what cat food to feed my cats...

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
right now i have my 8mo old kitty on dry purina one kitten food, id like to switch her to wet food.

My adult cats i feed friskies wet food.

after reading here i do see that the store name brands arent the best so i have some questions

1. what are the best store brand wet cat foods/kitten foods

2. what are some of the better wet foods to feed my cats, esp my oldest has had problems with urinary crystals and also has some tiny bladder stones, so i dont want to feed him somthing that will make those stones get bigger. i have pet supplies plus, a petsmart, and i think a petco, so what are some moderately priced better wet foods i can get for my cats? im kinda on a tight budget so let me know what would be the best for a lower price range.

thank you!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food is generally speaking going to be more $$. Canned food is better for UTI health. Most urinary foods, from what I can find, are lower end (Friskies, Pro Plan, Science Diet, etc).

Here is a good/long thread to read.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you have kitten and adult (like me) why not switch to an all life stage food? Might be a little more $, but you could feed them altogether and not switch them yet again. It is much better for them than store brand foods IMO.

Mine eat Innova EVO dry food, and a cuple of different wet foods.

Im sure youll find one the cats like, but it might take some trial and error

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wet food is OVERALL better for UTIs ... Nutro and Authority have some good not so pricey wets that are decent to good for UTI health ... and fine to feed the younger one ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

wet food is OVERALL better for UTIs ... Nutro and Authority have some good not so pricey wets that are decent to good for UTI health ... and fine to feed the younger one ...
thank you, im going to look for that at pet supplies plus and pet smart.

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Canned food is generally speaking going to be more $$. Canned food is better for UTI health. Most urinary foods, from what I can find, are lower end (Friskies, Pro Plan, Science Diet, etc).

Here is a good/long thread to read.
thanks, i did some reading thru that thread and got some ideas as well

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I vote for Nutro Max wet food. Both my kitties like it (one is 8 years old and one is 9 months old). I get some kitten formulas and some adult formulas and rotate them. I also feed an all-life stages dry food. Recently, Petco had the small cans of Nutro on sale 10 for $6.

Good luck!

Candace

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

I vote for Nutro Max wet food. Both my kitties like it (one is 8 years old and one is 9 months old). I get some kitten formulas and some adult formulas and rotate them. I also feed an all-life stages dry food. Recently, Petco had the small cans of Nutro on sale 10 for $6.

Good luck!

Candace
now would it be ok to alternate from the good brands and store brands, like 1 day good food, next day friskies? only because cash it tight right now

alpine'smom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cats4sky

now would it be ok to alternate from the good brands and store brands, like 1 day good food, next day friskies? only because cash it tight right now
I do this with wet food!

Since any wet is better than dry, even the lower quality (like Friskies) is good to utilize. I rotate between a bunch of different wets, anything from Wellness grain-free flavors, to Natural Balance, to Eagle Pack, to Nutro, to Friskies. I just stick to non-fish varieties of them all. Alpine seems to like the variation, but I know some cats are a little pickier.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can, stick to foods that have no grains, no fruits or vegetables, and no fish. Cats don't need and can't easily process the first three and fish can sometimes contribute to urinary tract problems, especially in male cats and cats prone to UTI's.

Some foods to chose from: any of the Evo flavors, any of the Natures Variety Instinct flavors, the Wellness Core, Beef&Chicken, Chicken, and Turkey flavors, Go! Natural (only one that I know of does NOT have veggies or fish), and By Nature. There are more, I'm sure, but I can't think of them right now.

You can go to Pet Food Direct and review the ingredients of many, many flavors.

Or, you could go raw and save yourself a TON of money.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the great suggestions, i think im going to check out some of the pet stores this weekend

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet cat food is the best you can do for your pet. No grains, vegies, fruit or fish. Your animals need meat because they are carnivores. Please do not buy into the idea that the pet food companies try to sell which is that your cat craves grains and vegies. If your cat has urinary problems, dry food is not the way to go. Actually, no cat should have dry food. I believe that any cat that is fed only dry, will always be dehydrated to a degree. They need the moisture from the wet food. I fed my cats all dry, and lost one to diabetes, because the vet never told me to take him off dry. I just had another diagnosed, and it is being totally controlled with diet. But if he were ever to go on dry food again, he would relapse. Do the best for your cat, read the ingredients. Good Luck.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
well i went to petsmart today and all i could find was authority, so i got some of the wet, and then i got a bag of dry kitten formula for my kitty, but ive started giving her some of the wet also.

My cats are not picky eaters, i fed them their 1st can and they woofed it down.
it wasnt that much more expensive, for a few dollars more id rather know they are getting something healthier.

Next time im going to try Petco and see if they have some of the other brands mentioned in this thread, if i never would have came across this site i would have prob kept feeding them the grocery store stuff cause i didnt know any better.