Rabies shot causes fatigue & appetite loss?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats (totally indoor cats) got a vet checkup today, and the vet said that all cats must get an annual rabies shot. Is that an actual (Ohio?) law or something, does anyone know? I've never heard anything about this before. At any rate, the cats all received a rabies shot.

Ever since the shot, the kitties haven't been eating much and seem tired. The vet did say they might "not be themselves" for the rest of the day. The smallest cat seems the most affected, and the largest seems the least affected. One kitty, who's typically very playful and sweet, does nothing but lie around and actually hissed at me. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More and more vets are going to every 3 years, but as others say, laws vary.

As to the reaction to the shots, that seems more and more common, these days. Keep an eye on them. Make sure they don't have a fever. And call the vet and ask what you should watch for as danger signs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

More and more vets are going to every 3 years, but as others say, laws vary.

As to the reaction to the shots, that seems more and more common, these days. Keep an eye on them. Make sure they don't have a fever. And call the vet and ask what you should watch for as danger signs.
mrblanche: What's the law in TX? Do you know?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I don't. I think the local laws require every year. Actually, we have pretty strict pet laws in this town; we are at the maximum number of allowable cats for our size of lot, which is 3 adult cats.

Well, I just looked up the law. Here it is:

Texas Rabies Law

One year or three years, depending on the vaccine.

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Texas also. My vet recommends to not use the 3 year vaccine--it is not as safe! The Merial vaccine is a non-adjuvenated vaccine and much, much safer, but it is only a one year vaccine. Kody's breeder also advised us to only use the Merial vaccine.

I was upset when we adopted him--the shelter would not let us take him to our own vet for the vaccine and insisted on vaccinating him. They used the Ft. Dodge 3 year rabies, which I have read not to use.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm I'm curious, I know I am supposed to vaccinate at 4 months old but I am waiting until Jake is 6 months because I want to get the rabies vaccine, the heartworm test and heartworm prevention all in the same visit and heartworm stuff is not done until 6 months old. Am I going to have problems with the vet, like are they going to want to quarantine him because he isn't current on his shot, or anything like that, or will it be okay to just give him the shot at 6 months. He is indoor only and I wouldn't even give him the shot if it wasn't the law..

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably most people on here know much more than I know about cats, so I always feel funny replying.

But I do know the breeders always do give some initial shots. I do think it is important to get the first ones and I think it is a series of shots. But after that, having researched it like I have now, I do not think Kody will be getting many more shots. They say even the one year rabies vaccine is probably good for at least 3 years itself. I know this isn't in your question, but I would also ask if they will vaccinate in one of the rear legs (I think that is what I have read) not up by the neck and shoulders. Of course that is where the shelter vaccinated Kody!

What sort of heartworm prevention are you going to use? I use the Revolution which is a topical applied to the base of the neck. It can be used on kittens under 6 months of age. At any rate you could take him in and get his shots and get a prescription for the Revolution and wait to put it on him if you want to.

Your kitty is adorable
Sugar was about a year old when he adopted us, and Kody was 2 1/2, so my advice may not be the best, but I try!

Anne

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

Probably most people on here know much more than I know about cats, so I always feel funny replying.

But I do know the breeders always do give some initial shots. I do think it is important to get the first ones and I think it is a series of shots. But after that, having researched it like I have now, I do not think Kody will be getting many more shots. They say even the one year rabies vaccine is probably good for at least 3 years itself. I know this isn't in your question, but I would also ask if they will vaccinate in one of the rear legs (I think that is what I have read) not up by the neck and shoulders. Of course that is where the shelter vaccinated Kody!

What sort of heartworm prevention are you going to use? I use the Revolution which is a topical applied to the base of the neck. It can be used on kittens under 6 months of age. At any rate you could take him in and get his shots and get a prescription for the Revolution and wait to put it on him if you want to.

Your kitty is adorable
Sugar was about a year old when he adopted us, and Kody was 2 1/2, so my advice may not be the best, but I try!

Anne
Thanks your kitties are adorable too
On my clinics website it says that they do not do heartworm testing before 6 months and in order to start a heartworm prevention they say its mandatory have done a heartworm test....I dunno maybe I misunderstood something. But I do plan on using a topical heartworm prevention medicine. I think I will also get him tested for FeLV/FIV when he is 6 months old. I am scared of that, but his mom was indoor and is still well, so I am thinking odds of that are not big...I hope i'm right.

Originally Posted by Nance

Here's an interesting web site on the chance of cats or dogs getting rabies

http://aimees-law.blogspot.com/2008/...og-or-cat.html
It's pointless, I know...especially since he is indoor only, I mean come on unless i have rodents or bats inside which I most definitely do not, the chances are pretty much 0. But what can we do when they make it into a law...
I do not want my kitty to be refused treatment b/c he is not current on a rabies shot if he gets sick or anything like that. I am not worried he will bite anyone because when people come into my house I always put him away in a room unless they are my friends..whom he wouldn't bite and they wouldn't have him qurantined bc they trust me he doesn't have rabies. Same with if he bites me, which he does every single day when we play. He does draw blood sometimes on accident but it's not an issue for me.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKalamata

My cats (totally indoor cats) got a vet checkup today, and the vet said that all cats must get an annual rabies shot. Is that an actual (Ohio?) law or something, does anyone know? I've never heard anything about this before. At any rate, the cats all received a rabies shot.

Ever since the shot, the kitties haven't been eating much and seem tired. The vet did say they might "not be themselves" for the rest of the day. The smallest cat seems the most affected, and the largest seems the least affected. One kitty, who's typically very playful and sweet, does nothing but lie around and actually hissed at me. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?
to answer your initial question I wouldn't be overly concerned. I took my cats in last week for the same thing. Kismet had no reaction, but cello had a bad reaction. He stopped eating, was completely listless and threw up. I was VERY concerned, called the vet, but they said only to be worried if it lasted over 2 days. Your sweet girl probably isn't feeling like herself which is the only reason she hissed at you, it's pretty normal. Don't worry yet!
Good luck, if you are concerned just call your vet at anytime!

edit: I should probably mention cello got back to his old self about 30 hours post shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Imunsie, for the reassurance. The cats' appetites are much better today and they seem pretty much back to normal...so I guess I don't have to worry. I wish the vet would have warned me, though...I ended up throwing out a good can of food, assuming it was bad, because the cats refused to eat it.

And Mews2much, I can't seem to find any local laws about rabies vaccines for cats...
but I assume the vet knows what she's talking about.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

Here's an interesting web site on the chance of cats or dogs getting rabies

http://aimees-law.blogspot.com/2008/...og-or-cat.html
I am currently debating whether Ku Ku should get an annual rabies shot.
We relocated from the mainland(FL) where annual rabies shot was mandatory.
Added to this, rabies shot was one of requirement from Hawaii quarantine since Hawaii is a rabies-free state.
However, once became a resident, it is solely up to each owner's option whether getting his/her cat a rabies shot.
Ku Ku is strictly an indoor cat, therefore I shouldn't be worried if she's getting rabies as long as she's with me.

I personally would not want her to get one anymore but still not too sure of it, though. My vet told me that if I'd travel to the mainland with Ku Ku in the future then Ku Ku should keep up with it - I must say "NEVER" unless I could bring her into a cabin with me which is never a possibility on any flight between the mainland & Hawaii anyways.
My only concern is the rodent. I don't see any running around my home but I once saw Ku Ku caught a mouse...