and likes people.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not in my area. I"ve seen a few other breeds/individuals who act up - and one owner should not even be showing their one cat - he hates it so much and they ignore judges comments, other exhibitors and keep claiming how much he really does like being there!

He got so bad, I had to put my cat far away from him in the rings as he would upset the others there.