My cat drinks from the toilet?

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my little boy apparentally likes to drink from the toilet. My roomate mentioned it to me once but I've never really seen it myself, then last night I saw it myself. And not only did he go for the toilet once, but twice!

I make sure his water bowl is clean and fresh with water daily. He also has a waterer so it'll refill itself with fresh water as soon as he drinks some. So I don't really understand!

I wanted to teach him to use the toilet as his litterbox, not his water dish! Anyone have any advice on what to do? I'm so confused with a cat drinking from the toilet!

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Put the toilet seat lid down

We had a toilet drinker too but he only would do it if we forgot to put the toilet seat lid down.

And if you have a crafty one who learns to lift the toilet seat lid then just get a heavier lid
We had to get a one in our old place because he figured out how to lift the lid. In our new house the lid is pretty light but we have broken him of the habit and he never even tries now.

Edit: Missed the part where you said you wanted to teach him to use the toilet. If that's the case you might have to just work with him and try to discourage the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will his drinking interest create a problem with the ability to train him to use the toilet?

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could. Most cats will not eliminate where they eat and drink and if he is thinking the toilet is a tasty watering hole, he may not want to poop there.

My kittens when they were still in the closed room phase would not drink out of one of the water bowls that was too close to their litter box. They only started drinking out of it when I moved it across the room.

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of mine was a toilet drinker. I started by just trying to remember to always leave the lid down, but she was quick to notice if I messed up. I eventually got a pet fountain and that has been such a favorite place to drink every since that no one has looked at any other liquid sources since, including the old water bowl that I still leave out near the food. The pet foundtain is in the bathroom where I used to have a second water bowl, which just wasn't as good as the toilet.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat was always doing that.
When I first got Ku Ku, it was the first thing I always reminded myself & to whoever visited home - to keep the toilet-lid down, all the time.

One time, I accidentally left it open when she was in the bathroom while I was cleaning the toilet bowl. I dunno how & why but she suddenly jumped on it. Since she likes to sit on the lid & nap occasionally, I guess she assumed the lid was down, but was NOT. Sooo...she not only fallen into the toilet bowl, she got soaking wet and made a big splash around. Luckily it was AFTER I finished off cleaning it, though...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunskitten

Will his drinking interest create a problem with the ability to train him to use the toilet?
Probably. I've always thought the idea of toilet training a cat is novel but impractical. What if kitty falls into the toilet and can't get back out? I'd close the lid and stick to a litter box.

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have to keep the toilette lid down. If not that, close the bathroom doors when we're not in there.

Girlie never drank from the toilette but she used to like watching the water flush away and we had to stop her a few times from trying to jump in! If she manages to sneak into the bathroom while we're scooping the litter box she'll watch and try to play with the water.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to keep the lid down or Mulder will be in there immediately.

I doubt you will be able to toilet train him if he wants to drink out of the toilet.