Question for the ladies - pms & nausea

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so i usually get the cramps/pains etc like most women. I don't know if it was a combination of bad timing and something i ate. But yesterday when i woke up i felt a huge wave of nausea hit me. I never vomited, but through the day i did run to the bathroom and wait for something to come. I felt horrid lying down, but it was much better than when i stood up and walked around, that made me feel like i wanted to vomit.

I've read that some women do get sick during pms. In the 12 years i've had it, i've not once felt like this. So do you think it's just one of those things that happens on random occasion? I'm ok now (apart from feeling empty and having the pms pains).

Ugh, i hate being female.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happens to me EVERY SINGLE MONTH, it sucks & has been happening since I'm 10 (I'm 26 now), I also get back cramps, so I feel you dear, however it could just be what u ate

feel better

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh that sucks! I used to get it way worse but don't seem to any more. The body works in strange, mysterious ways.

you feel 100% soon!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had horrible PMS and periods. Although being nausea isn't a regular symptom, it happens sometimes. Our bodies are going through so much during this time, we often become more sensitive, physically and emotionally
!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do get nauseous, usually around day 2 of it. Lack of appetite, and just a yucky feeling in my tummy. It only started happening within the last year or so. It usually lingers for a day or two.

(could be because I'm iron deficient, and become moreso during that time).

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, God. I can totally relate to the bad period thing. I sometimes get cramps so bad that I almost pass out, not from the pain, I think I have anemia from blood loss. I also have back pains during that time of the month, and nausea. But yes, being a female SUCKS sometimes.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started having nausea about a year ago, and I WOULD throw up. I believe now that it's an Iron deficiency (I'm a vegetarian, so it makes so much sense). I just try to remember to take the B12 vitamins before each period starts.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes ,.... I would get nauseous, in addition to everything else. I also developed terrible fibroids over time, which eventually resulted in me having a partial (uterine) hysterectomy. I feel for you....

Track this... if it keeps happening around this time of the month... tell your OBGYN.

There are stomach bugs going around, too.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dog

I started having nausea about a year ago, and I WOULD throw up. I believe now that it's an Iron deficiency (I'm a vegetarian, so it makes so much sense). I just try to remember to take the B12 vitamins before each period starts.
I'm not a vegatarian but I am iron deficient....which of course gets worse during the monthly (borderline anemic). My Dr. prescribed iron pills to take regularly.... but I'm curious what the B 12 vitamins do? I wonder if its something I should look into as well.

thx

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the OP, that doesn't sound normal at least to me. I would also track this and tell your doctor.

Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm not a vegatarian but I am iron deficient....which of course gets worse during the monthly (borderline anemic). My Dr. prescribed iron pills to take regularly.... but I'm curious what the B 12 vitamins do? I wonder if its something I should look into as well.
thx
You get B12 through animal sources. This includes eggs and dairy, which most vegetarians consume, some do not though. A little bit of B-12 goes a long way to meeting recommendations. Most people don't need to supplement and if you do supplement most forms aren't readily absorbed, a high quality chewable is best, some take shots.
If you are concerned about your diet and need more iron, I suggest visiting a dietitian for a great investment in your health.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get a sore throat every month right before that speacial time
it took me years and years to figure out it was pms, and not a cold
i missed out on alot of stuff thinking i was sick. might as well stay home then anyway, its the nice thing to do

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I call it the " monthly flu" .... I have for 22 yrs now had nausea , vomiting , cramps and other issues at that time of the month.. Mine is during and the PMDD before ...lol.. wonder why I am single

Normal NO but not ABNORMAL either

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a form of dysautonomia, one of the common things in all the women that have it (and it's mostly women that do have the common forms of it) is more problems before and during menstruation. So I don't know if the nausea I get is from one or the other - I didn't have it till the dys issues got worse. Nausea can be affected/caused by the vagus nerve (part of the autonomic nervous system - dysfunction in which is called dysautonomia). Now I get nausea at the oddest times.
Of course the changing hormone levels really mess with my blood pressure, too, which can also cause nausea.

Never had any emotional issues or pain from pms - I guess I'm sort of lucky there.

Those with iron and B12 deficiencies need to correct this. Don't wait till your next check up, or put it off for a few months. Make the appointment tomorrow, get your levels checked and discuss treatment with your doctor. Get over any dislike of needles, you're adults. Low B12 especially can cause nerve and neurological issues. It would be better not to let one's body be damaged from something that can be corrected.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I have a form of dysautonomia, one of the common things in all the women that have it (and it's mostly women that do have the common forms of it) is more problems before and during menstruation. So I don't know if the nausea I get is from one or the other - I didn't have it till the dys issues got worse. Nausea can be affected/caused by the vagus nerve (part of the autonomic nervous system - dysfunction in which is called dysautonomia). Now I get nausea at the oddest times.
Of course the changing hormone levels really mess with my blood pressure, too, which can also cause nausea.

Never had any emotional issues or pain from pms - I guess I'm sort of lucky there.

Those with iron and B12 deficiencies need to correct this. Don't wait till your next check up, or put it off for a few months. Make the appointment tomorrow, get your levels checked and discuss treatment with your doctor. Get over any dislike of needles, you're adults. Low B12 especially can cause nerve and neurological issues. It would be better not to let one's body be damaged from something that can be corrected.
Interesting - there is a type of dysautonomia called FD (familial dysautonomia) or Riley-Day Syndrome. I lost a sister to it. Wonder if that has anything to do with my digestive issues????

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Interesting - there is a type of dysautonomia called FD (familial dysautonomia) or Riley-Day Syndrome. I lost a sister to it. Wonder if that has anything to do with my digestive issues????
I'm sorry to hear that.
Familial is different, it makes itself known when the child is very young and usually a person with it won't live passed their 30s... Other forms dys are suspected in SIDS, interestingly enough.

However, other forms of it can be genetic, too. I'm not sure if I've seen much about your digestive problems mentioned on here? I know I have my share of them, but have been diagnosed with NCS and if I could find a doctor who knew about it around here would probably get diagnosed with POTS, too.
I usually see those with POTS that have chronic constipation and motility issues such as gastroparesis. This is due to the ANS either being damaged or not properly telling the digestive tract to move food through how it's supposed to.

O/T - but information is good for people.

And a neat little article mentions how PMS and PMDD affect the autonomic nervous system. I've seen mention of this a lot before, and used to have some info bookmarked... This very likely is a direct cause of nausea (pain aside) that many get with PMS.

Sharky - the bit about PMDD may interest you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I'm sorry to hear that.
Familial is different, it makes itself known when the child is very young and usually a person with it won't live passed their 30s... Other forms dys are suspected in SIDS, interestingly enough.

However, other forms of it can be genetic, too. I'm not sure if I've seen much about your digestive problems mentioned on here? I know I have my share of them, but have been diagnosed with NCS and if I could find a doctor who knew about it around here would probably get diagnosed with POTS, too.
I usually see those with POTS that have chronic constipation and motility issues such as gastroparesis. This is due to the ANS either being damaged or not properly telling the digestive tract to move food through how it's supposed to.

O/T - but information is good for people.

And a neat little article mentions how PMS and PMDD affect the autonomic nervous system. I've seen mention of this a lot before, and used to have some info bookmarked... This very likely is a direct cause of nausea (pain aside) that many get with PMS.

Sharky - the bit about PMDD may interest you.
Thank you , I do have issues with my nervous system

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Thank you , I do have issues with my nervous system
Nervous system is vague - there's so many parts, autonomic, central, somatic, enteric, which all go back into other parts. the ANS has more to do with your body's "automatic" actions - digestion, breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, and such.
The easiest way to tell if the ANS has problems with it is that there is usually heart rate and blood pressure issues that fall outside of what's consider normal for a healthy person. Many with CFS and some with fibromyagia will show problems in their ANS (for those on here who have either). It wouldn't be surprising if women with that have bad PMS and PMDD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this thread carried off lol.

Thanks for all your replies, makes me feel a little more normal. Feeling sick is something i don't experience during pms. I woke up feeling 10 times better yesterday, but i still have this bottomless pit feeling. But do not feel the need to puke

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Only a little, everything comes back around in the end.

Maybe you were a bit dehydrated or low on a mineral/vitamin this time around making pms hit you harder? Or maybe something else is going on that should be double checked. If anything else is off or you have this again next month consider a thorough check up. You body is probably warning you of something.

Eat light, and I hope you get to feeling better.