Bone Density Tests

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While at Costco today, I had a bone density test where I put my heel in a machine. They told me that I had a estimated heel BMD of 0.829 and a T-score of +2.2 compared to a 30 year old.

I know that is a very good score meaning I have a very low risk for getting osteoporosis but I don't know anything else. The tech was surprised because of my age (52) that I had such a good score. I do not take any calcium suppliments but love a good, cold glass of milk now and then. I am thinking it is because I drank so much milk as a child.

Does anyone know what this score means?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A T-score above -1 your bone density is considered normal.
Yours is excellent! I'm middle aged and have an above normal boned density too and just like you were brought up on lots of milk even until late teens. We never had soda in the house. My mom use to make iced tea (suntea) occassionally as I got older. I also have never had a cavity. Starting out eating and drinking healthy makes a HUGE difference! I wonder about kids that get taken to McDonalds for dinner 3 nights a week. Ya have to wonder how healthy those kids will be when they get older eating nothing but fat and drinking sugar. Glad they aren't my kids
I feed my cat much much better than that!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B/c of my Addison's Disease and being on life long steroids (I have been on them daily for 5 years), I have to have a bone density scan every 2 years. I have changed doctors and am way over due for another one. My last results were lumbar:-1.8 and hip:-2.6. So, I have Osteopenia in my spine (which is basically one step below Osteoporosis) and Osteoporosis in my hip.
Your score is great!!
I'm not at all surprised at my results. My grandmother had horrible Osteoporosis, and it doesn't make it any better than I'm pretty thin, so I have to be careful.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should probably get tested, I'm sure since I don't get out in the sun a lot that my vit. D levels are probably lower. I already have arthritis.

My mother was recently checked for osteoporosis - she does have it and has always drank plenty of milk, but I can't think of a single green veggie aside from cucumbers and iceburg lettuce (both are all water) that she will actually eat. Which is too bad, vegetable are a better source for calcium than dairy is.
She's always outside in the sun as much as possible, but her vit. D was low. Her arthritis is in nearly all the same places mine is, only more advanced. She's only 45.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please bear in mind that bone density can vary hugely from one part of the body to another, so testing your heel alone may or may not mean anything. You're at an age (and so am I) where you really should have a complete bone density scan... because it's the spine, hips, and knees that are really critical.

My mom has extremely severe osteoporosis. Her spinal column is so badly deteriorated that it shows up on x-rays as only a faint ghost image. If she ever breaks anything, it will be very difficult for her to heal... and 50% of women her age who break a hip are dead within a year.

Osteoporosis is serious stuff, and I think it's irresponsible for these traveling "clinics" to test one small part of a person's body and claim that it really means much. They may be sending people away with a false sense of security that will keep them from seeking the thorough test they deserve until a lot of bone has already been lost.

So I'm happy that your result was so good, but I really want to encourage you to get a proper bone density test, to be sure you really are in good shape all over.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Please bear in mind that bone density can vary hugely from one part of the body to another, so testing your heel alone may or may not mean anything. You're at an age (and so am I) where you really should have a complete bone density scan... because it's the spine, hips, and knees that are really critical.

My mom has extremely severe osteoporosis. Her spinal column is so badly deteriorated that it shows up on x-rays as only a faint ghost image. If she ever breaks anything, it will be very difficult for her to heal... and 50% of women her age who break a hip are dead within a year.

Osteoporosis is serious stuff, and I think it's irresponsible for these traveling "clinics" to test one small part of a person's body and claim that it really means much. They may be sending people away with a false sense of security that will keep them from seeking the thorough test they deserve until a lot of bone has already been lost.

So I'm happy that your result was so good, but I really want to encourage you to get a proper bone density test, to be sure you really are in good shape all over.
I agree with you. I have never heard of testing a heel for bone density. The spine, hip, and knees are usually what they test. At least when I had my test done, it took a long time with what seemed like a million scans.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

B/c of my Addison's Disease and being on life long steroids (I have been on them daily for 5 years), I have to have a bone density scan every 2 years. I have changed doctors and am way over due for another one. My last results were lumbar:-1.8 and hip:-2.6. So, I have Osteopenia in my spine (which is basically one step below Osteoporosis) and Osteoporosis in my hip.
Your score is great!!
I'm not at all surprised at my results. My grandmother had horrible Osteoporosis, and it doesn't make it any better than I'm pretty thin, so I have to be careful.
When I had my bone density test, I was told the same thing as you.

I am also very small, and my doctor told me that women who are white, small, and who smoke are more likely to get that than others. He also told me that drinking milk has nothing to do with it. I am 53 years old and I have drank milk my entire life. He told me that a heavy person had better bones than me because they had to have better bones to carry their weight around.