Cat not letting me sleep

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted Hank early January and ever since, he won't let me sleep. We started shutting the door when he would come in and attack my feet as I sleep. Well he started scratching the carpet and door frame until we opened the door to let him in. We tried moving him into our spare bedroom where the other cats sleep but he would thump the door at night. So we started opening our bedroom door again and he still continues to attack me in my sleep.
I'm a 9 hour a night sleeper and this is starting to get annoying plus I'm ultra cranky because I'm only getting about 6 hours a night now.
Any suggestions on what I can do to help him adjust? I just want some sleep!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Youre not allowed to have sleep around kittens
why dont they tell you that when you bring them home?!

my feet were tormented for months, and people thought i must have a baby the way i was so tired.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Youre not allowed to have sleep around kittens
why dont they tell you that when you bring them home?!

my feet were tormented for months, and people thought i must have a baby the way i was so tired.
I got more sleep last night. Hank only woke me up once. Morgan wasn't this bad when she was a kitten and she slept in our room with us the first 8 months lol.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In general itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a kitten thing, they just have to grow out of it.

My Spooky wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let me sleep when I got him (he was 7 months and semi-feral). He liked to bite my hands/feet trying to play. What finally worked was to allow him to stay in my room with me at night, but the first time he jumped on me, attacked/bit or in general tried to wake me up he was told a stern “No†and stopped from whatever he was doing. If he did it again, he was taken out of my room and put in “time out†in the bathroom (with food, water, a bed and litterbox) for the remainder of the night. It didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t take very long at all of that and he started sleeping all night.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zooy

We adopted Hank early January and ever since, he won't let me sleep. We started shutting the door when he would come in and attack my feet as I sleep. Well he started scratching the carpet and door frame until we opened the door to let him in. We tried moving him into our spare bedroom where the other cats sleep but he would thump the door at night. So we started opening our bedroom door again and he still continues to attack me in my sleep.
I'm a 9 hour a night sleeper and this is starting to get annoying plus I'm ultra cranky because I'm only getting about 6 hours a night now.
Any suggestions on what I can do to help him adjust? I just want some sleep!
Alley used to jump on DW's chest in the middle of the night and then nuzzle up under her chin and start drooling. This was very annoying so DW just started lifting her up and laying her in between us. She finally got the message and now gets on the bed and lays down between us on her own.

phillygal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy greets me every morning - like clockwork - between 4:00 and 4:30 a.m. My normal wake-up time is 6:30, so this has become a bit of an issue.
He jumps on the pillow and wants to be cuddled. So I do that - I admit, I am half-asleep - absent-mindedly, stroking his neck while he purrs away. After a few minutes of that, he jumps off the bed and goes on to other pursuits, like kicking the cord of the window blind around. He is just under a year and in many ways still a baby and still learning to live in a house. I know he will grow out of it and I try to make time each evening for playtime with his feather wand to tire him out. But he seems to have endless energy - could I borrow some???
- and an endless capacity for having fun. In his little feline mind, he probably thinks I enjoy his dawn visits and would miss them and he doesn't wish to disappoint me!

libby'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having this issue as well and I have two cats. Apollo is quiet, but Rocky starts crying every half-hour from 4:00 in the morning until I wake up at 7. I am so tired right now because I haven't had a good nights sleep since my husband went to BCT. Rocky is driving me crazy! They are 10 months old.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could always start crating him, in the farthest room in your house. Or in your bedroom, and try and ignore it all night until he gets used to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a small update on the situation.
We're trying something different. We noticed that Hank only attacks us when the girls are sleeping. And they sleep mostly during the night, so we assume he's bored.
So we've brought out all our old stuffies and keep a couple in each room. If Hank starts attacking, we toss him a stuffie and he attacks that.
Hopefully this will help a bit.
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Zane usually joins me for a cuddle right after I go to bed. He'll purr me to sleep. Generally if I wake up at night, he'll have gone, but if I get up to use the bathroom, he'll join me when I go back to bed.

Some time between 6:30 and 7:30 am he'll start yowling until I get up. He's better than an alarm clock.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

You could always start crating him, in the farthest room in your house. Or in your bedroom, and try and ignore it all night until he gets used to.
Crating a cat?
Never heard of it. Where would the food and litter be?

mzkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand! I love my sleep or should I say I need it.

here are some suggetions.

fix a hard plastic sheet on the door (when kitty scratches it looses effect as it makes no noise.) I assume you are closing kitty out right!

play white noise in your room (fan, or light music) to drown out meowing.

Play vigorously with kitty before bed about 2 hours on the floor and all about hahah.

Make sure kits has food and water out. Plus loads of toys.

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've had a ton of problems with Squeaky meowing at night. We tried ignoring her to see if she would stop. She didn't. We tried spraying her with water to see if she would stop. She didn't. We hadn't had a decent night's sleep in 2 months, and were at our wit's end.

Thankfully (knock on wood), we're now a week of meow free nights. About an hour before bedtime, we play with the laser, a lot. Like, play with it until she gets bored, not until my fingers can't press the button anymore.

Then, right as we're going to bed, we feed her. We feed her twice in the day, once at about 6:30 am, and then not until 9 pm, so she's usually pretty hungry by then. And, we put content-ums in her food.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3548

We're at the point now where we're going to start reducing the content-ums drops, and hopefully she'll still stay quiet.

anjhest

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have three cats, all of whom sleep completely through the night, every night. I don't know what we did right, I assumed this was somewhat common until now! I do have one who is a cuddlebug and bothers me quite a bit when I first lay down. If I just pet her for a few minutes she'll fall asleep and leave me alone.

I will say that IGNORING your cat is the only thing that has a chance at being effective. Cats are feisty little critters and any reaction (including squirting them or yelling at them) will only make them even more obnoxious. If our cats start harrassing us too early in the morning, we bury our head under the covers to avoid eye contact with them!