Question Of The Day, Wednesday February 18th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Morning!
Here's today's Question Of The Day!

Do you have a favorite cheese?

We have a little cheese shoppe in town, called "The Mouse House Cheese Shoppe." They import unusual cheeses and wines from all over the world. I've been visiting there and trying out different cheeses and some new wines.
One cheese which I've taken a liking to is MIZITHRA CHEESE, which is a sheep milk cheese, made in Greece. The first time I tried it was in a cheese sauce with butter, on angel hair pasta, at The Old Spaghetti Factory. Since then, I've made it myself a couple of times. Yummy!

Another that I've become extremely fond of is MANCHEGO CHEESE, which is another sheep milk cheese, made in Spain. It's creamy and mild, oh so yummy!

Lately, my one of my favorite cheeses is Vermont Sharp White Cheddar. It's very good with spicy chili!

Oh yes, I'm a cheese lover. Cheese is definitely a 'quality of life' issue!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cheese but I'm pretty basic about what I like. Cheddar, parmesan, provolone, swiss, etc.

I don't like the soft cheeses like feta, gouda, etc.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living in "Cheesehead" land well there sseems to be cheese everywhere!!

The place we get lots of cheese from is "Simon's Cheese" in Little Chute,WI.
The Extra Fresh Cheddar is great-its a very very young cheddar. I like the smoked mozarella string cheese too (its salty).

I like a dryer style Colby Cheese too.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I
cheese!!!

I don't think I have a favorite. Except for sandwiches my favorite is hands down provolone. Other than that, I'm open to all kinds!

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let's see.....I use sharp cheddar the most followed by plain feta. I love grilled cheese sandwiches made with Swiss cheese on Jewish ryebread w/ mayo amd sometimes I add dill pickle... Gorgonzola and roasted garlic on a hamburger... Parmesan, grated from a block, over pasta... I, also love brie and.......actually I love most cheeses!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I

mmmm. the only ones I'm not fussy on are the old sharp cheeses.

My fav? Havarati or Gouda

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My all time favourite has to be St. Andre. I just bought some the other night and am waiting to share it with DD tonight. Hubby is playing at one of the local inns tonight so DD and I are having a girl's night in.

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hay GailC have you ever found the fudge cheese one the the farms out here makes? It is soo good even though it has nuts in it. I also love jarlsberg (hope I spelled that right) Gouda, Havarti and chedder Now that I think about it I love most cheeeses.. just not those really soft, washed rind, smelly cheeses that taste awfull. I had one the other day tasted like mushrooms and dirt.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Do you have a favorite cheese?
Saying cheddar is like saying vanilla for ice cream. However, the kind of cheddar I like (and Persi) is well, well, aged white cheddar. I currently have some 3 year old white Canadian meant to be served at room temperature. WOW!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I love marble jack cheddar cheese, provolone, and mild cheddar cheese.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Impossible to choose a favourite. I love all cheese, and what is favourite at any time is totally dictated by mood and how it's to be served. If I had to choose one and never have another again, though, it would be cheddar, hands down -- and Lee is right about cheddar -- it is to cheese as vanilla is to ice cream, and just like ice cream there is cheddar and then there is cheddar. I'll take an old (the older the better) white cheddar from Ontario or Quebec over any other.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Impossible to choose a favourite. I love all cheese, and what is favourite at any time is totally dictated by mood and how it's to be served. If I had to choose one and never have another again, though, it would be cheddar, hands down -- and Lee is right about cheddar -- it is to cheese as vanilla is to ice cream, and just like ice cream there is cheddar and then there is cheddar. I'll take an old (the older the better) white cheddar from Ontario or Quebec over any other.
Oh yeah! Haagen Das vanilla is like no other vanilla.

Back on topic - it's hard to beat a good cheddar. My hubby is very very fond of the Quebec Oka.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Oh yeah! Haagen Das vanilla is like no other vanilla.

Back on topic - it's hard to beat a good cheddar. My hubby is very very fond of the Quebec Oka.
Yeah, see, that's definitely one of the ones that's clamouring to dethrone cheddar!

[I knew the comparison would not escape you, Linda!
]