any other musicians out there?

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i was just wondering if there were any other musicians on here, and if so....

what do you play?
amatuer/bedroom/professional/ what level are you at?
what style do you play in?

and any other little bits of info you may like to share? maybe a pic too?

i play guitar, sing a little, (can also play drums) and im in a band, just a 3 piece with my brother on bass and also singing, and a guy we met on drums. we play hendrix and stevie ray vaughn stuff, buddy guy bb king etc etc.

now your turn.......

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My instruments are piano, organ, and voice. On a professional level I teach piano and voice lessons. I occasionally play the piano to entertain for a local dude ranch and some of the local organizations. That's mostly seasonal (e.g. Christmas) or something like ragtime or show tunes. I'm also church organist which is a lot of classical music (Bach, Handel, Pachelbel, etc.) and hymn tunes.

For volunteer work I accompany the middle school and high school choirs for their concerts. One of the most fun things I do is provide the music for our Melodrama every year. Gold Rush Days is a huge 3-day event every February and we perform a melodrama each evening as a part of it. It's usually little snippets of show tunes or cowboy songs, something to match each character or the action in the play. Too bad it's just a keyboard and not a theater organ.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I played the oboe for years, but havnt had access to one for about 4 years now so have no idea if I can still play that. In my oboe days, I also learned quite a bit of flute, as many of the fingerings are the same, and a playable amount of clarinet, as my sister owns one and plays well.
Ive been playing guitar about 10 years, but only have my 12 string acoustic out in Edmonton with me (my electric and 6 string acoustic are back in Ontario...Im shipping-phobic). As a result, Ive gotten much better at barre chords, and much worse at any type of lead playing. Im ok with this, as I prefer to play and sing at the same time, which gets harder the more difficult the fingering gets for me. I snapped my high G string last week, so need a restringing for sure...I like to play alternative and classic rock, with some folk and country mixed in.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guitar, piano, and vocals. I used to do jingles and other custom music commercially... sure miss that. There's nothing in the world more thoroughly fulfilling (to me) than making music!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im the same as Carol, guitar, paino and vocals. Nothing professional though, just socially. My family is very musical. My Mother was actually leader of a band when she was younger.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im a DJ, just not as active as i used to be, i mostly spin UK hard house and other hard thumpy stuff. ive actually spun at some pretty decent clubs in the US. let me see if i can dig up a pic.

heres me tagging with BF, hes getting ready to mix into my next track:

me spinning at GLOW, washington DC:

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

what do you play?
amatuer/bedroom/professional/ what level are you at?
what style do you play in?
instrument-wise, i play piano - but that's mainly for practicing, etc. i don't play well enought anymore to play in a band or anything.
primarily, i'm a vocalist. i've sung professionally [i.e. got paid] but i'm mostly in it for the fun. i've sung in various styles - country, standards, blues, jazz, classical, show tunes - i'm not picky, altho i'm also not really trained to sing opera level classical.
i've been in many musicals w/my local community musical theatre group. when i'm not cast, i usually work on the crew. i'm currently in rehearsals for Company, which opens this friday - i'm running the light board.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently picked the guitar back up. I've been learning a lot of scales and bits and pieces of songs.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My hubby is a bass player. He currently plays part-time (mostly weekends) with a couple different bands but one in particular which does mostly private parties. He was a full-time musician when we met and for several years after our daughter was born. Then, since he didn't want to travel and leave us home, he started only doing it part-time.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Ive been playing guitar about 10 years, but only have my 12 string acoustic out in Edmonton with me. As a result, Ive gotten much better at barre chords, and much worse at any type of lead playing. Im ok with this, as I prefer to play and sing at the same time, which gets harder the more difficult the fingering gets for me. I snapped my high G string last week, so need a restringing for sure...I like to play alternative and classic rock, with some folk and country mixed in.
Do you tune to standard tuning, or down a tone or half tone on the 12-string?

When it comes to playing my guitars, I'm pretty good at set up, buying and selling! I have about 9 or 10 guitars right now.

Yes, I can plunk on them a little. But not touching a guitar for most of 25 years didn't improve me at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
omg! arnt we a talented lot!

i think we should form a cross-atlantic band doing funk-house-blues-opera-jazz-country-classical. im sure it would be interesting (a right racket!)

good to see some folks out there who are creative, i was particularly suprised by "cats4sky" on the wheels of steel though! faip play, my cousins are dj's and i have been known to have a go myself after one of them tought me how the mixer works, takes a bit of getting used to to beat match (in regard to speed) but i do prefer electro and old skool uk garage.

good work fellow cat owners/musicians keep it up!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was it you was talking about visiting in the U.S? I mentioned a musician friend I have in Memphis...

I have a video here somewhere of him and his brothers playing at one of our hot rod events. If I find it, would you like me to send it to you? I'm not sure it's on youtube, since it was a free performance of "Texas Flood."

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Was it you was talking about visiting in the U.S? I mentioned a musician friend I have in Memphis...

I have a video here somewhere of him and his brothers playing at one of our hot rod events. If I find it, would you like me to send it to you? I'm not sure it's on youtube, since it was a free performance of "Texas Flood."
yes indeedy it was me who mentioned the trip to the USA, will happening asap!

yeah that would be great if you could send me that vid... "its flooding down in texas, all the telephone lines are down" etc etc

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do the "music thing" as a living. I have my own company that composes music for video games, film, TV and multi-media. My husband started working with my company a few years ago when we moved to Texas. He's a great guitar player.

Even the cats help.
We had a recording of Forrest making his aggressive "chuffing" sound and I just today used it on a piece that will be distributed world wide. It sounded a little bit like a percussive instrument - so I used it as one. You'd never know it was a cat...but I do.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a professional musican.

I play flute piccolo and paino and I teach all 3. I also conduct a symphony orchestra (chamber sized) as well as freelancing gigs such as weddings, funerals, and show pits.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of trying to learn Dance of Death by Iron Maiden. The rhythm isn't bad but it's going to take me a while to learn the leads and solos and a lot of practice to do them at tempo. I like a challenge.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
jezmondo,
I love electro too. BF spins that. I havent spun out latley cause all people wanna hear is house and trance. wich i like to dance to but its not fun to spin. I was actually thinking of starting to spin electro, i like the real dark grimey electro, deadmau5 is my fave electro producer.
when i started spinning it took me about 6 months to get the beat matchin and mixing down enough to get my 1st gig. i spun for a good 5-6 yrs and got really good at mixing and beat matching. i also love my vinyl. im not really fond of cd tables but i have no choice but to get used to it. thats all people use anymore.

also do you live in england?i i came to london a few years ago and travelled to liverpool for Creamfields 2003. Its a big music festival they have there every year

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Music is basically my life (aside from cats of course). I've been involved with music in some way or another for the last 20 years of my life (I'm 23 years old now). When I was 3, I started taking piano lessons and did that for 9 years. When I was 10 I joined my school band and played clarinet and saxophone. When I was 14 I started teaching myself drums. Then at 16 I started teaching myself guitar and a bit of bass. When I was 18 I started teaching guitar and have been doing it part time since then. I can also sing and have sung at an amateur level for almost 10 years.

The style I play I guess you could call progressive metal, but really I play just about everything. The songs I play/write all have elements of many different styles of music. It's the same type of music that bands like Dream Theater, Rush, Queensryche, Meshuggah, etc. play.

If you want a sample, here is Dream Theater's song Voices.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cats4sky
same here, i love electro like that as it uses some really weird sounds, there are quite a few tracks i like just for maybe 2 seconds in it where there will be a great sound that i just cant get enough of, if that makes any sense? yeah im in england by the way, i know all about creamfields, liverpool is a great place to go anyway, i love to see the cultural differences that you dont seem to see elsewhere.

TigerOnTheProwl
thanks for the link sounds real good i like it, not my usual kinda thing, but cool

Essayons89
again not my kinda thing, but if you nail that then your not doing bad at all!

AudioCat
now that does sound interesting, i would love to hear this sound your talking about, but more importantly to hear it in use, sounds like my kinda thing, i have used a sample of a kettle boiling before, not the whistle bit but the deep bubblingh sound from the bottom as it almost boiling. i looped that into a small section on this rubbish garage track that i recorded, the track was pants, but the sound was mega!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I play the bassoon in a symphony orchestra. I also play in a chamber group - a double woodwind quintet.

I also have played piano, violin, flute, oboe, guitar, bass, sax, marching french horn (fun!!!), and currently am trying to learn to play the banjo. That one has got to be the hardest!!!