Need help with Norwegian Name for Genealogy Purposes

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been working on my family history for many years, and need to know if this is could be a Norwegian female's first name and surname: Maren Theine. She was born in Oslo in 1858.

No one in my family can agree on what my great-grandmother's name was and I came across her obituary, but I've learned to secure at least two sources before believing anything. Before I go any further, I need to know if I'm on the right track.

Thanks!
Cathy

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maren is a Scandinavian name. I'm not sure about Theine, though. Were it earlier I could simply ask some friends if they've heard that name around.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend in Norway, will ask him later if he is online

ETA: Ok here is his answer, sorry its not more helpful!

Tor: Well, Maren sounds very scandinavian and could be either Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Theine is not common, but it could also be either one. is a bit hard determining exact which tho

He also says there is less than 3 people with the name Theine in Norway today. Not sure where he got that info.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having worked on genealogy for years, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes you just need to take a stab in the dark when it comes to unusual names. You mentioned you had an obit; have you checked census data, too?
Sometimes, especially with females, you simply can't find 2 sources.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

Having worked on genealogy for years, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes you just need to take a stab in the dark when it comes to unusual names. You mentioned you had an obit; have you checked census data, too?
Sometimes, especially with females, you simply can't find 2 sources.
The obit didn't list her maiden name and the only census listings I have is when she was married. I may have found her on a ship manifest when she came to the US, but she was already married. ARGHHH! It's very frustrating.

When the weather gets warmer my sister and I are going to the cemetery where they're buried and hopeully they may have more info.

Thanks everyone for their help!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, that's her married name. Then I'd hazard a guess that Theine sounds more English than anything.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Ah, that's her married name. Then I'd hazard a guess that Theine sounds more English than anything.
Her married name was either Swendsen or Svendsen. I guess I did not make that clear.