TOTW or Chicken Soup?

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to be switching my cats and I can get a good deal on either of these foods. I'm wondering which one would be considered better? I'm also curious as to the ingredient list of the TOTW. Peas and sweet potatoes are 2nd and 3rd on the list. Isn't that really high on the ingredient list?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that is but it is how they make grain frees for the most part ... high in some starch which peas and potatos are ...

IMHO I prefer those to five grains in one food ...

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dogs and cats both eat a combo of TOTW and raw. Doing great. FWIW, one of my dogs developed a bleeding ulcer on Chicken Soup dog. I gave the remaining bag of food (because she refused it) to my mom (not making the connection) and her elderly dog promptly got sick as well. I did report it to the place where I bought the food, but not sure if it's a company wide problem or an isolated incident.

Cally

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kody eats 1/2 raw and 1/2 Taste of the Wild. He absolutely LOVES it! It is made by the same company that makes Chicken Soup, but it is the grain free. He came from the breeder eating raw and the Chicken Soup, but it got to where he wouldn't eat CS. I tried just about every grain-free available and TOTW is the only one he likes.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have fed both.
MY cat likes both. However, I noticed with the Chicken soup,
she scratches around her head, allegergy to something.
I am currently using the TOTW now for about 1 1/2 months
and her fur looks better, less dandruff and the furnace
is running non stop here.
I like the TOTW. Call manufacturer and ask for samples
being mailed to you, that is what I did since I had to order from
my local pet store on a Special order since they only put the dog
food on the shelf, Grrrr. I wanted to make sure my cat would eat
before making a purchase. My cat does not care for some of the
grain free.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats and dogs are all eating TOTW. The cats' fur is like velvet, and one of them is 19 years old and doing amazingly.

hesster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Between the two, I think TotW is the better food. I had to stop using it though, because Willow wouldn't eat it, and it gave Gizmo the most awful smelling loose stools.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have serious reservations when I see potatos in catfood. I feed my guys the food off of the diabetic cat list. I already had two come down with FD. One died, and Goofy is controlled by diet, no insulin. I stay away from carbs in food. Hard to find much out there however, I have been giving them EVO Ancestral Diet. Any thoughts on EVO?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I have serious reservations when I see potatos in catfood. I feed my guys the food off of the diabetic cat list. I already had two come down with FD. One died, and Goofy is controlled by diet, no insulin. I stay away from carbs in food. Hard to find much out there however, I have been giving them EVO Ancestral Diet. Any thoughts on EVO?
Evo is a good food , I have five cats and only ONE can handle it .The average is 50 do well and 50 go to another food quickly.. FYI it too has considerable potato amounts with out the benefits of high amounts of sweet potato s

to the OP ... sweet potato are Excellent , highly highly recommended by my vet with a animal nutrition degree and the oriental medicine vet ... regular potatos are what concerns me a touch , ie the potato protein ( what is it

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sharky, I don't see potatos listed on ingredients in evo 95%. Just chicken, chicken broth, turkey, natural flavor then a bunch of vitamins and minerals and all sorts of supplements. I sure hope there isn't any potatos or I'll have to start all over again and search for the best food. Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Hi Sharky, I don't see potatos listed on ingredients in evo 95%. Just chicken, chicken broth, turkey, natural flavor then a bunch of vitamins and minerals and all sorts of supplements. I sure hope there isn't any potatos or I'll have to start all over again and search for the best food. Thanks
Um communication error
... the dry has potato as does the evo not 95% ... the 95% meats are meat and gums with vitamins

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could have sworn I already replied to this but my computer must have messed up. Thank you very much for the replies

I'm trying my hardest to learn about cat nutrition but it just seems there is so much different information out there its hard to figure out what is what. I'm going to go with the TOTW and maybe get some Chicken soup wet food and see if they like it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats would eat Chicken Soup, but they both absolutely love TOTW. I don't feed them that as their total diet, it's just a little mixed with Cal Natural for evening, and along with wet food. I also give it to them sometimes as a treat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat Chicken Soup. They do well on it. I'd like to switch to TOTW but the cost is not possible with 10 cats
. If I had fewer cats I'd use it instead. It's a really great food.