multicat household, one started wandering..

scarlysid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I have a multi cat household. They are all rescues. Up until now I have been fine, I have always been very cautious when introducing new cats, done it very gradually, had no real problem, they all get along fine, or at worst tolerate eachother, or have plenty of space to please themselves if they fell they prefer to avoid. I have several catflaps to avoid any confrontation, they are allowed the full run of the house, I had a huge loft extension and a very large conservatory built for the cats, I am lucky that i live in a large house, with outbuildings, cat shed, and stable. Mostly the cats stay in, preferring to snooze in the conservatory. They have plenty of bowls, several litter trays, cat beds, plenty of places.

Lately I had a problem with one tom. (all cats are spayed/neutered) The newest cat, benjy, a gentle giant. Oscar, the dominant male, and chester a young tom, both disliked benjy, for reasons best known to themselves, but this was not the case in the beginning. I don't know what could have occured out of sight. Benjy ended up five miles away, but luckily I got him back. I kept him in as I didnt know whether he'd been deliberately taken (mischevius night) or whether he got in some car? he's very friendly. He started coming out and being supervised. I have i.d. on him but am afraid he might go astray, or even that oscar or chester have made him feel uncomfortable.

I intend to use the wet towel method I have just read on here. which I didn't know about and 'oh my cat' perfume, read on here too. They seem excellent ideas.

I have an outdoor pen, but don't use it now I had it specially built!! because i don't like to feel i am imprisoning them...

For once I am at a bit of a loss here!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Welcome to TCS. I personally would either keep him inside, especially since the house is a good size, or if the outdoor pen is big enough let him out there. He may feel more secure being in there if the others, Oscar and Chester are not in there. Its kind of a difficult situation. I'm sure others with more experience with this situation will be along shortly. Good luck.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How new is he? Even for those who do let their cats out, it's a good idea not to let new cats out unsupervised as they simply won't know the area very well. Chances are Benjy doesn't know and recognize the area yet, got lost, or was even trying to go back to where he was before that time he ended up so far away. The urge to roam may also be something leftover from before you got him.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd not heard of that perfume, so i looked it up - it's a perfume for cats? weird... anyway, i've used vanilla [base of the tail, back of the neck] to make mine all smell alike when a new cat comes in. i also use a feliway diffuser - i have a small house, so only need one. initially, it would be quite expensive for a large house, since each diffuser is supposed to cover 600 sq.ft. you might also try adding rescue remedy to their water. you can usually find both at pet stores if you don't want to order online.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would follow the methods on introducing cats and go slowly. You would be re-introducing them. Maybe that way whatever started the behavior might be resolved by starting over. Especially now that he went miles away he will smell different.

After re-introducing it sounds like you have plenty of room to allow them to work it out amongst themselves, provided no blood is drawn in the process.

Feliway (comes in a spray or plug in) may be helpful and putting Rescue Remedy in the water bowls might help.

After all of this he may do better keeping him from "roaming" seeing how you have an enclosure for them to enjoy. Every time he goes out he brings new scents back and the others might not "like him" anymore because he does not smell right.

Good luck.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

How new is he? Even for those who do let their cats out, it's a good idea not to let new cats out unsupervised as they simply won't know the area very well. Chances are Benjy doesn't know and recognize the area yet, got lost, or was even trying to go back to where he was before that time he ended up so far away. The urge to roam may also be something leftover from before you got him.
I agree. I let my cats out. The newcomers are kept in an enclosed area where they can acquaint themselves with the scents of the resident cats and viceversa. I do not think Benjy was kicked out by the others. I've had cats badly bullied but they never left the property. Once they are familiar with the territory they will find a safe haven within for them to go to when they need it.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After putting all that time and money into such a great space for your animals, why do you let them outside? You are not confining them. They don't need to roam. Outside runs are wonderful. In my travels, I see dead cats on the side of the road. Please don't let that happen to your precious friends!