Ick! (gross out warning)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend at work went to a fish fry at lunch and brought back some fish...and some turtle. The fish was good, but I just couldn't bring myself to try the turtle. The pieces were just too easy to identify...a foot that looked like a foot, a tail. I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater and I know turtle can't taste any worse than caviar, but still, ick!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
turtle is not something I will try either. My dad loves it, expecially turtle soup. I'll pass.

James once had a snake taco.. now that's just..

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried it... At the time it tasted pretty good.... Today I would NOT eat it again... Big time Ewwwww

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way would I eat turtle. I'd probably run a person off if they even tried to sit next to me and eat turtle.
I have several pet turtles, 9 of which I've had from the day they hatched. I adore them immensely, and love turtles in general - it would be akin to eating a cat...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i would try it - except i've given up trying things that are water dwellers... so far, i'm allergic to all of them.
that's why i haven't tried alligator - figured it was too close to chicken & fish [which the people eating it said it tasted like].

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't say you don't like something until you have actually tried it.

When I was younger I probably would have gone "EWWEE" too, but now I'd probably try it. The worse that will happen is that I wouldn't like it. It's just another food source, not really any different than eating fish, or chicken or even beef or pork.

The first time I tried Lobster I was mortified! I refused to try it for years because of the "ick" factor involved. However, I found that I absolutely loved it and occasionally still eat it (too pricey!).

I enjoy many foods today that I was "afraid" to try at one time. For example, my friend is from Guyana and makes the most wonderful foods. One time she made something called "Pepper Pot" (sort of like a stew made completely from meat stew). I absolutely loved it. She wouldn't tell me how to make it. One time she even said that if she told me what was in it I probably wouldn't eat it.

I went to the library years later after having had Pepper Pot dozens of times at her house. I found a recipe. It had pigs feet, pork hawks and ox tail in it. She's right, had I known it had that stuff in it I wouldn't have eaten it. But because I had eaten it and loved it, I was fine with the ingredients and I still make that dish today. In fact now that I remembered about it I think I'll make it on my next days off.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You can't say you don't like something until you have actually tried it.

When I was younger I probably would have gone "EWWEE" too, but now I'd probably try it. The worse that will happen is that I wouldn't like it. It's just another food source, not really any different than eating fish, or chicken or even beef or pork.

The first time I tried Lobster I was mortified! I refused to try it for years because of the "ick" factor involved. However, I found that I absolutely loved it and occasionally still eat it (too pricey!).

I enjoy many foods today that I was "afraid" to try at one time. For example, my friend is from Guyana and makes the most wonderful foods. One time she made something called "Pepper Pot" (sort of like a stew made completely from meat stew). I absolutely loved it. She wouldn't tell me how to make it. One time she even said that if she told me what was in it I probably wouldn't eat it.

I went to the library years later after having had Pepper Pot dozens of times at her house. I found a recipe. It had pigs feet, pork hawks and ox tail in it. She's right, had I known it had that stuff in it I wouldn't have eaten it. But because I had eaten it and loved it, I was fine with the ingredients and I still make that dish today. In fact now that I remembered about it I think I'll make it on my next days off.
Growing up on a farm we wasted nothing. My mom used the pork hocks and feet to make headcheese. We ate the heart and liver of the animals we raised for meat. My aunt often made ox tail soup. Nothing was wasted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it had been in McNugget form, I might have managed to try it. Those parts were just too graphic for me. That little foot looked like you could put a shoe on it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with you. I had box turtles for pets and would never think of eating one!

But I have had fried pieces of alligator - that was good.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just cant bring myself to eat something that's a reptile or fish.

I prefer warm-blooded animals to eat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't eat it because to me they are pets. Lobster and Crayfish are huge markets here and my family grew up eating one Crayfish a week but to me I couldn't eat them. When they used to be boiled alive I swear I could hear them crying.

I've tried goat, and that's as far as I'll go on the adventure scale.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the food doesn't resemble the actual animal or fish I can eat it. For instance, I don't like seeing a cooked fish on a plate staring back at me. I don't know how people eat things like tarantula, grasshoppers or real exotic dishes. I'm sure lots of it taste great but for me, taste and presentation kinda go along together. Turns my stomach just thinking about it some of it

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

turtle is not something I will try either. My dad loves it, expecially turtle soup. I'll pass.

James once had a snake taco.. now that's just..
When snake is cooked and shredded in sauce, it looks and tastes like chicken, I have had it before and it is delicious

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

When snake is cooked and shredded in sauce, it looks and tastes like chicken, I have had it before and it is delicious
I had a close call with a fire stemming from a heat tape under one of my snakes. Once things were safe and taken care of, we laughed the incident off by saying " we almost had baked snake for supper". He's a big boy, would have been plenty.

In reality, I wouldn't eat snake either.

The most exotic thing I've tried was octopus when I spent a summer in Portugal. I didn't like it.... taste did nothing for me, and the texture was too chewy/rubbery.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

If the food doesn't resemble the actual animal or fish I can eat it. For instance, I don't like seeing a cooked fish on a plate staring back at me. I don't know how people eat things like tarantula, grasshoppers or real exotic dishes. I'm sure lots of it taste great but for me, taste and presentation kinda go along together. Turns my stomach just thinking about it some of it
I agree completely!! I can eat calamari as long as it it is cooked and only the meat part.... I am a picky eater!!

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScottF

He didnt know he was eating snake until afterwards.. he was having lunch with a co-worker, and the co-worker offered him the taco. He asked James afterwards how he liked it.. James said it was pretty good.. and that's when the co-worker told him it was snake.

My ex-father in law always talked about rattlesnake soup.. apparantly its pretty expensive.. about $25 for a little can, and it only has a small peice of meat in it. Me and my ex-husband were out on the road (he drives semi).. and while he was walking our husky mix, she had found a rattler and killed it (dont know how she did it without being bit, I didnt witness it). His dad told him he should have brought the dead snake home so he could have some rattler soup!