To all you ladies out there...........

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is Jade Goody. She made her fame and fortune when she became one of the housemates on the first UK Big Brother show.

Jade had abnormal cells on her cervix, but wouldn't go for treatment because of the discomfort she went through having them removed years previous.

http://sify.com/movies/hollywood/ful...hp?id=14747451

She found out while she was doing a Big Brother show in India that the cells had turned cancerous and she needed treatment immediatly.

Jade was informed on friday that she now has a few months to live. She's only 27, and she'll be leaving behind two sons aged 4 and 5

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/...5875-21123815/

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_head...name_page.html

MAKE SURE YOU GET YOURSELVES CHECKED!!

It's been reported that the number of young girls going for cervical checks has risen since this was first published.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why I am an advocate for the HPV Vaccine. While it doesn't protect against all strains of HPV, it does protect against the 2 most common ones that are responsible for cervical cancer.

My condolences to Jane and her family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jade hasn't died yet, but she only has a few months, but i think it'll be a matter of weeks because she's in a lot of pain now

Linda their starting to give the injection to girls here from the age of 16

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this story.

I have all my tests done in January every year (it's easy to remember when you clump them all into the same month)... just saw my doctor for the results on Thursday and all is well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

just saw my doctor for the results on Thursday and all is well.
That's great to hear

Theres just been a picture of her on the news because she was in a wheelchair going to pick out a wedding dress for their quick marriage, and she didn't look well at all

Harrods owner Al Fayed gave her the dress as a wedding gift, and Elton Johns offered his mansion as the venue for the wedding.

She's known for being a scatterbrain, but no one deserves this

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that's awful
I go to the girly doc every single year, have since I was 18

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
women over here from 18 - 25 get the three injections done for free.

myfamiliars

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder, Susan. I tend to put off going to the gyno for many reasons, but there is really no excuse not to go yearly. I did make it last year, and I am resolved to go this year, too.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I already got the 3 shots for the HPV. I actually have to go back to the gynocologist (sp! lol) in a few months. My doc. (its a she) told me i dont need to get a pap-smere until i am either sexually active (i am not) or by 25i think? But my mom wants me to get blood work done soon. My great grandma had brest cancer and my grandma had cancer in her lip, soit could be genetic. I hope for the best for Jane and that a miracle will come, and i will pray for her and her family.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thx for the reminder! My doctor never lets me forget
its embarasing when the pharmacist tells you the doc says she wants you in soon, or no more BC pills!

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

This is why I am an advocate for the HPV Vaccine. While it doesn't protect against all strains of HPV, it does protect against the 2 most common ones that are responsible for cervical cancer.

My condolences to Jane and her family.

I agree with Natalie on advocating for the vaccine. However, please be aware that even getting the vaccine doesn't protect you against HPV 100% and there are still other things that could go wrong. So it's still important to get pap tests regularly as advised by your doctor.

The other thing to keep in mind is that, even with the new advances in the pap test technology, the test is not and probably never will be completely accurate. It's very possible to miss cancerous cells, either because they weren't picked up in the sample the doctor took or because they were missed in the laboratory. That's another reason to get screened regularly. Cervical cancer is very curable if it's caught early. If you have a multi-year gap between screenings and one is a false negative, you could go for years having it and not knowing.

The organization I work for sponsors the website www.myhealthtestreminder.org. You can log on there and get an e-mail reminder automatically sent to you every year when it's time to schedule your pap test so you don't forget. It only takes a minute to register.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I go every 6 months for testing. and have been vaccinated better safe then sorry!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about this. How does HPV get spread? Through sex with someone who has it? So, if someone gets checked once, doesn't have it and doesn't have any other sexual partners for a few years, does that mean yearly is not necessary?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind that there are a small percent of cervical cancer that is NOT caused by HPV. There is no excuse to not get your yearly exam. All you will do is harm yourself by not going, regardless of your sexual activity or lack of.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even if you're not sexually active, or haven't been for a few years, you should get a pap smear regularly as far as I'm concerned. It's not just looking for HPV, it's looking for any changes or problems, and until we can look right up there ourselves, then you need to be getting yearly checks.

That's so sad about Jade. I remember all her Big Brother controversy, and when she was diagnosed in India, I knew it would be bad, but I hadn't heard she was near the end
Those poor kids. I think the money is going to make things worse - everyone will be fighting over it.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I don't know much about this. How does HPV get spread? Through sex with someone who has it? So, if someone gets checked once, doesn't have it and doesn't have any other sexual partners for a few years, does that mean yearly is not necessary?
Yes, HPV is spread through sexual contact. It may be possible to have it and not show any symptoms. There are different strains that may manifest in different ways... some people may get warts, some people may develop cancer, and some people may not experience any symptoms. From what I understand, there is no way to screen for HPV in men, unless they have warts. For women, it could be detected through a pap, but not necessarily. It's probably best to be checked periodically.