Self Cleaning litter boxes

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive heard good things about them. They would be great if you go on trips alot (like me and SO) and your cat sitter doesnt love scooping the box 9like my mom
)

they are expensive usually, so if you found a good deal id buy it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kunskitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do those roll litterboxes work well? Like I put in my first post?

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried one a few years ago and didn't work for me. If the cat "poops" on the apparatus (very easy to do), the system gets clogged and is a big mess to clean. This happened almost every other day because the box isn't big enough to accommodate the various places the cat wants to go.

I found that it was definitely more trouble than it was worth. Scooping daily is MUCH easier!

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one of the rolling boxes. Paid $35 for the
thing. They definitely fall into the more trouble than they are worth category. The clips that hold the both together are not very sturdy. I had to use plastic zip-ties at one joint. They can leak when you roll them and you can't really tell if you got everything and no the scooping mechanism is not perfect. I much prefer a cheap litterbox and a litter locker.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 4 littermaid boxes - 1 basic, 1 that's not made anymore, & 2 elite. i like the basic the best [as do the cats] - it's also the oldest one. i had another of the ones that's no longer made, which broke [they eventually break, is what i've found]. i like not coming home to 'catbox smell', but they do require some scooping, especially if you have [like i do] a cat that's a corner pee-er.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Litter Robots, and I love them! They roll themselves, lol. I've had one for almost 2 years (2 years in June or July) and no issues. They also come with a hassle free 18 month warranty (my sister had to use hers once- they shipped her the new base and she sent the old base back in the same box). It also only uses kitchen trash bags and scoopable cat litter, so there is nothing extra to buy after purchasing the box.

Do follow the directions for acclimating your cat to it- my sister didn't, and that's why I have 2
. All 4 ( well, now 3
) of our cats use it, even my "freaky" cat, lol, and they were all seniors when I got mine. Even if you turn it on manually and "scoop" the box a couple of times a day when your cats aren't around, it is so nice! I have lung issues, so it really helps me to not have to scoop. Here's the website so you can check it out if you want:

http://www.litter-robot.com/?gclid=C...FQE0xgodESWW0Q

And here's a link for a $20 coupon if you email a friend about it:

http://www.litter-robot.com/holiday-promotion.aspx

Or here's one on ebay, but I don't know how the warranty works if you buy it from someone else:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTER-ROBOT-II-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Oh, I almost forgot- both of my litterboxes are reconditioned from the Litter Robot company. They were about $50 cheaper than new, though you may have to wait for them to get some in stock- they have a 90 trial period where you can send it back if "you or your cat" (lol) doesn't like it.

Good luck on your litter box hunt!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just ordered the Littermaid mega elite because it said it was for multiple cats (versus the regular one). Laureen, why do you like the regular one the best? I haven't gotten mine yet but maybe I should have gotten the regular one. I ordered it because I'm having knee replacements and I won't be able to do much for a couple weeks.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want a litter genie!! Way to expensive right now though! lol

I have a couple littermaids, but they only work in areas only a few cats use them. Or else they get clogged up from over use. (And they go off every few minutes).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I just ordered the Littermaid mega elite because it said it was for multiple cats (versus the regular one). Laureen, why do you like the regular one the best? I haven't gotten mine yet but maybe I should have gotten the regular one. I ordered it because I'm having knee replacements and I won't be able to do much for a couple weeks.
just seems to be made better - also, the new receptacles are a thinner, less durable plastic [probably to keep people from doing what i do - line them w/a plastic bag & reuse them]. oh, it also doesn't seem to 'scoop' as well - the tines are metal now instead of plastic, & are thinner. still have the corner pee-ing problem, it just doesn't stick to the tines like it does to the plastic ones - but i still have to go in & clean out clumps that form behind the rake.

i also like the fact that it's smaller - mainly because i have 3 boxes in one of the closets, & 1 box in another closet. the fact that it's smaller doesn't seem to faze anyone [not even my plus-sized guy, Chip] as the oldest box is the favored one. needs emptying twice as often as the newer boxes.

i really don't feel it is worth the price difference - but that's just me. if/when the newer ones need replacing, i'll either bite the bullet & get a litter-robot, or buy the basic model of the littermaid [depending on my financial status at the time].

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My soon to be MIL and I were at Petco getting stuff for Maggie and this lady randomly told us how awesome those rolling litter boxes were...we looked at them but decided to go with the basic.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

just seems to be made better - also, the new receptacles are a thinner, less durable plastic [probably to keep people from doing what i do - line them w/a plastic bag & reuse them]. oh, it also doesn't seem to 'scoop' as well - the tines are metal now instead of plastic, & are thinner. still have the corner pee-ing problem, it just doesn't stick to the tines like it does to the plastic ones - but i still have to go in & clean out clumps that form behind the rake.

i also like the fact that it's smaller - mainly because i have 3 boxes in one of the closets, & 1 box in another closet. the fact that it's smaller doesn't seem to faze anyone [not even my plus-sized guy, Chip] as the oldest box is the favored one. needs emptying twice as often as the newer boxes.

i really don't feel it is worth the price difference - but that's just me. if/when the newer ones need replacing, i'll either bite the bullet & get a litter-robot, or buy the basic model of the littermaid [depending on my financial status at the time].
Thanks for the input. I guess at least I only paid $15 more for the mega elite. We'll see how it performs!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kunskitten

What is the best kind of self cleaning litter box to get for the value? And do they really work? I only have one cat using the litterbox so everyone knows. do they work? What should I be looking for?
Yes. I have two of the Roll n' Clean boxes. They are incredible. Just read the reviews at Amazon. You've never seen so many raves about a darn cat box.

The one you linked on EBAY is the regular size, which is too small for everyday use. Most people buy the large size.

I have two cats that use one of the boxes 90% of the time. I roll it once a day. After a month, I switch the two boxes, so the high use box goes downstairs and the low use box goes upstairs. I change the litter in each box every 60 days -- although, to be honest, you are constantly changing the litter by adding more anyway.

The most amazing thing. I have a "side pee'er" kitty. She pees against the side wall of the box in the same place every time. That kind of thing is pain to scoop. Not with this box. As it's halfway rolled over, I give the bottom a good thump. The big clump just falls away and into the drawer.

I cannot recommend these boxes strongly enough. They are fantastic. Most people who don't like them didn't put them together correctly. It pretty easy to not assemble it correctly and then it's a mess. It's pretty easy to explain how to do it correctly.

BTW, with one cat, you could stretch it and roll every other day.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

The most amazing thing. I have a "side pee'er" kitty. She pees against the side wall of the box in the same place every time. That kind of thing is pain to scoop. Not with this box. As it's halfway rolled over, I give the bottom a good thump. The big clump just falls away and into the drawer.
i hear that - i have 'corner pee-ers' - worst place for the littermaid boxes, which is what i have. it's mostly Chip - Mouse used to, then after she died none of them did that... when i got Chip, it started again, so i'm pretty sure it's him

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my Littermaid elite mega and I LOVE IT! It was a lot bigger then I expected and it works like a charm. Cats seemed to adjust to it almost immediately. I let them sit in and play a bit in the main box before I set it up and when I did set it up, they started using it right away. I put it in my room for now because I have to clean out some of the storage stuff in the spare room. But it doesn't even wake me up at night! Maybe they updated it a bit?? I don't know but I LOVE IT!!