Cleo will be 8 months if I go to the cat show in April

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she will be 8 months or older on the day of the first show - she will be in the alter class - not the kitten class.

I have seen it were the cat is a kitten on Saturday and an adult on Sunday!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the show doesn't fall on the 6th - then yes she would still be a kitten - be very sure of the dates (birth and show).

Charlie went to one show as a kitten and 2 days after the show turned 8 months - so he was a kitten in the show

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mons just turned 8 months on the 15th, but he still looks like he belongs in the kitten class! He's only 4.2 pounds. The vet doubts that he'll be more than 7 pounds as an adult (he could be much smaller).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington, that may be true, but little 4 month old Jack beat out the 7 month old Silver Oci at the show 4 times!

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
don't worry. I'm going through the same thoughts with Mons except he's a household pet. I'm not sure how he will size up against the competition. He's so small, he may get eaten by the competition in more ways than one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Cleos breeder should be at the show your going to.
The breeder that said she will help me will not be at the show I plan on putting Cleo in.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope Cleo does ok but I was told she may not do well.
were you also told why not?

Good luck!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phone or e-mail the show secretary to double check whether she should be in the kitten or adult class, if there is any doubt (adult class is 9 months here for some registries, 8 for others, which is why I can't say for sure and why you should ask them direct)

And no that is not too old to start showing, it's still a good young age when they are naturally outgoing and bold and not too set in their routine.

How do you feel about being told she might not do well? I was encouraged to show Sonic by his breeder because there are so few blue orientals in shows here and she would have quite like a blue cat from her cattery on the showbench - but then I had him from 13 weeks, watched him grow, and could see his (show) failings, and would have felt mortified putting him in a show and having a judge tell me his ear set wasn't great as if I couldn't see that for myself LOL.

I can't advise as to whether you should show - different registries work in different way, here in GCCF there are no points awarded ever, you either get BOB/Final and then are awarded a certificate by the judge which counts towards Ch/GCh, or that certificate is withheld - if you don't get it on your first run, you may as well give up at that point - but in some registries they are more forgiving and you can rack up points over a number of shows to get a title. I'd say it depends whether showing is something that you would enjoy as a hobby, if so, and if your cat enjoys it, then go for it. If not, it's not the end of the world

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on going to a few shows with Cleo.
Her breeder is a Tica judge so he knows what he is talking about.
I do plan on getting a cat that i can show later on for sure.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are show cats and then, there are SHOW cats.

What your breeder probably meant is that she is show-able, and not of pet quality. But in a cat show it is always the TOP 10 cats that will final.

Let me put it this way - there are Champions, Grand Champions and then, there are the Best of the Best.

An easy example would be like this - look at my last litter...

All 3 cats are of show quality. At an early age both Tom and Tink proved to be the better of the 3 cats - as proven in shows. Spot had the problem with her Spot. As of right now, and I hope I am correct, Spot and Tom are Grand-able as Grand Champions (entires) but Tink has developed a slight jaw problem that has made me think that she is only showable as a Premiership cat and yes, she will Grand there too.

However, none of the 3 IMO are of Division Winner quality (ie. Top show like my Bulan or my Suria). A top show cat is one that finals at a minimum 6 out of 8 rings or in a 4 ring show, 4 out of 4 rings.

Be not dismayed - that is the nature of cat shows. As a breeder, I am frightfully honest with my new show homes. I will tell the new owners that the cat is Grand-able but it may take some time or I will tell them that the cat should be granded in no more than 3 shows.

If your breeder has said that she IS showable, then trust him on that. It means that the possibility of at least 1 final is there. But in the end, to me, even a Breed Win over a large breed class is pretty damned good!