Hypo-allergenic foods??

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fasa's mouth has started to get infected again after only being off his meds for a week and a half this time. Obviously they are not working so I was going to see if it may be a food allergy first(as someone on here suggested) before I take him in for more tests.
Right now he's on MediCal Fiber Formula to help control is diarrhea(which I'm thinking may actually be from a food allergy).Here are the ingredients:

Brewers Rice, Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Pea Fibre, Corn, Dried Whole Egg, Beet Pulp, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid and Lecithin), Liver Digest, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Flax Meal, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate and Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E, Niacin, Inositol, Vitamin C, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3), DL-Methionine, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Taurine, L-Carnitine and L-Glutamine.

I'm thinking that he's allergic to beef, turkey and chicken since every time I give him a piece of them, he vomits within half an hour, so I'd like to try something that doesn't have those in it.

Can anyone suggest any types of food that may help with this problem?(price is not an issue)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came to this forum this morning looking for info about hypo-allergenic foods too! Our cat has had chronic diarrhea and gas pretty much his whole life and we're always trying to sort it out.
This week we're going to to the vet to get some vet-only food such as g/d (gastro diet) which as I understand is hydrolized protein. Apparently, protein allergy is very common, and this is what we're hoping is the case with Wiggies.
The last thing we've tried is Arcana which is Origen's revised food with just fish source proteins. He seems to be a little better on this, but is a fussy eater and wants some wet too instead of just the kibble.

Buying the Hills & Science Diets feels like a step backwards to me, just because of the disgusting ingredient list. But they're the only ones who made a hydrolized protein food, so we're going to try it.
I would suggest the same to you for your kitty. You have to be strict about no treats too. We use the dried fish pieces as treats, and both cats love them.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My allergy boy gets EVO 95% meat canned. That's the only thing that has worked for us so far. They have venison and duck flavors. It's a single source protein food, grain-free and extremely limited ingredients. We just started introducing Natural Balance Duck and Pea dry kibble and he's doing well with that so far, too (knock wood!), which is also single source protein and grain-free. I believe that grain allergies are pretty common as well. Our cat seems to be allergic to most grains, chicken and turkey.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO likely allergens

Brewers Ricenot because its rice but how it is processed likely cross contamination, Chicken Mealnot high likely but it happens, Corn Gluten Mealcorn is not the level allergen in cats it is in dogs , Pea FibreHIGH allergen, Corn, Dried Whole Egg, Beet Pulpanother not the substance but processing and treating , Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid and Lecithin), Liver Digestthis could be many many different meats or possibly not a meat at all, Brewers Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Flax Meal, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate and Sodium Selenite), Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E, Niacin, Inositol, Vitamin C, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Biotin, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D3), DL-Methionine, Fructo-Oligosaccharides, Taurine, L-Carnitine and L-Glutamine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you for all the replies. It gives me some options to chose from. I really hope that this is whats wrong. He's been on so many antibiotics and steroids and I hope that this can fix his runny stools, vomiting, and mouth infections.
I am going to need to get antibiotics for his mouth though i guess for his current infection, but i think I'm going to stay away from the steroids since someone on here suggested that it may be a herpes virus and that steroids will make it worse.

angelwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat had really soft/runny stools for weeks when I brought him home. He's been on Orijen (orange bag) for a couple months now and he seems to be doing much better. I think the grain free really helps.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Medi=cal does have a hypoallergenic/gastro formula - many of the cats at the animal hospital where I work are on it. I'm not endorsing the food but just letting you know.

Wellness has a Simple Solutions line which I think are for animals with allergies or tummy issues. They also offer grain-free canned from a single source like turkey or chicken. Typically, cats are allergic to fish, beef and dairy. Try a food with a single source protein and it'll be easier to pinpoint which protein she's allergic to. If you find one that she can tolerate, stick with it. EVO is a good choice too and it's grain-free. I think duck is supposed to be good for food allergies.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

Wellness has a Simple Solutions line which I think are for animals with allergies or tummy issues. They also offer grain-free canned from a single source like turkey or chicken.
Wellness Simple Solutions is only available for dogs Also, the poster is saying the kitty is vomiting after eating chicken or turkey.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Wellness Simple Solutions is only available for dogs Also, the poster is saying the kitty is vomiting after eating chicken or turkey.
oops thanks for correcting me.

Ok on that note, Nature's Variety Instinct has some single source protein wet foods in Rabbit, Venison and Duck? I believe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothicangel69

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was talking to the vet yesterday and he suggested going with a grain free single protein food (he recommended trying duck or lamb). He also prescribed some antibiotics for me to pick up tomorrow. If that doesn't work, then he wants to do a CBC.