TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Bedtime Badness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bedtime Badness

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I'll take you through my preparation for bedtime and what happens when we get to bed and maybe I can get some suggestions...

I play with Poppy on and off all evening. Sometimes he'll take a 5 to 10 minute nap but sometimes he stays up the whole time I'm home from 6pm until bedtime which is usually 10:30pm.

When it's time for bed I take up Poppy's favorite blanket and put it on the one side of the bed and make it into a circular "bed" for him. I also bring up a tiny stuffed duck in case he starts chewing on me then I can redirect him with it.

Sometimes, before bed I get on the computer and when I'm there he climbs up on my lap, curls up and starts falling asleep. So then I'm ready to go to bed so I slowly and carefully move him to his bed on my bed, go back and turn off lights and such and then as soon as I get in bed he goes spazo. He's running around the bed, going under the covers on top and in between the pillows, and trying to bite me (hands, fingers and face) so I give him ducky. He'll even come up to me, sit on my chest and start licking my face then he'll bite me hard, usually on the nose. It takes awhile until he finally calms down and goes to sleep either in his bed or on my chest.

He'll only sleep a few hours and as soon as he wakes up he wants to play some more, so I take him and his bed downstairs and block off the stairs so he can't come back in my bedroom. I never hear any noise from him during the night then.

So anyways...last night he would not calm down and he bit my nose so hard. I yelled "NO" and put him on his bed and immediately carried him and his bed downstairs so I could get some sleep because it was midnight by then.

Is there anything else I can do to get him to calm down while we're in bed? Or is this just a kitten thing and he has to learn and I have to be patient?!? I want him to sleep in my bed with me.

I don't remember Monti being like this. I hate that I keep comparing Poppy to Monti. Is it bad that I'm comparing them?
post #2 of 8
Its a kitten thing. mine grew out of the crazyest parts about 9 months old. How old is Poppy?
post #3 of 8
Kittens are teenagers, they can be ruthless! It sounds like Poppy needs a little social correction. I don't know how old he was when you adopted him, but it is the mom kitty and the siblings who teach them social etiquette, including physical pain threshold and respect. Some are simply little monsters sometimes! Often a loud oww or heyy will startle and stop them. Sometimes blowing in their face works. I wouldn't let him nap before bedtime, keep him going with toys and whatever stimulation you can. It definitely is a kitten thing, he will grow out of it eventually........
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Poppy is about 12 weeks old now. I think he was found outside, his mom might have abandoned him and his two sisters. Someone found them and took them to the vet and then said they were about 7 weeks old.

Oh, I so hope he grows out of it. I'll keep trying to be patient and do the loud noises and blowing in the face. Thank you.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy0109 View Post
Poppy is about 12 weeks old now. I think he was found outside, his mom might have abandoned him and his two sisters. Someone found them and took them to the vet and then said they were about 7 weeks old.

Oh, I so hope he grows out of it. I'll keep trying to be patient and do the loud noises and blowing in the face. Thank you.
Ohhhh, he is very young! You are mom now, so be prepared! He doesn't know any better and is just looking for love, acknowledgment and comfort! If he gets overly aggressive at bed time, a trick I have always used is tackling them down and overloading them with love snuggles!
Most importantly at this age is to keep him awake an active for as long as possible before bedtime. Feed him atleast 1 hour before bedtime. Also give him self entertaining toys and physical challenges. Window perches, ramps, kitty condos.......
post #6 of 8
My bedtime routine:

Shut off TV and lamp in living room. The Bandit senses this is bedtime and races into bedroom. I enter bedroom, The Bandit hops up on the bed being all flirtatious and cooing at me. I crawl under the covers just in time to avoid The Nugget tearing up my bare legs as she zips onto the bed and up the length of my body to head butt me. The Ditto who is still in the living room begins talking to himself. I holler at him to come to bed. He wanders in, finds the other two already there and leaves. The dog jumps up after invitation and The Nugget begins her nightly attack on dog's tail. The dog growls and both cats disappear. Sleep comes. Two hours before my alarm goes off I am awoken by The Nugget's roaring purr and incessant head butts.
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Ohhhh, he is very young! You are mom now, so be prepared! He doesn't know any better and is just looking for love, acknowledgment and comfort! If he gets overly aggressive at bed time, a trick I have always used is tackling them down and overloading them with love snuggles!
Most importantly at this age is to keep him awake an active for as long as possible before bedtime. Feed him atleast 1 hour before bedtime. Also give him self entertaining toys and physical challenges. Window perches, ramps, kitty condos.......
I'll try the love snuggles too. When I come home, I always pick him up and cuddle him under my chin and to my chest and give him kisses. He seems to enjoy it.

He has dry food all day. I've tried a few canned wet foods but he didn't eat them. I'm planning on going to Pet Supplies Plus today and getting a whole array of canned foods to see what he'll like & eat. I got a coupon in the mail from them to spend $30.00 get $5.00 off -or- spend $60.00 get $10.00 off. Woohoo!

He has plenty of toys. I made him a window perch, he has a box (which I'm planning on adding more boxes to, to make a "cheap" condo), he has the ultimate scratching post which he's loving, he has balls and a half ball thingie with feathers that makes bird noises when he plays with it. Lots of stuff to keep him busy!
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfox View Post
My bedtime routine:

Shut off TV and lamp in living room. The Bandit senses this is bedtime and races into bedroom. I enter bedroom, The Bandit hops up on the bed being all flirtatious and cooing at me. I crawl under the covers just in time to avoid The Nugget tearing up my bare legs as she zips onto the bed and up the length of my body to head butt me. The Ditto who is still in the living room begins talking to himself. I holler at him to come to bed. He wanders in, finds the other two already there and leaves. The dog jumps up after invitation and The Nugget begins her nightly attack on dog's tail. The dog growls and both cats disappear. Sleep comes. Two hours before my alarm goes off I am awoken by The Nugget's roaring purr and incessant head butts.
Wow! You have a busy household.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Behavior
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Behavior › Bedtime Badness